General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! #1036371
12/08/08 10:20 PM
12/08/08 10:20 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: KyCoyoteTrapper
Ive always heard that you can take a trapper from the West and bring him east and he wont catch anything. Take a trapper from the east and take him west he will catch everything.

I saw this on a post and didnt wanna blow it...
BUT i think someones smokin to much dope....

What makes the east so much harder than west?

Colton

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Colton D] #1036393
12/08/08 10:27 PM
12/08/08 10:27 PM
ID-40
J
johnsd16 Offline
trapper
johnsd16  Offline
trapper
J

ID-40
I guess people in ID don't grow up.

Last edited by johnsd16; 12/09/08 10:38 AM.
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: johnsd16] #1036449
12/08/08 10:40 PM
12/08/08 10:40 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: johnsd16
Let me guess, you have a long and well thought out reason why the guys in the west are infinitely superior in every way to trappers from the east. Especially guys from Idaho who's names start with C and end in -olton.

While I know very little about any of this (attack me now YICM). Just looking at the big picture, if I were to come out west I feel that I could pick locations to start cat trapping, now I don't know how to make the sets you all use but I think I could catch some dumb ones in baited cubbies in bottlenecks of canyons and such. Now you come up here and get plopped in the middle of 100,000 acres of woods that is all pretty much the same and start picking spots for sets. Too me location would seem easier to start out in the wide open, not the exact set location but the area where the animals are traveling. I don't know what its like in the far east but they have a lot more thick stuff than out west.

Now blow it up YICM.

Dude, do you have a temper meter? No one said anything about "infinitely superior". LOL I had asked a question about the logic and opinion behind the guy i quoted.

Whats the purpose of your first paragraph?

Your second ones your opinion of the quote( which was good, and the point of this post).

Now on to the post....whats everone think? Whats hard to trap about the east in your areas?

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036473
12/08/08 10:59 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: Buzzard
dogs, people, snakes, gators, .......thats a good starter.

subdivisions, roads, deer hunters , hound deer hunters, bird hunters , coon hunters, rabbit hunters .........

nature freaks, bunny huggers, and so on...........

We have everything u mentioned except the gators BUT were closer to California( Bunny huggers, and freaks) Lol

The thing over here is that you could set 1,000 traps and never catch a thing becuase you wouldnt know where you were going and not every bush or rock has an animal behind it....

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036474
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Good trappers never have to worry as trapping in the east or west is not hard as long as you can adapt to the conditions.

"Oh make no mistake, it’s not revenge I'm after—It’s a reckoning":

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036476
ID-40
J
johnsd16 Offline
trapper
johnsd16  Offline
trapper
J

ID-40
I think both would be hard for either guy. Both have different weather, habitat, terrain etc. I just think location on the gross scale would easier out west.

YICM, your reputation earned you the first paragraph. I'm bored too.

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036479
12/08/08 11:00 PM
12/08/08 11:00 PM

N
Nick C
Unregistered
Nick C
Unregistered
N

Well, in the West, talk to a couple ranches and you have well over 100,000 acres to trap. Not to mention the Tens of thousands of acres of public ground to trap.

Come to the Midwest and talk to a couple farmers and you might have a few thousand acres to trap. Public ground is few and far between and often so over hunted and crowded it's hardly worth your time, with all the hassles that Buzzard mentioned.

Thats one the biggest things I can think of.

BTW, I don't agree with the statement quoted above, but there is a few things in the West that are for advantageous to a trapper.

Did I forget to mention arid and dry in the West compared to the humid and rainy East?

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036537
12/08/08 11:20 PM
Flatland TN
J
j lord Offline
trapper
j lord  Offline
trapper
J

Flatland TN
the vastness and the weather would be the biggest overcoming factor out west, assuming you have your land planned out for you.

in the east (for the western), would be the ground type, rainy muddy conditions. also the amount of people to deal with.

now both could go back and forth if they do the homework before hand and go prepared for whatever comes.

James Lord
-------------
www.jlordvideos.com
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036541
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: Andy S
Glad I was converted to a western guy so I dont run like these eatern amatures anymore........

Keep whackin and stackin western style baby.

I like these two idaho guys more and more everyday.

You owe me a rag, my brother just spit up his drink on the monitor while reading that!!! He says "he'll show you what western whackin and stackin cats is in a couple weeks, and he caught more cats sitting at home watching Football than you did in the past year, and his buddy says to "blow out the lantern, brush your tooth, cuddle your hound and get some zzzz's!" YEHAWWWWWWWW!!!!!

John? : I didnt know trapperman had reputations....This isnt high school in any way, shape, or form...You wouldnt win there either..... Maybe if you, were you...then you wouldnt care what people thought...everyone knows where they stand.

Last edited by Colton D; 12/09/08 12:01 AM.

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: wr otis] #1036560
12/08/08 11:27 PM
12/08/08 11:27 PM
Star City Arkansas
Owen Offline
trapper
Owen  Offline
trapper

Star City Arkansas
Slim came from the WEST and after a few years training I hear he is now a pretty good eastern trapper

Old enough to know better, but dumb enough to still try.
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036569
12/08/08 11:31 PM
12/08/08 11:31 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: Colton D
Glad I was converted to a western guy so I dont run like these eatern amatures anymore........

Keep whackin and stackin western style baby.

I like these two idaho guys more and more everyday.

You owe me a rag, my brother just spit up his drink on the monitor while reading that!!! He says "he'll show you what western whackin and stackin cats is in a couple weeks, and he caught more cats sitting at home watching Football than you did in the past year, and his buddy says to "blow out the lantern, brush your tooth, cuddle your hound and get some zzzz's!" YEHAWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Tell your brother I dont have cats where I live.......

I've caught more coyotes in the last month and a half than you two have played with yourselves looking at the neighbor girl.

See Ya

Key word: COYOTES

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: ] #1036573
12/08/08 11:32 PM
ny
N
nyfox Offline
trapper
nyfox  Offline
trapper
N

ny
Originally Posted By: Nick C

Come to the Midwest and talk to a couple farmers and you might have a few thousand acres to trap. Public ground is few and far between and often so over hunted and crowded it's hardly worth your time, with all the hassles that Buzzard mentioned.

Come to the east and get a few permissions you MAY get a hundred acres to trap IF your lucky ,plus rain sleet ,freeze ,thaw ,ect ,ect

Last edited by nyfox; 12/08/08 11:32 PM.
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Owen] #1036575
NJ
bigolebuck Offline
trapper
bigolebuck  Offline
trapper

NJ
lol..... This topic should go in the archives

Part time Taxidermist
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Owen] #1036577
12/08/08 11:33 PM
12/08/08 11:33 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
This is getting quite interesting. Trapping coyotes no matter where your at is very easy, now cats the eastern trapper has an advantage is they can drive right too the cats unlike the west.

"Oh make no mistake, it’s not revenge I'm after—It’s a reckoning":

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Owen] #1036586
12/08/08 11:35 PM
12/08/08 11:35 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: owen
Slim came from the WEST and after a few years training I hear he is now a pretty good eastern trapper

I dont think it would be that hard to learn west or east, just take practice.

hey nick, im sure that the east has a ton of private ground, but i dont know a place around here that ive been around that has 100,000 acres of private land to be trapped. The thing that gets most us in the west ( at least in idaho ) is that they have private ground for just a mile and no chance of getting around it!

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1036605
12/08/08 11:44 PM
12/08/08 11:44 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: huntinglonewolf
This is getting quite interesting. Trapping coyotes no matter where your at is very easy, now cats the eastern trapper has an advantage is they can drive right too the cats unlike the west.

Completely agreed! 1,000,001 coyotes roam the west. Half the traps out here you have to walk a mile to get to(in and out of canyons/steep hills/cliffs/rocks), in the east its all flat and roads run every fenceline right to your set!

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Colton D] #1036611
12/08/08 11:47 PM
12/08/08 11:47 PM
Maine
F
Fisher-usmc Offline
trapper
Fisher-usmc  Offline
trapper
F

Maine
i dont really think it matters with east and west but perhaps north and south. take a person trapping in the south up north under ice beaver or 4 feet of snow for fox or fisher, martin, frost level 4 feet, he's probably not going to get a thing besides frostbite. I think a northern trapper could adapt better in the south. Not saying anyones better. But take a guy from Taxas and a guy from alaska have them switch states and i think my point would be proven. not sure but i think I remember asa talking about his dad wearing gloves for canines in the east and wackin em and his friend not and not getting anything, when he moved west he nailed them. bet i get some comments on this post, dont take it bad please.

Birds dont fly without my permission
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock.
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Fisher-usmc] #1036616
12/08/08 11:50 PM
12/08/08 11:50 PM
IDEHO
C
Colton D Offline OP
trapper
Colton D  Offline OP
trapper
C

IDEHO
Originally Posted By: Fisher-usmc
i dont really think it matters with east and west but perhaps north and south. take a person trapping in the south up north under ice beaver or 4 feet of snow for fox or fisher, martin, frost level 4 feet, he's probably not going to get a thing besides frostbite. I think a northern trapper could adapt better in the south. Not saying anyones better. But take a guy from Taxas and a guy from alaska have them switch states and i think my point would be proven. not sure but i think I remember asa talking about his dad wearing gloves for canines in the east and wackin em and his friend not and not getting anything, when he moved west he nailed them. bet i get some comments on this post, dont take it bad please.

I believe it! Snow will put a stop to anyones line! Had about 3 feet of snow here last year, shut everyone down!!

Fat wifes=NO bueno
Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: j lord] #1036629
12/08/08 11:54 PM
12/08/08 11:54 PM
roseburg oregon
S
sweatybetty Offline
trapper
sweatybetty  Offline
trapper
S

roseburg oregon
Originally Posted By: j lord
in the east (for the western), would be the ground type, rainy muddy conditions.

have you ever been to oregon? most natives here have webbed feet!

Re: Eastern trapper>Western trapper? Check it out! [Re: Colton D] #1036702
12/09/08 12:36 AM
12/09/08 12:36 AM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
I hate to get involved with such a childish topic but this one got me:

Originally Posted By: Colton D
...in the east its all flat and roads run every fenceline right to your set!

I've worked in quite a few states (east and west) but have worked with some guys who have just about covered the entire lower 48 doing forestry work. The one told me that there was no place as consistently steep as West Virginia. I'd recommend you check it out before putting the quill to paper again.

Clark

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91