ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: ] #3196510
06/22/12 12:20 PM
06/22/12 12:20 PM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
Originally Posted By: DaveK
I bet this trapping strategy is costing you money....in terms of referrals from other operators.

The other operators in my area are all so using bat traps. I was on a pod cast show with Robb Rusell he had a customer on the line. Giving the choice they would rather have them trapped and removed, then just excluded. I do not use this method on every job it's just another tool I can work with at this time. If and when they tell me it's illegal to trap bats in my state then and only then will I give up that tool.It not legal in all states to do this.

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3196534
06/22/12 12:43 PM
06/22/12 12:43 PM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
Davek sorry that this thread has gotten off the topic that you started. I did not think it was going to start a P1$$ing contest over how I run and handle my business. every controllers learns a certain way of doing thing and they stick to what they now. and do not look at the big picture.some controller like using just the exclude tubes in hopes that the bats are going to go to the neighbors so they can get another job off of them. If that's the case why trap and handle any wildlife that's being a niacin's. just exclude everything and hope it becomes the neighbor problem. I'm in the business to fix a problem not fix one and create another.

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3196859
06/22/12 05:16 PM
06/22/12 05:16 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
To save time I just run a extra long tube right into the neighbor attic . But what I'm finding is the neighbors already have bats . On the neighbors houses that are closed off to bat entry this system has been falling also . So I'm thinking I might need to start a feeding program .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3196971
06/22/12 07:17 PM
06/22/12 07:17 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
dew -

so now nobody can exclude unless they kill or relocate the wildlife? interesting point of view in this industry to take.

i'm also interested if you can decide which of a 50-100 bats crawling around in a panic inside a metal box when they
expected to emerge and fly are "sick" ones?

if you can really identify sick bats in a trap you should really send an email to the CDC or WHO, I bet they would pay nicely
for that skill.

exclusion is to solve the homeowners problem, they have defects in their home that allowed bats to be there, we all know this.

but in your opinion they will move next door and so in this case you must go offer exclusion for free to the neighbor right?

if not how do you guarantee no bats ever again unless you exterminate all bats in your area?

the idea that you do what the homeowner thinks is best when they aren't the professional says you are not professional.

if I went to a coyote call and the homeowner heard a 330 was a good set for their residential yard, would I put that trap out?

this industry is begging to be regulated and AR groups are always looking for poster boys for the bad methodology that
entirely lacks any evidence of being necessary.

i wish you could see that you do not need to use a bat trap to exclude, how many excluders with 20+ years of experience
are using that tool?

how do they get by without this magical device?

like everyone i get uneducated homeowners calling for advice and assistance every day.

my job is to educate them and dispel myths and make human wildlife conflict the most reduced it can be while making
a living.

yesterday morning had a call where the homeowners husband had killed 3 bats the night before that made it into the home.
animal control, and other local law had been there and removed the bats. when i arrived she wouldn't even take my cards because
they have bat images on them. i caught a single bat on her foyer ceiling and animal control gave me a live bat they removed that
morning.

by the time i left after excluding she not only took my cards and texted all her friends in this village, but she also let me release
the bats on her property to return to their young, and is allowing the colony to stay till blackout is over for pups.

this is part of my job as a wildlife control professional, what i see in this thread is damaging to our industry and I only feel pain
seeing the unrelenting need to use a device for exclusion that should only be used in extremely specific capture needs.

additionally many people don't know they have bats for many years, so the idea that you will just roll down the block excluding is laughable
at best. 90% of homeowners won't know they are there and 60%+ won't pay if they do.

also I have to say, just because other folks do bad things, vacuum, smash, etc.... that doesn't make it a defensible argument for an industry
seeking professional acknowledgement.

i've seen enough here to completely understand why this industry is going to get twisted by the AR folks until they break!

justin

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3196980
06/22/12 07:26 PM
06/22/12 07:26 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Funny, Pesky...

Dew - I understand that you are giving a customer a choice. However, choosing to offer this service is a morale decision. I wouldn't expect to change ones viewpoint on this topic, but it is good to know where a fellow MI operator stands on the subject.

It is important to balance the needs of the customer with the species of wildlife that has become an issue. We have no need for bat traps in this business. Bats migrate as part of their behavior - they will return to the home where they were trapped....or roost in the neighbors house. This is assuming that they survive the stress of trapping, transport, and migration. Personally, I would rather exclude every animal, than trap and relocate. However, this is not always an option for destructive wildlife such as rodents and raccoons.

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197062
06/22/12 08:35 PM
06/22/12 08:35 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Hey Dave I just used a excluder tub on some flyers and it worked good up in ortonville area . That was the first time I seen them up by you

Free Trapper
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197071
06/22/12 08:44 PM
06/22/12 08:44 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Cute buggers, eh? I have noticed more calls due to flying squirrels. You must be racking up the miles!

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197083
06/22/12 08:53 PM
06/22/12 08:53 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
I don't even want to talk about my new truck with 39.000 miles already .

Free Trapper
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197094
06/22/12 09:03 PM
06/22/12 09:03 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
We could trade areas I will stop going to ortonville and you stop sending your trucks to Bloomfield . Sounds like a good trade

Free Trapper
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197123
06/22/12 09:25 PM
06/22/12 09:25 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I would not do that to you....you would have to give up your gold prospecting on kersley creek.

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197155
06/22/12 09:59 PM
06/22/12 09:59 PM
shirley,long island New york
R
rockintheocean Offline
trapper
rockintheocean  Offline
trapper
R

shirley,long island New york

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197303
06/22/12 11:31 PM
06/22/12 11:31 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Well Dave I can't dig gold in kersley creek that's a trout street . So if noticed my truck parked by a bridge I was trout fishing or mink trapping . The shovel is just for making mink sets and a walking stick .

Free Trapper
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197467
06/23/12 08:47 AM
06/23/12 08:47 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Very good statements, justin and DaveK. Hey justin, your "shift" key is broken!
On a related subject, has anyone done any sexing of bats? I've got a bat job with the pregnant wife, bats in house, etc. Customer wants bats gone NOW.I thought if IF IF I could catch the bats humanely and they turned out to be males, he might go for it. Your comments, please.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Dave Schmidt] #3197482
06/23/12 09:12 AM
06/23/12 09:12 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Dave,

Sorry about that shift key, lazy typer last night.
My thought on your deal are that it isn't unreasonable
but for me would depend in how many in the colony
and what species and such.

The colony I noted in the last post were pallids and
we often see 10 or less in whole group, so a sample
of 3 or 4 might prove accurate. In other houses though
I have 2 or 3 species in the same house and wouldnt
feel confident without them being open roosting
where young would be visible.

Justin

Re: Ran into one bat infested house the other day [Re: Peskycritter] #3197620
06/23/12 12:09 PM
06/23/12 12:09 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Big browns are well hung....if that helps any. But, we assume that they are female unless there are just a few hanging in a louver vent. It does not take too long until the babies are flying. And, there is probably less risk of having them inside the living quarters, if you wait until they mature a little.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread