ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Roofrats #3275245
08/15/12 04:44 PM
08/15/12 04:44 PM
Iowa, US
R
Robert E Offline OP
trapper
Robert E  Offline OP
trapper
R

Iowa, US
Ive never delt with roof rats, can someone give me some ideas?

Re: Roofrats [Re: Robert E] #3276421
08/16/12 09:59 AM
08/16/12 09:59 AM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Robert E

Roof rats are great acrobats, climbers and always nest over our heads.

Roof rats can chew wood, and can squeeze easily through spaces smaller then a US Nickel and can exploit small openings to access any home and often prefer attics over tree nest here in Florida.

In many ways roof rats can do whatever a gray squirrel can do and sometimes I even felt they were better. I found roof rats less neophobic compared to the Gray Squirrel and Norway Rat. I found they could often be gang set with snap traps and hit with the glue board strips (like I demonstrated in my snake trapping class last fall) in the rafters and air ducts where I observe feces and activity.

Its been awhile since I have done any roof rat work here ( we have cotton rats, woodland voles and common house mice) but down in Sarasota there was always more roof rat work then there was time in the day.

Residential work. Do the exclusion and begin getting rid of whats in the structure first. I prefer snap traps over live cages. I have used most anything edible to catch or capture them:

Peanut Butter, Rancid Bacon, Kiwi, Oranges. Bread. Sometimes I catch them by just baiting a treadle with whatever they are eating and tying it off with thread.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Roofrats [Re: Robert E] #3277799
08/16/12 11:33 PM
08/16/12 11:33 PM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
Robb, is that one of those little duke traps?

Re: Roofrats [Re: Robert E] #3277831
08/17/12 12:01 AM
08/17/12 12:01 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Yes it is . I got rid of very my last DUKE today. I traded out as bob white quail/chick/ carrier.

Today I prefer AES Traps by 330 Trapper

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread