Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Water trapping raccoon... A question of weight... [Re: Eric Cottrell] #1301158
04/11/09 11:04 AM
04/11/09 11:04 AM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted By: Eric Cottrell
If the bottom allows it, why don't you just stake solid. Are you in rocky terrain? If not, rebar stakes are very quick to use. Mine are 3 foot 3/8 rebar with a 4 inch T welded on the top. I use cable slid wires. I use a 16 inch 1/2 inch rebar stake with a large washer welded on top. This is a super fast setup, that allows you to punch in a set in a hurry and head on to the next step.

I used the berkshire stakes and the pogos for a couple seasons and have now gotten totally away from them. The biggest problem I had with them, was our soil is very soft and would end up getting to much slack in my drowner slide wire after a catch. Plus, not all of them could be pulled up by hand.

The rebar stakes just really fit my way of trapping better, but would not be an option in rocky conditions. Plus, I don't have to carry weights, or find rocks at the trap site to use.
I'm with Eric here, sometimes we make things alot more difficult than necessary. A couple of rebar stakes is much easier and much faster for drowning setups. I suppose if I had all day to fool around with bags and sand and hauling 10 tons of weights around it might be fun, but rebar is hard to beat for time and weight. I have used pogos also, but some of the creek bottoms I trap are hard shale and I can't always get a POGO in, so I just use rebar.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Water trapping raccoon... A question of weight... [Re: HobbieTrapper] #1301215
04/11/09 11:52 AM
04/11/09 11:52 AM
se. mn... age..64
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper
Jim Blakley  Offline
trapper

se. mn... age..64
To run a 3 day check In MN. you need drowners. It does slow you down some. But I can put out more than 1 line this way. I dont haul any wts. when setting. Stakes would work on the deep end at some of my stops. But alot of my locations have a sand/gravel mix on the bottom, and I can get pogos to work in this most of the time. Heres some Pics. of my rigs.

This is a 6 ft. rig. Its fits in my palm and will last forever.

Last edited by Jim Blakley; 04/11/09 12:07 PM.

.....Ive been at this Game for over 50 years and have no plans to stop................
Re: Water trapping raccoon... A question of weight... [Re: Jim Blakley] #1306471
04/14/09 09:41 PM
04/14/09 09:41 PM
North Texas
T
TexTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TexTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

North Texas
Hey guys, I was out dealing with wildfires for a few days & came back to these responses.. Thank you to the folks who added to the discussion..

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91