No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Turning duck calls, wood burls?? #6344766
10/10/18 01:58 PM
10/10/18 01:58 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline OP
trapper
waggler  Offline OP
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
A long time ago there was a thread on here about turning duck calls out of exotic and unusual woods.
I just got a Alaska Yellow Cedar burl this morning, I've seen really nice duck calls turned out of yellow cedar.

At couple of question; should I let the burl season/dry before I do anything with it, should I end-wax the cut side, remove bark, cut it into blanks first, etc.??

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Turning duck calls, wood burls?? [Re: waggler] #6344934
10/10/18 07:07 PM
10/10/18 07:07 PM
NW WI
schweg2 Offline
trapper
schweg2  Offline
trapper

NW WI
I'm curious also...I have a couple black ash burls I cut a couple years ago that I wanted to have made into bowls.

Now if I could fine somebody that has a lathe and know-how.

Re: Turning duck calls, wood burls?? [Re: waggler] #6344989
10/10/18 08:15 PM
10/10/18 08:15 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
Peel as much bark off as possible , and let dry , you can end seal with wood glue it works like a charm, just about as good as anything. most of them will get alot of pores and small cracks, best way to do it is impregnate with resin, its safer to turn and holds the burl together . alot of how to cure and wood stabilize on youtube . if you get lucky enough that one dont crack up and come apart you can turn without stabilizing, but it is the preferred way. do a little googling and theirs some interesting ways out there . make sure to show us results.

Re: Turning duck calls, wood burls?? [Re: waggler] #6345426
10/11/18 12:46 PM
10/11/18 12:46 PM
Holmes Co. Ohio
K
Killbuck Offline
trapper
Killbuck  Offline
trapper
K

Holmes Co. Ohio
Soak it in PEG for a month or 2. Wont crack after that!

Re: Turning duck calls, wood burls?? [Re: waggler] #6345460
10/11/18 01:40 PM
10/11/18 01:40 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I’ve never done duck calls or burls, but just my experience from milling and woodworking: if you know what you’re going to make out of it, cut it into the smallest pieces possible (i.e. blanks in your case). Smaller pieces dry with less movement since the moisture doesn’t have to move as far, which equals less cracking. Smaller pieces also dry faster and more evenly, whether they’re coated or not. The point of grain-sealing is to prevent the end grain from drying too much faster than the sides, since the goal is even drying. Bark is even worse since it holds a lot of moisture. So I would cut it down to blanks, dip the ends in something that’s semi-permeable like paint, watered-down glue or shellac, and set them up to dry with equal air exposure on all sides. Blanks standing on end would probably work good, since you don’t want the end to dry too fast anyway.

The practice of leaving the bark on and end-sealing the grain is used when large pieces are being stored, such as for wholesale when the end product is unknown. If you’re the end-user, cut it down as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread