ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: Barkstone] #162297
04/02/07 02:07 PM
04/02/07 02:07 PM
West Central, WI
Trappin' Fool Offline
trapper
Trappin' Fool  Offline
trapper

West Central, WI
I was just curious on the eggs because, if cats/dogs were not interested I was going to try these for targeting skunks early in the fur season. Also use these around farm buildings where cats can be a problem, but coons and skunks need to be removed.

2006 Season Total:

315 rats
24 coon
14 mink
7 grinners
15 beaver
1 weasel
2 otter
3 red fox(1 released)
10 coyotes
1 wolf (released)
Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: Trappin' Fool] #162308
04/02/07 02:26 PM
04/02/07 02:26 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline OP
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline OP
trapper
D

OH - IO
Nothing is fool proof, but sweet lures and baits are even better than eggs for coon and skunk IMO... Bob makes some good skunk lure... I have only bought coon lure once and it worked fine but not better than my own stuff so I just use it. Have caught 1 cat only in the time I have used it, and I have used many "other" things that most people have tried for coons, including cat food, but obviously I don't use that stuff anymore.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: Dtwarrow] #162402
04/02/07 05:23 PM
04/02/07 05:23 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I use what works- for me. It may be a commercial bait; it may come from the grocery store; it may be something of my own formulation; or, it may be no bait at all. Some peanut butter, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, (maybe some nut oil) and food coloring mixed together and put into a non-labeled (or computer generated labeled) jar will work for many species of rodents. However, I probably do more "no-bait" cage trapping than I do using baits or lures.

I don't have any woodchucks in my area. I understand that many folks recommend various fresh vegetables to catch them though. I would think that it is difficult to disguise broccoli, cabbage, clover, etc. Yes, there are commercial baits available, but do they work better? Other folks use body catch traps (with no bait); still others use unbaited cage traps.

I have very few skunks here too. If using bait, a chicken or fish based bait is hard to beat. Again, I seldom use bait for skunks. Problem skunks, around here, are found under homes. If they went under, they have to come out. I close all potential entrances except the main one. The setup only allows one way out- into the trap(s).

I have heard though, that the best skunk set-up is make the best coyote, bobcat, or fox setup that you can. Use the most expensive bait or lure. Use absolutely scent free procedures. Leave no indication that a human has ever passed that area. In the morning you should have a skunk or opossum.

Ron Fry

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: LAtrapper] #169980
04/07/07 07:57 PM
04/07/07 07:57 PM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
Always worked for me...(LOL) \:\)

Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: victoria vixen] #182205
04/17/07 07:55 PM
04/17/07 07:55 PM
North Pole Alaska
B
bearbait Offline
trapper
bearbait  Offline
trapper
B

North Pole Alaska
I would think that skunk scent would work the best. Back when I fur trapped in skunk country I would often move into a new area and have skunk problems so whenever I caught a skunk I would make sure that it sprayed then remake the set. Every skunk in the country was attracted to the set and often I would catch a skunk each night for 5-10 nights until they were gone.

Last edited by bearbait; 04/17/07 07:55 PM.

Eat, Drink, and don't be a Mary.
Re: skunk lure/bait [Re: bearbait] #182729
04/18/07 08:30 AM
04/18/07 08:30 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
It took me several years to develop a consistent and universal skunk bait and LTS lure.Skunks can be caught on many different things at different times as with other wildlife. It does however depend greatly on the setting where you are going to use it. This will determine your product ingredient selection to a great degree.

If using your product in fur field trapping conditions only, a combination of food and animal gland by products and essence will work very well.If nuisance work is the main focus things must be very different in your product ingredient list.Due to subsequent odor related issues.

If you are using it for control work you are usually on that job call because of an odor problem most likely in the first place. So using a product that is containing essence is not always a good choice.

There have been many homemade cookie, cake, pie and bakery shop items mentioned on this forum and others. However there is much to be desired with respects to professionialism when using such baiting procedures for hire.

This topic has been discussed before in detail on one of these forums I recall not long ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper