Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 116 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 115 116
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391606
10/27/12 10:58 PM
10/27/12 10:58 PM
Kotzebue AK
N
nolluk Offline
trapper
nolluk  Offline
trapper
N

Kotzebue AK
newhouse114...
you know of the instance in point hope personally? i take it you were part of the investigation? or did you watch the national geographic show and that makes you personally involved? they could not make a determination that there were "several hundred" there was a lot but they didn't have an actual number. i saw the same show does that make me personally involved? truthfully there were a lot of caribou that were wasted and "personally" i thought they should have strung them boys up by the short and curlies.

did you know about the musk ox that were wasted up there by a non native? were you personally involved in that investigation or did they not air that episode on national geographic? i cannot remember the amount he got but there was no excuse for that either.

Bring on cold weather,
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391609
10/27/12 10:59 PM
10/27/12 10:59 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
here they clean out seal guts and wash them and cook em up..they are rubbery but not bad smile

Oh and little red worms come out of the guts frown

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391644
10/27/12 11:25 PM
10/27/12 11:25 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Nolluk, I was not part of any investigation, I saw photographs of the dead caribou taken by an individual that was living in the village when it happened. He was not part of the investigation either, just an individual that made a photo documentation of the occurance. I did not see it on TV. How does my lack of explicit details change in any way what happened. I stated that there are abuses on all sides, commercial users, recreational users, and subsistence users of wildlife resources. Harvest laws should be enforced for all comers. I do not believe that one specific faction is "more" guilty of abuse than any other faction. If your opinion differs, you are entitled to your opinion.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391666
10/27/12 11:57 PM
10/27/12 11:57 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
This is awesome.... ....

The best part is I didn't start it either..... Lol...

What if the sky ho's (maggots) are transporting other Alaskans who may not have moose in their area?

Is the issue with only non-Alaskans?.... Or is it for everyone not from a village?

I mean, the people in kotz get mad at anchorage people from hunting there and taking "their" caribou.
YJs area doesn't like anchorage folk hunting their moose..
Heck I was talking to a guy from bethel about duck hunting there this fall, and he was upset that someone would go out there and shoot "his" ducks, he eats them.....
Never heard the people in cooper landing complain about people taking their sockeye from the Russian river
Never heard people of Seward or homer complaining about their halibut being caught by the greedy guides and anchorage people...

The butt soreness that goes on in this state is crazy.... The whole this is ours....stay away attitude....... But the minute fuel runs low or a barge can't make it, it is please come fast, hurry here to help us, send money, send fuel, send food, move our town from the erosion... Then once it is over, it is get the eff out and don't come back.... Until the next emergency..

And yet, everyone flies in here and rapes and pillages OUR Costco..........oh the inhumanity.... grin

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391670
10/28/12 12:01 AM
10/28/12 12:01 AM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Amazing how that works!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: Hupurest] #3391678
10/28/12 12:09 AM
10/28/12 12:09 AM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
But Huppy, how dare you shop at my Costco? You can come down here and shoot all "my" poo poo ducks you heart desires! On a lighter note felt the earth move this evening. A 7.7 down by Southern BC. Tsunami warnings in effect!

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391682
10/28/12 12:11 AM
10/28/12 12:11 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
They have a Tsunami warnning for you South east guys around Craig also Cape Decision and 85 mi S/E of Sitka and BC going to hit around 9:10 better head to high ground!

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391685
10/28/12 12:15 AM
10/28/12 12:15 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Hey ...I get full credit for this one Hup...back the ef off smile

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: yukonjeff] #3391709
10/28/12 12:35 AM
10/28/12 12:35 AM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
Hey ...I get full credit for this one Hup...back the ef off smile

Wow. This is serious. No you don't even want anyone else in your argument. grin

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: Hupurest] #3391723
10/28/12 12:46 AM
10/28/12 12:46 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Not unless your on my side smile

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391732
10/28/12 12:55 AM
10/28/12 12:55 AM
Kotzebue AK
N
nolluk Offline
trapper
nolluk  Offline
trapper
N

Kotzebue AK
No costco for me!!!!!! Amazon baby!!!!!!! Rope cereal diapers canned food Butt wipe.... free shipping!!!!!!!!

Bring on cold weather,
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: nolluk] #3391736
10/28/12 12:59 AM
10/28/12 12:59 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Me too I have my dirt shipped in for the garden..free shipping!..just got my butt wipe in the mail today! smile

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391737
10/28/12 01:01 AM
10/28/12 01:01 AM
Gnome, Alaska
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"
Alaskan  Offline
"AMY SUE"

Gnome, Alaska
This...is great!!! You know what they say about opinions...

"Goats pee in the water sheep drink."

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391757
10/28/12 02:21 AM
10/28/12 02:21 AM
Alaska
akpawpincher Offline
trapper
akpawpincher  Offline
trapper

Alaska
Dang, I take a couple of days off T man and when I get back it takes 20 minutes to read the wizzing contest posts on one thread... I'll be glad when White gets back and straightens you miscreants out! laugh A few bears getting killed here since the opener. Several are still in town though tearing through the "bear resistant" roll carts like it was a mile long smorgasbord.

Trapping and predator hunting since 1984: "So that others may live."
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391760
10/28/12 02:26 AM
10/28/12 02:26 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Quote:
No insults intended just stating the facts....but since you brought it up...you were/are living in teacher housing provided a maintance crew who even pumpes your stove oil and hauls your trash with two meals a daya also provided.

These are facts? Lets at least do the research before you start quoting them.

As in most rental situations is is not typically for renters to maintain the home. Not a lot of choice in that matter.
Housing Provided? At a cost! Payed for at the tune of $10,000 a year. But it did give me extra time to spend out side after school and weekends. No choice to live elsewhere. It was part of our contract we had to live in District Housing. Well at least pay for it.
But I was thankful we did have decent housing. I didn't and never will fit into the typical teacher mold.

Meals provided? There were very few free meal at the school. We had the choice to eat at the school lunch program if we wanted to pay. I didn't. I went home and ate with my kids at lunch.

I graduated from College with a Fish and Wildlife management degree, Precursor degree to being a biologist. I went on to get a science teaching Cert. I put my self through college trapping and working in a the MSU Biology research lab. So I am not totally in the dark when it comes to offering some opinion. I trapped, hunted and fished the area from Russian Mission to Kotlik for the last 28 years which gives me a good perspective as well.
Haven't logged the hours you have but I have put in a good share of time out there. And enough to voice an opinion for sure. Wrong or right. Shouldn't be bashed for it.

Personally I have no desire to see outside guides or transporters come into the area. But feel it would be real cool and add some income to locals if they took it upon themselves to offer the services while holding down the moose numbers to the point where they can sustain themselves in the years to come. It is a honeymoon period right now. More than enough to go around. Funny how those things don't stick around forever. The Lower Yukon is a unique situation as far as dispersal opportunities. I maintain my opinion that more moose are moving up river from the lower reaches at this point than down. 3 other directions don't leave much for options. With the recruitment as it stands on the Lower End how can it not but contribute to expansion outside its boundaries.
The Lower River is packed with moose. Where else to they have to go but upriver? Not that it really matters. It was a discussion.
And the statement that there has always been moose in the area is not what the elders say.
I listened in Russian Mission to the late Natalia Changsak talk about how when she was young there were no moose at all in the area. Only reindeer. She vividly remember the first moose sighting as a young person. New to the country they were.

Last edited by Family Trapper; 10/28/12 02:49 AM.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: Family Trapper] #3391769
10/28/12 02:46 AM
10/28/12 02:46 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
Quote:
No insults intended just stating the facts....but since you brought it up...you were/are living in teacher housing provided a maintance crew who even pumpes your stove oil and hauls your trash with two meals a daya also provided.

These are facts? Lets at least do the research before you start quoting them.

As in most rental situations is is not typically for renters to maintain the home. Not a lot of choice in that matter.
Housing Provided? At a cost! Payed for at the tune of $10,000 a year. But it did give me extra time to spend out side after school and weekends. No choice to live elsewhere. It was part of our contract we had to live in District Housing. Well at least pay for it.
But I was thankful we did have decent housing. Not sure what renting and having a full time job has to do with ones ability to make an educated and experiential opinion on wildlife in the area.

Meals provided? There were very few free meal at the school. We had the choice to eat at the school lunch program if we wanted to pay. I didn't. I went home and ate with my kids at lunch.

I graduated from College with a Fish and Wildlife management degree, Precursor degree to being a biologist. I went on to get a science teaching Cert. I put my self through college trapping and working in a the MSU Biology research lab. So I am not totally in the dark when it comes to offering some opinion. I trapped, hunted and fished the area from Russian Mission to Kotlik for the last 28 years which gives me a good perspective as well.
Haven't logged the hours you have but I have put in a good share of time out there. And enough to voice an opinion for sure. Wrong or right. Shouldn't be bashed for it.

Personally I have no desire to see outside guides or transporters come into the area. But feel it would be real cool and add some income to locals if they took it upon themselves to offer the services while holding down the moose numbers to the point where they can sustain themselves in the years to come. It is a honeymoon period right now. More than enough to go around. Funny how those things don't stick around forever. The Lower Yukon is a unique situation as far as dispersal opportunities. I maintain my opinion that more moose are moving up river from the lower reaches at this point than down. 3 other directions don't leave much for options. With the recruitment as it stands on the Lower End how can it not but contribute to expansion outside its boundaries.
The Lower River is packed with moose. Where else to they have to go but upriver? Not that it really matters. It was a discussion.
And the statement that there has always been moose in the area is not what the elders say.
I listened in Russian Mission to the late Natalia Changsak talk about how when she was young there were no moose at all in the area. Only reindeer. She vividly remember the first moose sighting as a young person. New to the country they were.

I did have my facts right..you did/do live in teacher housing with a maintanace crew..I never said you didnt pay for your housing.....read my quote.

I did not bash you your just taking it hard.

If you think it would be"Cool" to have locals guiding suggest it to the local Homer AC they might want it but I am pretty sure they dont here at this time anyway since I live here year round I know.

And if you think the moose are coming out of the Bering Sea and migrating up river I would say I am done here thats crazy talk..yes they do have alot of moose because they ran out of land and nowhere farther west to go.

Have a good night SnL is on smile

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391780
10/28/12 04:46 AM
10/28/12 04:46 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Your right the facts were true. Just a few of the details missing from the fact presentation that concerned me. Mostly the part of what the heck it had to do with the discussion.
Not a bash? Okay. But I did take it that way.
All I am looking for is an adult conversation on what I have observed in the area over the last 28 years.

No where did I say moose are coming out of the Bearing Sea. Please show me my mistake if I have given that impression I was wrong. Please quote that and I will fix it.
What I am saying is some of the highest populations density is on the Bearing Sea Coast. As per what I have observed when I flew from Kotlik to Emmo. That is what I visually observed. That is the facts I had to go by for the lower River.
Now - however they got there whether through local recruitment or walked 90 miles downriver from the area above Mt Village like you say.
And why are so many moose moving down? The numbers were higher in the lower river before they were in the Mountain Village area west. Why did they leave? I am of the opinion that they didn't. They were born there. In the Lower reaches of the Yukon. And have populated to the extent that moose are moving back up river in record numbers.

The fact is the dispersal that is happening has to go back up river and somewhat south for the most part as there are few options other than than that. It is tundra to the south, Water to the West and Tundra to the Northeast. Tundra circled Yellow in the photo.
The Moose that are becoming thick in the clearwater drainage I believe come from down river. Not the Andrefsky or areas North of the Yukon Above Mt Village. But that is a guess.

The moose population that is now high around Koozi I would also guess is dispersal from the Lower Yukon area like the 30 mile area. If it was from upriver as you say why did we not see local area populations around Mt Village rise at the same rate we did the lower stretches of the river. Did they run through on a dead run not populate like you would think?
I was hunting hard and hiking the areas from Mt To 30 miles just to find a track and successfully harvesting moose when you and others were still going up river to get your moose. I was there and hunting yearly through those build up years. I feel I watched closely the progression of things. Moose populations were higher per square mile in 30 mile (15 miles down river from Mt Village) than in the pastsy slough and Refrigerator slough just miles below Mt Village in the Late 90's Did the moose run through there also to get to the lower river and stop?
If they were coming from upriver why was some of the last areas to build a substantial populations, the area from Mountain to PItkas. Heck there are moose regularly seen in that area now on the North side of the river. They were rarely seen before. If they traveled from up river why did we not see populations there in the late 90's. The moose population was high on the lower reaches of the river before it was high in the Mt to Pitkas areas.. Granted it doesn't offer a lot of cover and prone to harvest. But people didn't hunt it much. There were few moose there to hunt like there are now. Now there are moose inhabiting areas along that area like never before. If they were so thick that they had to disperse to the lower river why did we not see the population that we do now. I thought I was seeing the progression correctly. I have no problem changing my stance given some facts. So far I haven't gotten any. But I am now curious to call the biologist to see what his opinion is.

I believe the highest density of population is the red 1. Based on what I saw from a plane two years ago. On a line from Emmo back up river to Mt I saw progressively less moose. Granted there isn't any where else to go but why would we not see just as high a population in between 1 and 2 if the population built from an upriver migration. And why is it that we didn't see strong populations of moose in the outlining areas at 3 if moose were migrating down river. Don't they populate an area and expand as needed due to the density of the population?
I will ask, as it is an area I am the least familiar with. Where do you see the densest populations on your Kasunic trap line. The upper or lower reaches. This is one area I am not very familiar with. Did the abundant moose population around Kuzi now populate from the Yukon side or the Kasunic. I believe from the Yukon side. The lower river as well.
Starting at 30 mile south as spill over from the 30 mile area.
There just isn't habitat for them to populate a corridor from the Kasunic side to Koozi. There is a pile of moose in the whole area.
Where do you believe is the dispersal route. The logical area of river from Pitka to Mt is just too thin and has never shown that much concentration. And i have spent a fair bit of time there. Do moose really migrate through very marginal areas in big numbers. I don't know. I have not seen evidence of that. Seems you would be able to track a populations density from one place to another as it builds. From everything I have seen it is one that is moving upriver. I think it is a fun biological discussion.
Lets hear the facts based on what you have seen on the grounds Jeff.

Last edited by Family Trapper; 10/28/12 04:53 AM.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3391948
10/28/12 09:29 AM
10/28/12 09:29 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
I am glad to see that a guy can take a break from things here and get himself fixed up prior to trapping season, and the biggest rukus I have seen in a long time take place without the thread having to be removed. My hat is off to all of you keep it up gentlemen it has been an interesting read. smile

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3392029
10/28/12 10:39 AM
10/28/12 10:39 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Recap: People were complaining about high gas prices. Then someone mentioned a little competition would help and maybe the price was high because it was similar to the AC situation. Then someone is accused of being a RICH guide and not everybody could be one. Then someone asked, "Why?" It appears the answer is because we don't want to. So..... everybody could be a rich guide like me. smile

Last edited by Dirt; 10/28/12 10:59 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #6 [Re: white17] #3392110
10/28/12 12:13 PM
10/28/12 12:13 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
I've never met a "rich" guide. Wanna adopt me?

Life Member NTA & FTA

Page 20 of 116 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 115 116
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman