Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tidal Marsh Muskrats? [Re: Ron Scheller] #1101018
01/06/09 04:03 AM
01/06/09 04:03 AM
Ohio
PocketJax Offline
trapper
PocketJax  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
However, I seem to notice a LOT of posts on this forum from trappers in NON-TIDAL marshes that waste countless hours trying to use 110's where they could be piling up rats by the boat-loads if they used the basic foothold sets used for decades...

Well, in my area footholds are the way to go in open water, deeper marshes early in the season. This is when I may take only a few conibears with me. Get in a shallow marsh and you have to utilze the 110's as it's impractical to to use footholds in most situations.

Now in under ice marsh trapping when I was younger, I was misled that footholds were the trap of choice. I used them for several years with decent results. I now no longer take a single foothold with me regardless of water depth when trapping under the ice. I now use 110's exclusively under ice trapping.This has taken some time to develop and learn but my success has been much ,much better. Last week, for example, I connected on 25 muskrats out of 38 traps along with 7 snaps. This is in water anywhere from knee to waist deep. No baited triggers or any gimmick. Just setting the conibear where the animal goes, that simple...

Too many active muskrat houses need to be passed up or set less effectively with footholds compared to 110's. A lot of marshes don't have many feedbeds or the houses are too big with overhanging sides to reach in with footholds (I don't like wet arms in 10 degree temps). I have also seen many entrances to houses with too deep or wide of a tunnel for effective use of footholds. The muskrats DO NOT always enter traveling along the bottom of the entrance and this is where you are limited in setting a foothold. The result is too many empty traps. Not something I want to have when chopping 40-50 sets a day.

I guess my point is both trap styles need to be utilized Mr. Scheller, depending on the situation. In open water, I agree that footholds can be VERY effective. Almost to the point of it being rediculous as to the ratio of traps per catch. Marsh trapping under ice in any water depth, I leave the footholds in the truck and go catch 'rats.

A & J Wildlife Control

Member OSTA

http://www.facebook.com/AandJWildlifeControl
Re: Tidal Marsh Muskrats? [Re: PocketJax] #1101138
01/06/09 09:26 AM
01/06/09 09:26 AM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
I guess my point is both trap styles need to be utilized Mr. Scheller, depending on the situation. In open water, I agree that footholds can be VERY effective. Almost to the point of it being rediculous as to the ratio of traps per catch.

Marsh trapping under ice in any water depth, I leave the footholds in the truck and go catch 'rats.

thats just it we don,t have Ice here I saw a thin crust one morning it was gone the next tide change.I,m not but 50 yo one year it got really cold we had ice in the marsh for 3-4 days but usually when the water falls away from the Ice , tide change the ice breaks up and floats away the next tide change I have cousin that have ponds we get a little bit of ice on them maybe 2 weeks in feb I live beside a power plant with a hot water discharge Ice just don,t happen that often here think pepper plants growing for 2 years in a row no frost smile smile

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91