General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snare building questions? [Re: ] #135565
03/14/07 08:58 PM
03/14/07 08:58 PM
Kent Co. Delaware
reddawg Offline
trapper
reddawg  Offline
trapper

Kent Co. Delaware
ADC That was excellant info on loading a snare . Those pictures and write-up should go in the archives. Good Stuff!

"Life's tough,pilgrim,and it's even tougher if you're stupid ."
Re: Snare building questions? [Re: reddawg] #135584
03/14/07 09:04 PM
03/14/07 09:04 PM
Kent Co. Delaware
reddawg Offline
trapper
reddawg  Offline
trapper

Kent Co. Delaware
amtrapper, I'm no snareman. I just tried to make some snares without loading . Didn't work , wouldn't lay right etc. etc. After reading ADC's info every thing was perfect. Not saying those guys you mention don't know their stuff .All I'm saying is it worked for me .Differant strokes for ,,,,,you know the rest .

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: ] #136529
03/15/07 03:49 PM
03/15/07 03:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

amtrapper, I use 90% maybe more non-loaded snares myself, it suits my style of trapping ok. I'd load them but with my choice of locks it's a pain.

However I wouldn't say reccomending loaded snares is bad info.

Perhaps you could explain some advantages of using snares that are not loaded vs. loaded snares. If you can convince me they are better I'll put a disclaimer into my post on how to load them. lol

As for your snare treatment is all wrong IMO. I'll never boil snares again. It promotes corrosion from the inside out of the cables and makes them conciderably stiffer.

~ADC~

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: ] #136567
03/15/07 04:19 PM
03/15/07 04:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

amtrapper, I never said your methods were wrong. (my opinion on the snare treatment) I know many trappers who are set in their ways and "can't see why they need to do something different" if what they are doing works. Perhaps if they did a fair trial of different snares available today they would change their minds. snares have came along way in the last few years, they can custom made for nearly every situation and every critter out there.

I still would like to know why non-loaded snares are better than loaded ones. I can only think of one situation where they are better but that is a rare exception for coyote guys in Iowa.

~ADC~

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: ] #136602
03/15/07 04:47 PM
03/15/07 04:47 PM
Kent Co. Delaware
reddawg Offline
trapper
reddawg  Offline
trapper

Kent Co. Delaware
Wow,, now I'm confused?? ADC ?? you say you use aprox 90% non-loaded snares. OK Where ? you didn't mention ? If for some reason you don't want to say ,like "amtrapper" doesn't want to say he likes Amberg snares, thats ok

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: reddawg] #136615
03/15/07 04:56 PM
03/15/07 04:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL SF, I use them in ditches for coons. I also have a regulation that says I have to have deer stops on all my snares. Because of that a large varity of sizes of coons, I can not find a way to neck snare and dispatch all of them. So I live snare them with no entanglement. When I do this I want them caught by the body preferably just behind both front legs, no need to load them for that, coons plow right through. However if they were loaded they would still work fine. It's just I'm too lazy to load 400-600 snares when I'm building them. lol

The situation I mentioned about coyote snares in Iowa is unique because we can olny have an 8" wide loop but it can be as tall as we want so a tall loop 8" wide is easier to get a coyotes head in than a 8" round loop.

~ADC~

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: ] #136909
03/15/07 08:05 PM
03/15/07 08:05 PM
Kent Co. Delaware
reddawg Offline
trapper
reddawg  Offline
trapper

Kent Co. Delaware
OK ADC Thanks!

Re: Snare building questions? [Re: reddawg] #137080
03/15/07 09:32 PM
03/15/07 09:32 PM
Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
You are right about the 8 inch loops. Just because a coyote "can" get his head into one does not mean he "will" put his head into it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91