Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
RecepiesWanted ..........Groundhog Recipes #1358719
05/27/09 12:48 PM
05/27/09 12:48 PM
Monterey,VA
H
hilandcooner Offline OP
trapper
hilandcooner  Offline OP
trapper
H

Monterey,VA
My son wants to try a groundhog. I know it has to be young other than that its all I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Buzzard; 06/08/09 08:32 AM.
Re: RecepiesWanted ..........Groundhog Recipes [Re: hilandcooner] #1489221
09/08/09 07:45 PM
09/08/09 07:45 PM
East TN
C
cur Offline
trapper
cur  Offline
trapper
C

East TN
Young groundhog can be fried like frying chicken.Just dress like you would a squirrel, cut in peices,soak over night in salt water to pull out blood. Roll in flower and drop in a greased skillet There is a gland in the front leg armpit that looks like a small brown kernel of corn. That needs to be removed when dressing. If the groundhog is older he is good cooked all day in the crock pot untill the meat falls off the bones and then smother with your choice of barbecue sauce. I have ate many of them as a boy growing up on the farm. You might just cook 1/2 of one off the bones (remove bones from kettle)then add flower salt and pepper to the stock which will change it to gravy the add egg noddles to the meat and gravy untill soft and ready to eat.Us southern folks like to go on about squirrel and dumplins, try groundhog and dumplins once. Alot more meat and just as tasty. Good luck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread