ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Starting- What are your biggest challenges faced #110017
02/26/07 10:15 AM
02/26/07 10:15 AM
Dunbar, WV
Mark E. Dotson Offline OP
trapper
Mark E. Dotson  Offline OP
trapper

Dunbar, WV
What are your biggest challenges faced when considering starting a business in the ADC field today? The ADC field is much different than it was 10-15 years ago. Today you have stiff competition, low ball pricing, unqualifed people, government competition etc. to name just a few.

You can PM me if you do not wish to comment publically.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com
Contact me if you would like to start your own
business or grow your existing one!

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #110058
02/26/07 11:10 AM
02/26/07 11:10 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Mark, I don't know if this actually qualifies as a challenging aspect of it,but here goes. In the last year or so I am seeing much more of the handyman type homeowners trying first to resolve the problem on their own. You know what I mean, the miracle repellents,moth balls,ammonia,fox and coyote urine. Then we have the folks that will continue to exclude the squirrels without removing them,and wonder why they keep haveing new and larger holes chewed in the roof and soffits. Last night we removed a squirrel a landlord trapped inside, and ended up in the tenants living room,it ate through the ceiling trying to get out after they covered the hole.
I am also seeing many more people calling and trying to get information on how they can solve their problems without hiring a professional. I politely explain to them that due to the liability issues, I cannot recommend them doing it themselves,in the event they get injured and choose any legal recourse against me. If they persist, I request a valid credit card number, and tell them I will gladly charge them a service call fee, for the consultation over the phone. The majority of the time I can actually sell the job and gain a customer. I learned early from Kirk L. not to disclose more information than needed, and not educate the customer into thinking they can do it themselves. It took us all many years and much time ,effort and money,to learn what we know, I refuse to share it with a homeowner that has no intention of hiring me.
This is just some of the things I run into, I look forward to hearing from other people on this subject. Albert

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #110095
02/26/07 11:39 AM
02/26/07 11:39 AM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
In the past few months, before my retirement, I received dozens of request on starting your own ADC business. "What should I do first?"," Where should I start?” just a few of the questions that I have often been asked. Mr. Dotson brings up a good point, when he asks this question. When I first got into this "game", fur trapping had not hit its peak in the mid 70's and "nuisance trappers" in the east anyway, almost didn't exist for the most part. Many, if any jobs, came from the Fish and Game Dept. or the local police. I only knew of one other "trapper" and he lived in the next county. Today when you look in the phone book, unless where you live is rural, you are bombarded with ADC ads, most of them all new. Some of them will only last a year or two, but many more will replace those. If you were one of the 1st in your area then you are in utter amazement each and every year. If lets say, you're new to the game; then you wonder how to succeed or even fit in! I have always maintained, as many of you know, that to get in this field and be successful, you didn’t need to "buy" a franchise. However, if you are someone who lets say doesn't have any marketing skills or is not very business oriented, and then perhaps someone like Mr.Dotson’s company is invaluable! I can see its advantages. It is a dog eat dog world out there today unlike 30 years ago. But the information is out there too. Back then it wasn't. Stick together because there is strength in numbers! Being envious will only cause riff. Knowing your competition on a personal level will often times have its rewards! By the way, Mr. Burns, excellent post.

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: victoria vixen] #110233
02/26/07 01:13 PM
02/26/07 01:13 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
Both excellent posts Albert and Victoria!

To add to what Albert posts...I think it is the internet that leads to more consumers trying to resolve the problem with the quick fix methods that are all over the net.

The people calling and wanting free advice may be people who would not hire you anyway, don't understand that we are a service for hire (everyone knows what a pest control company is and assumes they charge for their services), does not have the money to afford the service or have a part of the solution they found somewhere on the net or through a friend and want to bounce that off of you to take advantage of your knowledge. They could have also got your number from a government agency and therefore think you are a free service. I am wondering Albert if this has just recently started happening or are you seeing a pattern over the years?

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #110268
02/26/07 01:37 PM
02/26/07 01:37 PM
Western Wyoming
M
mmwb Offline
trapper
mmwb  Offline
trapper
M

Western Wyoming

"stiff competition, low ball pricing, unqualifed people"

My personal experience is limited, and I can't really specifically comment on ADC work. There are enough trappers around here that I realize that the first two items are problem for the individual trying to build an ADC business. I found as I started a parttime snow management business a couple of years ago that the same problems existed there.

Assuming that there is a population base and the demographics to support the business, professionalism and quality service will make the difference in any business. The lowballers particularly will make start up a difficult proposition, but over time as your reputation builds... Most of us find the hardest thing to do is to turn away business when we are starving, er..starting up! Yet we have to do that in order to validate our business and establish a standard.

When I bid on a lot for a winter's service, I set the standard for snow depth to begin plowing, and I determine the frequency and amount of icemelter I put down. As such, my lots are the best in town and my reputation is established. When I approach a potential new client, I put forth a bid. They invariably comment on the cost. I then show them a photo of thier lot on a given day the previous winter and then a photo of one or two of my current lots from the same day, and the same time of that day. They can see for them selves that you get what you pay for. If I didn't maintain a standard in quality of service just to appease a cheap customer, then I couldn't sell based on quality.

This biggest thing I see that I have to offer as I am starting into ADC work, is that in addition to taking care of a current problem, I can offer them solutions for prevention of future problems. Most of the fur trappers will not be able to compete with that. Business approach vs. hobby approach...

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: mmwb] #110342
02/26/07 02:39 PM
02/26/07 02:39 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
Excellent points MMWB.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #110912
02/26/07 07:44 PM
02/26/07 07:44 PM
Western New York
C
Critterman Offline
trapper
Critterman  Offline
trapper
C

Western New York
I havent started a new office in somtime, lowballers, and stiff competition seem to be part of the game... I would think getting your name out there so people will call you, not to mention... plain ol marketing is time consumeing and expensive.... somthing I have neglected and have to restart soon.

For newbe's practice on the phone... the phone's are big bucks for you

it is as it is... nothing more... nothing less
Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Critterman] #111157
02/26/07 09:18 PM
02/26/07 09:18 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Hello Mark, I think you are correct about the internet. I have been in the ADC business since 1991 , and it is in the last year or two that I have been running into more people trying to solve their problems before hiring a professional. Often, by the time they call me, they are so frustrated that money is no longer an issue, as long as the problem gets resolved. They seem to get discouraged quickly. I am certain many of them get information from Animal Welfare sites, enlightening them on how easy it is to just exclude the problem animal, with no removal or habitat modifications being needed. We all know that every skunk leaves it's den nightly at 8:00 PM. Therefore, it is safe to block the entrance at 8:05 PM., and not only do you save money,but you have the satisfaction of solving your problem by yourself,without inflicting any discomfort on the poor, helpless, Skunk. Or so they keep telling me,when they call the next morning to investigate that odor that now permeates the neighborhood,coming from under their home.
One thing I would like to find out if other people have noticed. With access to all the information available online, I am finding many customers that are doing their homework, and know exactly what it takes to properly solve the problem permanently. They mention doing exclusion barriers for skunks even before I can recommend it. They know they can't do it on their own,but want to educate themselves before hiring someone. These people are much less concerned about price,and are shopping for quality,and as long as I stand up to my end of the agreement,these jobs are a pleasure to work. They understand we are providing a specialized service, and they are confident when we are done the problem will not re-occur in the future. I also see it where customers are inquiring more about capping chimneys on squirrel jobs, before I am even hired. They know it will help prevent problems in the future,and want to only go through this one time and get it done right. These are just a few of the things I have noticed. I look forward to hearing from others on this subject, to see if they are noticing similar patterns. Albert

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Albert Burns] #111311
02/26/07 10:19 PM
02/26/07 10:19 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
I made the mistake when I started of answering their questions! How would you do this? I figured they deserved to know if I was going to do it on their property...LOL. Well that obviously was bad for business. took me two or three times to get that...LOL.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Dtwarrow] #111456
02/26/07 11:20 PM
02/26/07 11:20 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Assuming that there is a population base and the demographics to support the business, professionalism and quality service will make the difference in any business.

I am counting on this to ring true and am builing my entire future based on that very thing...

As a new ADC business owner trying to compete with larger established companies, what I can offer them is better service and more expirience because I have no turn over. I know that sounds funny... but the 800 lb gorrilla in my market has about a 60% tech turn over rate anually. Which means at any one time your chance as a customer of getting someone with more then 8 months experience is poor.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Dtwarrow] #111464
02/26/07 11:23 PM
02/26/07 11:23 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Mark... It's a bit strange that the folks (myself included) who are responding to this post are not those you are asking. The question is aimed at those just starting out or thinking about starting out. I don't know if competition is a major problem if you offer good service. The next two "negatives" too often actually kill the new guys, and they do it themselves. Somehow people are under a false impression that low-balling is THE WAY to start a new business. WRONG. Now, take that "unqualified" adjective and you may possibly be defining a new WCO. Add it up = New guy (little experience) pricing too low. In no time you have a bad reputation and are making FREE return trips to cover your mistakes or oversights. That's why we see so many new WCO's pop up and disappear in a year or two. When you screw up trapping beavers or muskrats for fur, those animals don't talk about you, and you get the second and third chance. It doesn't work that way with people.

Ron Scheller

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Ron Scheller] #111517
02/26/07 11:52 PM
02/26/07 11:52 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Okay, I better expand on my last post. I'm not trying to say a new (or inexperienced) WCO should charge premium prices. Take the approach of Barkstone... Supply better service and be more thorough than the "other guys". Don't try to make "fast money". Do an extra walk-around after setting up any job. Make sure to find the problem areas on the FIRST TRIP. Getting in a hurry will get you in trouble every time. Take an extra minute to fasten the traps SECURELY on the roof. Test fire your cage traps after positioning them, as a small root or vine may hold the door from closing. It's so important to pay attention to the fine details. That is what seperates an ACO from a WCO.

Ron Scheller

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Ron Scheller] #111535
02/27/07 12:03 AM
02/27/07 12:03 AM
southern ontario canada
C
coonwild Offline
trapper
coonwild  Offline
trapper
C

southern ontario canada
this post is very informative thanks guys i guess my biggest hang up is getting my name out there to compete with the larger established people low balling is somthing i will not do because i know what it takes to make a living and keep the bills paid i've seen low ballers in other trades and they dont last long my biggest ? is yelow page advertizing the most effective route to start out getting your name out there i tried an smaller add in abook which reached 300000-400000 people and the ad hardly paid for itself it wasen't the main phone book in the area and this is where i think my problem came from they quit publishing a book in eastern canada after 2 years and havent had an ad scince and after that i'm a little gunshy on spending the large amt of money again

Duncan Wildlife control your solution to wildlife problems

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: coonwild] #113045
02/27/07 09:19 PM
02/27/07 09:19 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
So it sounds like so far we have:

Advertising
Marketing
Low Ball Competition
Stiff Competition
The Internet
And the Free Advice Hotline Callers

Anything else?

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #113646
02/28/07 02:12 AM
02/28/07 02:12 AM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
paperwork!

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Dtwarrow] #113684
02/28/07 07:29 AM
02/28/07 07:29 AM
Massachusetts
Thomas Reilly Offline
trapper
Thomas Reilly  Offline
trapper

Massachusetts
tax evading, no insurance, cash businesses being refered by state agencys and local municipalities are the burden of this entire industry.

the fact that there is no acountability allows an endless stream of new "compnays" part timers and here today gone tomorrow's.

no level playing field in an industry is an endless disaster

but hey, what do I know

Men who sling mud quickly lose ground
Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: ] #126904
03/08/07 10:11 AM
03/08/07 10:11 AM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
Burn-out is a challenge when you are first starting out Buzzard? Or did you mean something else?

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: ] #132816
03/12/07 07:44 PM
03/12/07 07:44 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
I hear ya now Buzzard...without a good plan and systems in place to deal with those things, it can be overwhelming to new people starting out. I am doing a poll on another site and it is interesting to watch and know that one of the biggest threats to this industry is the government competing against us! It is time to get the government out of our way as we can do almost anything they can do and the taxpayers wouldnt have to pay for FREE or near free wildlife control. Hey...when was the last time the "government pest control company" came over to your house and sprayed for bugs?...for free of course :-0

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #133403
03/13/07 12:12 AM
03/13/07 12:12 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
i hear ya buzz on the time off and vacations, am plannin on a trip to canada in early september this year, went 2 years ago for 11 days, also i go fishin almost once a week at 1 of our 4 local reservoirs during the spring, summer, and fall, and renew my mind, having a plan to stay away from burn out is a great idea. i definitely agree.

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: TRapper] #141604
03/18/07 09:40 PM
03/18/07 09:40 PM
Grafton, MA.
R
Rod Malmquist Offline
trapper
Rod Malmquist  Offline
trapper
R

Grafton, MA.
The biggest challenge for me was the business learning curve. Figuring out which advertising worked and what was a waste of time and money. Trying to balance work and home life and as the others mentioned just remebering to have a life. Doing market research to set pricing and seeing that all of the competition charges differently (ie. flat fee, per service call, per animal etc.) was a challenge. I am sure I am not the only one that started doing this knowing more about the removal side than the business end of things. It took a while too to learn proper exclusion techniqes. In fact there always seems to be more I need to learn about this business. Thats why I am here! This is a great forum.

I also agree that there has been more DIYers lately. The last three squirrel jobs I set up had all been attempted (unsuccesfully of course)by the homeowner first. One tried exclusion without removal and the other two both scattered several boxes of moth balls in the attic. The first thing I smelled when walking in the houses was moth balls. I dont want to be held responsible for what happens if I see one more moth ball! The internet is loaded with crooked-eye solututions some stupid, some downright dangerous. But I think there are other sources of dis-information as well. Recently my market research department (read wife) was calling competitors for pricing to see why we were losing such a high percentage of skunk inquiries. A pest control company (one that didnt do wildlife) suggested moth balls. "why pay those high trapping fees" said he. "Just throw some moth balls under there and they will leave".

The DIYers are bad enough but the USDA wildlife services and municipalities either doing it for free or refering to someone in house is even worse. They say you cant fight city hall but how about the federal govt.? I really think that we need to band together as an industry and fight back because the jobs we lose to the govt. are the high dollar ones. Does anyone know who we can turn to for assistance with this????

Last edited by Rod Malmquist; 03/18/07 09:42 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper