General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Canies and Human Scent Experiment [Re: HobbieTrapper] #1399196
06/30/09 09:22 AM
06/30/09 09:22 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Results of "just urine" are as follows...........

Circled 10yds but came no closer...........

-Goofy-
Re: Canies and Human Scent Experiment [Re: HobbieTrapper] #1399212
06/30/09 09:43 AM
06/30/09 09:43 AM
backwoods N. Wi.
Fox Claw Offline
trapper
Fox Claw  Offline
trapper

backwoods N. Wi.
Originally Posted By: HobbieTrapper
Results of "just urine" are as follows...........

Circled 10yds but came no closer...........

Maybe try eating some of them peelers? That might up the human urine attraction.

Re: Canies and Human Scent Experiment [Re: Fox Claw] #1399494
06/30/09 03:39 PM
06/30/09 03:39 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

LOL! laugh

-Goofy-
Re: Canies and Human Scent Experiment [Re: HobbieTrapper] #1399582
06/30/09 05:24 PM
06/30/09 05:24 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
As I pointed out in an earlier post, leaving excessive human scent didn't always cause a set avoidance but it most always made the canine work the set differently. Set circleing was very common, going to higher ground to look around, approaching the set nervously from the backside, digging in from the side, etc. Coyotes were almost always extremely wary but there were some that seemed to pay no attention to the excessive human or foreign scents and wasted no time commitiong to the set and examining the lure. Red fox were way more accepting of the human scents but there were still a considerable number that become extremely nervous and jittery. Fox in my region are more used living in close proximity with humans than coyotes so that may be the reason. Being a lure maker I would like to say that a great lure will overcome suspicion and make a canine risk his hide but that is not the case. I have experimented with about 40 different formulas provided to me by some of America's most proficient trappers and none would entice a too wary canine to commit to the set. Better lures appeared to keep them in the area longer thinking about commiting but eventually the more wary ones would move on without commitment anyway. Again, I'm sure the results of such testing would show a wide variation from region to region. I may be wrong but I have thought about the subject and conversed with trappers who have trapped in a number of regions and I have come to the conclusion that the population of the canine in a given area vs the availability of food supply may be the the factor that causes such variables. Here in upper Michigan the canine numbers are modest and the food supply is unending Summer and Winter so perhaps they can afford to be more disciminating about risking thier hide so to speak. Asa

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91