Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
If location is key, then what is location????? #1157989
01/29/09 11:53 AM
01/29/09 11:53 AM
Louisiana
M. Howard Offline OP
trapper
M. Howard  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Mr. Lenon, brought up a point on another post about location. For years I struggled with location then after talking with a few well known gents on this site it all clicked and came together. One thing I would like to bring to light for any new trappers that are getting into land trapping is this. If location is the key, then what is location? Everyone one knows that tracks tell you where animals have walked and a lot of tracks tell you that they walk there all the time. But how many people get out and look to see how many different animals are using the same trail or road? I for one do. I will get out and see if I can pick out how many different pairs are using a area and how many pups are there also. For years I would do this then go 15-25 foot off the road and make a set and try to pull the animals to it so they would be out of site out of mind of any passer bys or to keep my set from being run over by traffic. Years ago an old timer told me to place my set where the animal will be and donít try to pull him in over 10í. Well it was hard for me to understand this and even harder to do. Below are a few tips that I have found work really well. Just thoughts that hope some add to.

What is location and how do you find it?

First thought that comes to mind is how to find critters. Think like the animal you are after. Have you ever walked bare foot down a gravel road? When driving down gravel roads look in the sandy ditches. Neither Fox nor coyotes like to walk on the rocks either so they will 99% of the time get in the ditch where there are sandy build ups and walk the road. The more tracks you see the more they are using, this is a given. But you can also get out and see how many animals are walking the road just by checking the size and direction of the tracks.

Next is using attractors. When you drive down the road to work every day you get accustom to smells and objects that are there every day. A road sign, a abandon car in a field, a huge tree, a field full of hay bales, a paper mill or gas plant that smells up the area. Animals see and smell their world the same way. So when a fox is walking down the road or tail and sees a sheet of white paper with a funny new smell near it, he may come check it out. A bucket turned on end that has never been there. A pile of feathers for sure. Think of the things you notice when drive a road you drive all the time. If the hay field was all of a sudden empty you would notice it, but if were empty and full of deer you would stop and take notice for sure. You have to see the world like and animal does and they really donít see the world any different than we you or I do. They think of food, shelter and sex. And it depends on the time of the year as to which order those are in.

How to make a set in the middle of a used road? Say you have fox using a road that is also traveled by well checkers or timber crews or deer hunters. The ditches are deep and the banks are steep. I am not talking about a road used 10 times a day here, but a used road. How do you make a set that will not get run over? Simple. I run before day light so I know I will get there before anyone else who could find a animal in the set. To keep them from running over my trap, I will back away say 5 foot and set up a small log, a nice size rock or something that they would not want to run over. Human nature is to avoid things that can damage or make an unsmooth ride, so they will go around the obstacle. This puts my trap right under the nose of any animals traveling the road way. Think of this way, you are walking through the meat market at your local store and across the frozen section you see a rib eye. Are you going to go around all the obstacles to go check the price? Na! But if youíre on that isle you will stop and check the price. Heck you might even pick up the meat and look it over thinking about how good it would be on the grill. Same thing for animals. Put it right under their nose, donít try to pull them.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote!

http://www.louisianatrappers.com/index.html
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: M. Howard] #1158012
01/29/09 12:05 PM
01/29/09 12:05 PM
U.P. , MI
Northwind Offline
trapper
Northwind  Offline
trapper

U.P. , MI
Good post Tony!

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: M. Howard] #1158015
01/29/09 12:06 PM
Northwest Louisiana
catsmith Offline
trapper
catsmith  Offline
trapper

Northwest Louisiana
Thanks! That is some good stuff to think on for a not so young but brand new trapper! Good Job.

BARRY RIGGIN IT WITH BARRY LEROY! GO FOR IT!

Shecatsmith is a cutie!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: M. Howard] #1158017
Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
k. miller Offline
trapper
k. miller  Offline
trapper

Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
more good stuff

thanks

take me to where the blacktop ends.. then go further with me
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: k. miller] #1158033
01/29/09 12:15 PM
01/29/09 12:15 PM
Kansas
KansasAce Offline
trapper
KansasAce  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Very good stuff. Never thought about the road analogy? Makes sense though. Its true change it up every so often to get your targets attention.

My wife is a restauraunt inspector, and I got food poisoning
http://www.abileneoutdooradventures.com/
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: KansasAce] #1158082
01/29/09 12:42 PM
01/29/09 12:42 PM
coast of mississippi
R
richard s Offline
trapper
richard s  Offline
trapper
R

coast of mississippi
Location to me is the path of least resistance. most undisturbed animal follow these paths. they can be pulled from these paths by using attractors such as scent or visual aids.why you would want to pull them off the path would depend on the situation at hand.good topic!

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: richard s] #1158130
01/29/09 01:06 PM
01/29/09 01:06 PM
kansas
P
possum5676 Offline
trapper
possum5676  Offline
trapper
P

kansas
excellent post. Safety tip for those that have badgers, do not set in the middle of the road, you will spend many hours repairing the road, on public land you may be sent a large bill for repair, on private you may be asked to not return.

none
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: possum5676] #1158334
01/29/09 02:56 PM
01/29/09 02:56 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
M.Howard,your analogy was very very good.Thank you.
At trapping classes we tell the students to get down and look.
Place your eyes on the level of the target animal,look and see what they see? gives you a different outlook.
bob

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: ] #1158400
01/29/09 03:23 PM
01/29/09 03:23 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Location isn't everything! I checked traps this morning and there must have been 5 or 6 coon walk right by one of my buckets without even taking a sniff. I believe they are wise to the buckets, so I am going out today to set a couple blind trail sets and a couple of dirthole sets. I'm going to get them dang things if I have to burn down the house they are living under! Took me two weeks to catch all the skunks and grinners, so it's time to get the coons!

"The voice of reason!"
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: trapperkeck] #1158535
01/29/09 04:42 PM
01/29/09 04:42 PM
New York
F
Fire Fly Guy Offline
trapper
Fire Fly Guy  Offline
trapper
F

New York
Just finished reading a book by Tom Krause, he mentions as just a good refrence,

High, high
high, low

low, low

low, high

Of course once you scan the landscape for these features, you then have to pick the micro locations.

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: Fire Fly Guy] #1158727
01/29/09 06:20 PM
01/29/09 06:20 PM
Guyton Georgia
B
brook1965 Offline
trapper
brook1965  Offline
trapper
B

Guyton Georgia
Excellent post there!

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: brook1965] #1158759
01/29/09 06:39 PM
01/29/09 06:39 PM
Zoe, OK
frozen okie Offline
trapper
frozen okie  Offline
trapper

Zoe, OK
Very nice post.Thats some good info. for new guys to trapping.Like me thank you

I come a learning,not a knowing
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: frozen okie] #1158784
01/29/09 06:51 PM
01/29/09 06:51 PM
Northeast kansas
Sam Schumaker Offline
trapper
Sam Schumaker  Offline
trapper

Northeast kansas
one of the best posts i have ever read

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: trapperkeck] #1158797
01/29/09 06:57 PM
01/29/09 06:57 PM
Louisiana
M. Howard Offline OP
trapper
M. Howard  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Location isn't everything! I checked traps this morning and there must have been 5 or 6 coon walk right by one of my buckets without even taking a sniff. I believe they are wise to the buckets, so I am going out today to set a couple blind trail sets and a couple of dirthole sets. I'm going to get them dang things if I have to burn down the house they are living under! Took me two weeks to catch all the skunks and grinners, so it's time to get the coons!

You are to the same point I was at earlier this year while testing. I have the location going my way, now it is down to the lure. Once you figure out location, lure is the next step and the lure thread Andy started makes more scense.

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: brook1965] #1158798
01/29/09 06:58 PM
01/29/09 06:58 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Great post M. Howard!
We have the ddvantage of a lot of sand forest roads in my area so I ride them slowly with head hanging out the window always vigilent for tracks and scat. Then when I see the sign I stop, walk around determining just how much activity there really is, how frequent it is by old tracks vs new tracks, old scat vs new scat, etc, how many animals are frequenting the area, etc so I can determine how many sets to make, while observing the best spots for set visibility and eye appeal while utilizing the prevailing wind direction.
I agree with the oldtimer who said not to attempt pulling animals more than 10' when at all possible. I would never even consider making a set where I would anticipate having to pull the aniaml more than 50' maximum. The closer to the line of travel the better!!! No amount of or strength of lure will come close to compensating for setting percisely on the line of travel. Just because an animal may smell something 100' away or even 25' distance doesn't mean they will be distracted from thier day's agenda to go check it out. Also, there is no set visibility and eye appeal at sets hidden back from the view of passerbys, one has to rely totally on the wind direction to be positive to even have a chance at a catch. Personally, I always use drag hooks and extra chain so I can make sets right in the edges of woods roads and the animals disapears from sight of passerbys. All of the big time trappers in my area have used only drags for as long as I can remember. I even occasionally make flat sets in the center of two tracks, paserbys driving right over them never knowing they were there. If I see where animals have left the road to go play in sand cuts, which is quite normal around here, then I make my sets back off the roads in the sand cuts or some along the road and back too. Asa

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: Asa Lenon] #1158809
01/29/09 07:05 PM
01/29/09 07:05 PM
Louisiana
M. Howard Offline OP
trapper
M. Howard  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Mr. Lenon, I make a number of my sets in the middle of the two tracks now also. That is where the small log or large rock come in handy. They will roll right over them and never know the set is there. Or if I set in the edge of the road I will pull the end of the log out to the front edge of the set so they will drive around the set. People are to lazy or in to big a hurry to get out and move the log. So far it is working like a charm. I have one location in the edge of a road where I have two sets less than 10' apart. I have taken 5 grays in one set and 3 in the other. I took 8 grays in 7 nights and have not had a hit since. I am working on 12 nights tonight.

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: Asa Lenon] #1158844
01/29/09 07:20 PM
01/29/09 07:20 PM
Arkansas
dirtholeman1 Offline
trapper
dirtholeman1  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
Good post man ! I hve been through the ol ,,,,, well it sure would be easier to make the set over here. Or this looks good. I try and think of it like bass fishing, you want to throw that lure right under its lips. I often wonder how many reaction strikes you receive on a trapline. With out fail this is good information and should be considered by all. Thanks for the post Tony.

.............dirt

Set within feet of tracks and whammmmmmmo

LYNX RULES !!!!!
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: M. Howard] #1158892
01/29/09 07:33 PM
01/29/09 07:33 PM
Central Pa. 60
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 60
Right now in my area, season is starting to wind down. I am using this time to scout NEW areas for next year. Fresh snow falls make travel corridors, terrain breaks and sign easier to spot. Also, if I find an area that according to the sign has good fox numbers NOW, I can be fairly certain that there should still be good numbers there next fall.

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: bic] #1159067
01/29/09 08:31 PM
01/29/09 08:31 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Beautiful cat dirtholeman! Never seen one that nice and spotted up here in my country. Asa

Re: If location is key, then what is location????? [Re: ] #1159171
01/29/09 09:34 PM
01/29/09 09:34 PM
Downsville,LA
Heavymetal Offline
trapper
Heavymetal  Offline
trapper

Downsville,LA
great post. I find it hard in our area to blind set on trails. I have had several people tell me I'm missing the trap shy animals and such, yes they are right. How do you determine what is coyote trails and what is deer trails in the leaves. Do they both use the same trails sure they do. The times I have used blind sets on trails, It may take a few days but I would have action but have always come up with a fired trap and no critter. I can only figure that a deer tripped it off. I have caught on fence rows where you would find coyote hair on fence where it's going under a fence or on a loggin road where the coyotes go around water holes in ruts. I'm talking straight out in the woods and old roads covered heavy with dried leaves in Febuary with no snow on the ground.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  tmrschessie, Wolfdog91, ~ADC~