Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Oils use for Beaver lure #6213506
04/10/18 09:36 AM
04/10/18 09:36 AM
North Dakota USA
Redeyesheds Offline OP
trapper
Redeyesheds  Offline OP
trapper

North Dakota USA
Hello guys, I'm new, I made my own lure from Crawfish Oil, Pop, Birch and Sweet Flag oils, for this mix I split the crawfish into two 16 oz containers 8 each and split the other three 12 oz total into the fish oil, My question, what's a normal mix rate for pure oil? Is one type stronger than other, say Apple vs Carrot?? I see people use mineral oil, glycerin, petro or sheep oil as a base or cut I call it, I choose Crawfish thinking natural and have had ok results it's still sub zero in ND and I don't cut ice for beavers and have had them come to my bait though my 280... I wanna try differnt oils just wondering how you guys cut your oils or keep them pure...

Apx $2.18 oz

Last edited by Redeyesheds; 04/10/18 10:32 AM.

Yote snares and Beaver Traps...
Re: Oils use for Beaver lure [Re: Redeyesheds] #6213765
04/10/18 02:12 PM
04/10/18 02:12 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Hi,

I am not challenging you on this, but as beaver are not meat eaters, it would seem a waste to place crawfish or fish oil into a lure for them, and it would be repulsive.

Different oils are different types in carrot is bitter while apple is sweet. The carrot would spike awareness, but the apple would have more appeal. The tree oils again would if you have those trees or brush in your North Dakota waterways would appeal to a certain point. It is like would a sweet corn lure work surrounded by a 100 acres of sweet corn or if a raccoon only ate crawfish would they even trigger for a sweetcorn scent.

When breeding season is about here, the castor mixed with the oil sac is the primary lure as it triggers territory and breeding.
When you cut a concentrate of oil with a base oil or grease, odorless is best or it competes, but it still dilutes the scent and competing scents as in apple or poplar does not enhance often but retards the lure. For the ratios, this is from an online multi purpose type lure to provide an idea of the ratios.
It is far too loaded up for beaver and I would use the 4 oz castor, oil sac, mineral or propylene and then the 6 drops of Sweet Flag.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

Leave it to Beaver (Beaver - Muskrat - Mink - Otter - Marten - Fisher - Fox)

4 oz. Beaver Castor
4 oz. Beaver Oil Sacs
1 capful Tonquin Musk
1/2 oz. Ambrette Musk Crystals
1capful Canton Musk
5 drops Lavender Oil
4 drops Oil of Fennel
1 capful Bergamot Oil
6 drops of Sweet Flag Oil
4 oz. Propylene Glycol

Re: Oils use for Beaver lure [Re: Redeyesheds] #6213858
04/10/18 03:36 PM
04/10/18 03:36 PM
North Dakota USA
Redeyesheds Offline OP
trapper
Redeyesheds  Offline OP
trapper

North Dakota USA
I recently trapped some minnows outta my local beaver pond for an ice fishing trip, and the trap was full of rusty crawfish dead and alive, whether they eat them or not, I figured I'd try the Oil in my mix as I was looking for a cheaper base to thin out the more expensive oils, and wasn't sold on the use of any mineral oil or anti-freeze at the time, the crawfish oil I got don't freeze solid it will jell up and don't wash off your hands, I understand I used to much of each of the other oils but have read articles of trappers useing each oil pure on food sets for beaver granted not in a mix, my (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) is huge over 8' tall and couple hundred feet long been in the deer woods for years, these beavers are breaking the ice and searching out food, I understand the castor sets and will set mounds once the ice is off, as for mixing castor and food I learned not to mix urine with food at my coyote sets, is it ok for beavers??

Yote snares and Beaver Traps...
Re: Oils use for Beaver lure [Re: Redeyesheds] #6219295
04/16/18 05:59 PM
04/16/18 05:59 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
del

Last edited by Aix sponsa; 09/21/18 05:51 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91