ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Rod Malmquist] #142016
03/19/07 08:23 AM
03/19/07 08:23 AM
Dunbar, WV
Mark E. Dotson Offline OP
trapper
Mark E. Dotson  Offline OP
trapper

Dunbar, WV
Rod,

We are working on this issue of governmental competition. It is important that we continue to seek licensing for what we do and to let it be known that this industry exists. There are still agencies out there who do not know about us and that will need to change.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com
Contact me if you would like to start your own
business or grow your existing one!

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #142162
03/19/07 10:38 AM
03/19/07 10:38 AM
Grafton, MA.
R
Rod Malmquist Offline
trapper
Rod Malmquist  Offline
trapper
R

Grafton, MA.
Mark,
It's good to know that the issue of Governmental competition is recieving attention. What can I (or anyone)do as an individual to assist in this cause?

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Rod Malmquist] #142344
03/19/07 12:16 PM
03/19/07 12:16 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
The first step is licensing in all states. You being in MASS already have a license in order to do nuisance wildlife work. When we are licensed, we are seen as an industry and not just a bunch of individuals.

The second step is educating the government that we as an industry exist.

I would start by joining your state ADC associations and NWCOA. Get involved at some level and help make the necessary changes to ensure that you will be in business in your state for years to come.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #142631
03/19/07 03:31 PM
03/19/07 03:31 PM
Grafton, MA.
R
Rod Malmquist Offline
trapper
Rod Malmquist  Offline
trapper
R

Grafton, MA.
Those are great suggestions for sure and I totally agree about us being percieved as an industry. I am a member of NWCOA. Our state association has been going through some changes but I am starting to get active at that level. I agree that these associations are important so dont get me wrong when I ask if there is something that I (or anyone) can do personaly beyond that to assist with these issues. How, specifically, do we educate the government? Who do we contact? What procedures do we need to follow? What can we do together on a national level to raise the publics awareness of the existance of our industry? To get back on topic somewhat I think that one of the biggest challenges to the growth of our industry is making the public aware of the fact that we (WCOs) exist and improving their perception of us.

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: ] #142678
03/19/07 04:14 PM
03/19/07 04:14 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
Buzzard,

Have you taken a copy of their regs and the bid and taken it up the USDA chain? I know exactly what you mean about them bidding and taking work...but this has to stop and the government has to let us do the work and stop subsiding free wildlife control.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: ] #142732
03/19/07 05:04 PM
03/19/07 05:04 PM
Dunbar, WV
trapper
trapper

Dunbar, WV
You all have an association in NC do you not? When you are in numbers, it is going to be harder for the government to play dumb...and some newspaper and TV press goes a long way to expose this type of government competition.

We see a number of instances where the USDA is doing wildlife work for free across the country...just one of the things that makes all our lives harder.

Mark E. Dotson
A All Animal Control
304-345-1511
AAllAnimalControl.com

Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Mark E. Dotson] #142769
03/19/07 05:32 PM
03/19/07 05:32 PM
Massachusetts
Thomas Reilly Offline
trapper
Thomas Reilly  Offline
trapper

Massachusetts
At the WCT confrence in Vegas this year we had a member of the USDA's wildlife services advisory comittee do a presentation on the comittee and his role, and yes, they (WS) are playing dumb in a lot of cases, and some cases just don't know we exist.

they claim if there is an outside bid they back out (not)

We are talking about inviting WS rep's to seminars and sending information to them on a regular basis,,

Gary B. the grad student who did the paper on WS compitition with us also did a great presentation on his findings and he claims they are open to communication as well.

But like buzz says, they are the goverment and do what they want,,,its time for some acountability.

Men who sling mud quickly lose ground
Re: What are your biggest challenges faced when.... [Re: Thomas Reilly] #177595
04/13/07 03:43 PM
04/13/07 03:43 PM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas