ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Cage Trapping Red Fox #6112556
01/04/18 10:06 AM
01/04/18 10:06 AM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline OP
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline OP
trapper

California
Looking for advice from folks who have experience catching Reds in cage traps.

I have had customers tell me it's easy and have seen people on the internet tell me it's impossible.

I would appreciate advice on methods baits and lures used to get them to enter from folks who have had success.

Thanks in advance, ML

PS - feel free to email if you would rather not be public: cagingbobcats@gmail.com

Re: Cage Trapping Red Fox [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6112740
01/04/18 12:07 PM
01/04/18 12:07 PM
Maine, USA
S
stan58 Offline
trapper
stan58  Offline
trapper
S

Maine, USA
I have caught 10 or more, best bait is 2 fresh squirrels, first cover the bottom of the trap with grass or hay so that no wire is exposed on the bottom right up and over the trigger pan, I cut one squirrel in half on the diagonal, I put one half about 3 ft in front of the trap and half- halfway in the trap. the second I put beyond the trigger and wire around the neck and with 3 inches of slack tie it to the trap. the trap should be in the shade all day under a tree and totally in the open when they can see all around really well they let their guard down. other baits cantalope or strwberies or fried chicken bones make a trail up to and into the trap. wish you well. the kits are easy and will go into a coon sized trap, adults need a large canine sized trap.

Some will wait for what they want, But this is much more slicker, WORK REAL HARD for what you want, and you will get it much more QUICKER ...
Re: Cage Trapping Red Fox [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6114433
01/05/18 04:14 PM
01/05/18 04:14 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline OP
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline OP
trapper

California
Thanks Stan - I appreciate the help.

ML

Re: Cage Trapping Red Fox [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6116008
01/06/18 09:04 PM
01/06/18 09:04 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I've only had to remove reds with cages a few times in 27 years of wildlife control. Maybe a dozen total. But in each case I found they would always be caught in cages set in the open with NO cover whatsoever.

Think about fur trapping..... and fox behavior. If you set a field road with timber on one side, and set 2 dirt hole sets... one against the woods and the other on the opposite side of the road along the field edge, 99% of the time the fox will be in the set in the open. Why do people think covering a cage will increase the chance for a fox catch? It's not in their behavior.

Bait has varied from hot dogs to peaches (yep) as these are typically urban foxes. They respond to baits and lures, but maybe not the same ones as a fox in the open prairie or farmland. I have usually caught them in the old Wickenkamp traps (1x2 mesh) with the trip pan made of rods. Also caught them in Williams traps a few times, 12 x 12 x 30.

I think the bobcat traps you make would work great for foxes. I ordered 3 of them from you last year, and the next job I get to remove foxes with cages (rare) I will be using them. And I will NOT be covering them with brush!

Ron Scheller

Re: Cage Trapping Red Fox [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6117049
01/07/18 04:43 PM
01/07/18 04:43 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
I too have been asking about this. It seems the successful ones are targeting urban fox or fox doing damage(coming to you). I have learned very little about successes in the field on fox that are not habituated to ppl. Hope more discussion is coming.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread