ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Snake- snake eviction fluid #1423186
07/21/09 08:42 PM
07/21/09 08:42 PM
Northeast Mississppi
D
DWhite Offline OP
trapper
DWhite  Offline OP
trapper
D

Northeast Mississppi
Hey folks,
Just wondering, are there anything like snake eviction fluid, similar to raccoon eviction fluid, on the market ? I have a job where a snake has been seen in attic. I have had snake traps placed near entry door for about a week, and nothing. House has been vacant for about a year and half, and concerned it may still be there. Any ideas ? Thanks

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: DWhite] #1423224
07/21/09 08:57 PM
07/21/09 08:57 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Hope this helps- from The Wildlife Pro Network Archives:

Effective Snake Repellents

Snake management methods used by WS include trapping and the use of snake–sniffing detector dogs. To improve these management methods, research is underway to develop toxicants, reproductive sterilants, improved trap lures, and chemical repellents.

Research has shown that cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol are effective snake repellents. Snakes will retreat when sprayed directly with these oils and will exit cargo or other confined spaces when these oils are introduced to the area.

On March 6, 1996, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published in the Federal Register a notice exempting certain minimum risk pesticides from regulation under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). The exemption, issued by EPA under the authority of FIFRA Section 25(b) and codified at 40 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 152.25, applies to cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol. These materials are exempt from the requirements of FIFRA when used as pesticide active ingredients provided that:

1. They are used alone or in combination with other active ingredients exempted under FIFRA 25(b);
2. They contain only EPA List 4(A) inert ingredients. The list of acceptable inert ingredients may be obtained from the following Web site: http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/inerts/lists.html.

While cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol are exempted from Federal regulation under FIFRA Section 25(b), they are not automatically exempt from regulation by the State or Territory in which they are used. Before using any of these materials as a snake repellent, contact the territory or State agency responsible for pesticide regulation to determine whether additional regulatory requirements apply.

Endangered Species Considerations

Before using any of these materials as a snake repellent, consult with appropriate wildlife authorities to ensure that the use does not present a hazard to any threatened or endangered species. It may be necessary to obtain a permit from the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Fish and Wildlife Service and/or the applicable State or local wildlife agency before repellents may be used. Obtaining all required permits and licenses is the responsibility of the applicator.

General Information

Any use of cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol to manage snakes must comply with information in this tech note. A copy of this tech note must be in the possession of any individual applying these oils to manage snakes.

Obtaining Repellent Oils

Applicators may obtain oils from any retail or wholesale chemical supplier. Any commercially available brand with 95 percent or greater food–grade oil is acceptable. When ordering these products, use the information below:

* Cinnamon oil: CAS No. 8015–91–6
* Clove oil: CAS No. 8000–34–8
* Eugenol: CAS No. 97–53–0.

Aerosol Spray Application

Cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol aerosol sprays are effective for moving snakes. Spray
mixtures should be formulated to contain:

* One percent active ingredient (either cinnamon, clove, or eugenol oil)
* One percent sodium lauryl sulfate
* Ninety–eight percent water.

To use, spray the mixture directly on the snake, aiming for its head. Direct contact with the snake will trigger escape behavior. To be effective, the spray must come in direct contact with the snake. Application to hard surfaces will not prevent snakes from entering areas.

Vapor Fumigant Application

Cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol may also be used to fumigate enclosed spaces. To prepare, saturate a piece of absorbent material with one of the oils. Use only unadulterated oils. Pass hot air directly over the saturated absorptive material to volatilize the oils. DO NOT USE OPEN FLAMES TO HEAT THE OILS. The heated air should be no hotter than 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or no hotter than 10 degrees Fahrenheit below the flash point of the oil being used. The flash point for eugenol is 230 degrees Fahrenheit, and the flash points for cinnamon oil and clove oil are 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Direct the heated air into containers, cargo spaces, house crawl spaces, or other enclosed spaces where snakes may be located. Snakes will emerge and vacate the treated space. This application method is only effective for driving snakes out of enclosed spaces. These oils will not prevent snakes from entering enclosed spaces.

Storage and Disposal

Store oils in the original container. Recycle containers or dispose of them in an appropriate landfill.

Potential Hazards

Applicator hazards are not expected, unless the applicator is allergic to the oil being used. If eye
irritation occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. If breathing difficulty occurs, remove person to fresh air and call a physician. Clove oil and eugenol are known fish anesthetics, and therefore should not be applied directly to water.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: Robb Russell] #1423278
07/21/09 09:16 PM
07/21/09 09:16 PM
illinois
T
twodollar Offline
trapper
twodollar  Offline
trapper
T

illinois
what about liquid fence, snake away, snake out etc. the liquid and granular/dust repellents that people put down? do they work?

I pulled a snake out of a skylight in a camping trailer this week and the customer was asking, i didnt have a good answer.

"you wont kill anything sitting at home"
Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: DWhite] #1423412
07/21/09 10:11 PM
07/21/09 10:11 PM
Northeast Mississppi
D
DWhite Offline OP
trapper
DWhite  Offline OP
trapper
D

Northeast Mississppi
Thanks for the quick info, guys. I'm still reading over it. I've been getting several snake calls, and I've just started venturing that way. Seems to me a Jack Russel terrier that knew what to do would be worth it's weight in gold. I've been reluctant to climb around in attic, 6'4", 240 lbs., and "more" clumsy than I used to be, ha. House has been vacant for about year and half, folks working on it getting it ready to move in. Got little worms all over the place. Pest control guy sprayed for them, and they're coming out of the woodworks. Very small, about one inch long. I'm wondering if that's what the snake is there for, hadn't found any mice sign.
THANKS AGAIN for the great info...
Dale

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: twodollar] #1423423
07/21/09 10:18 PM
07/21/09 10:18 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: twodollar
what about liquid fence, snake away, snake out etc. the liquid and granular/dust repellents that people put down? do they work?

I pulled a snake out of a skylight in a camping trailer this week and the customer was asking, i didnt have a good answer.

Again from my archives:

According to the MSDS, Liquid Fence's snake repellent doesn't contain the mixture recommended in the article. Dr T's is just napthalene flakes (mothballs).

Snake Out. It's a powder consistency, similar to flour. Says granules on the label but it sure looks like powder. Active ingredients are:

Cinnamon oil .6%
Clove oil .3%

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: Robb Russell] #1423620
07/22/09 12:02 AM
07/22/09 12:02 AM
Northeast Mississppi
D
DWhite Offline OP
trapper
DWhite  Offline OP
trapper
D

Northeast Mississppi
Robb, I got couple questions. As far as vapor fumigant application, what have you found to be most effective to pass the hot air in both attics and crawl spaces?

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: DWhite] #1423843
07/22/09 09:16 AM
07/22/09 09:16 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Dale I have never used the "vapor fumigant application" just Cahaba Snake glueboards they have replaceable pads.It's a licensing issue here in Florida.

Cahaba Snake Boards From WCS

This is the large-sized Cahaba Snake Trap which measures 32"L x 10"W x 2.5"H. This trap is made of an outdoor commercial grade plastic which makes it weather resistant and completely reusable. Comes complete with three (3) glue pad inserts.

This trap can handle the largest of nuisance snakes, and they can be released unharmed, if desired. Ordinary cooking oil or a spray such as PAM "neutralizes" the glue and the snake can easily be released unharmed.

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: Robb Russell] #1423876
07/22/09 09:58 AM
07/22/09 09:58 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I've used it...not a big believer in it though.

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: LT GREY] #1424278
07/22/09 02:00 PM
07/22/09 02:00 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
lots of good info... ive finally landed my dream job.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: BUD25] #1425167
07/22/09 09:26 PM
07/22/09 09:26 PM
illinois
T
twodollar Offline
trapper
twodollar  Offline
trapper
T

illinois
so, basically unless you buy like strait clove oil, the commercial repellants dont work then.

"you wont kill anything sitting at home"
Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: twodollar] #1425240
07/22/09 10:11 PM
07/22/09 10:11 PM
Northeast Mississppi
D
DWhite Offline OP
trapper
DWhite  Offline OP
trapper
D

Northeast Mississppi
I have both commercial grade plastic traps and cardboard ones for interior. Been using them since last fall, with Strike-um snake lure. Hadn't caught a snake yet. Must not be "holding my mouth right".

Re: snake eviction fluid [Re: twodollar] #1425251
07/22/09 10:18 PM
07/22/09 10:18 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

The government, USDA uses Eugenol in Guam for their invasive brown snake control programs at the airport.

Some of this is the same info I already posted.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damag...Tech%20Note.pdf

Last edited by Robb Russell; 07/22/09 10:20 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper