ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: ] #138128
03/16/07 04:56 PM
03/16/07 04:56 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
God's honnest truth: Hire a professional ADC Operator.
Mothballs will never work, but now they know that someone is aware of them and trapping them will be a tad more dificult.Not trying to be rude here, but that is my honnest answer.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: Dtwarrow] #138189
03/16/07 05:28 PM
03/16/07 05:28 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
1 - Remove by trapping. (Cage traps w/covers work great)
2 - Perform exclusion work to prevent repeat of same problem.
Forget the mothballs. You (or anyone else) would be breaking a federal law by using mothballs, ammonia, or any other chemical that doesn't say "for skunk removal" on the label. Check out some websites on using chemicals for wildlife, and you will find it is not legal. I find it interesting how animal rights wackos all suggest mothballs or other illegal methods on their websites featuring "friendly" methods of animal control. Can you say severe occular and respiratory irritation? Yep, that's real friendly.

Ron Scheller

Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: ] #140054
03/17/07 06:57 PM
03/17/07 06:57 PM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
Ron, you bring up a very good point that I'm sure few people including many WCO's, didn't realize on mothballs. Interesting how many "home remedies" there for all kinds of things. I've seen mothballs even used for bat removal....of course it didn't work! Thanks for bringing up a very informative point.

Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: ] #140570
03/18/07 07:30 AM
03/18/07 07:30 AM
Massachusetts
Thomas Reilly Offline
trapper
Thomas Reilly  Offline
trapper

Massachusetts
 Originally Posted By: suredve
if i were to use cage traps, i thought about butting them up to the entrance hole, but am not sure this is such a good idea?

would it be better to place them a few feet away from the hole and use natural means to funnel them in?

also should i cover the traps with a blanket and leave partly open or not use any cover at all toill after their caught?

A positive set is good this time of year (butt it up) because its mating time, if you have a hot female in there, traps left out will catch males,,, If you have the trap a few feet away and use skunk boards to funnel them in, they have to be high enough so they dont climb over.

Sometimes a skunk will avoid a covered trap or a safegaurd, then I use those williams, with the black and one by one openings, more room and less intimidating.

if you are one of those, nonlethal only people, take a simple trap with a swinging trapdoor and cut the a** end out and fasten it to the structure, you may also need to do exclusion work, (bury welded wire)to the rest of the space

also like Ron says,,the label is the law, not only that but exposure to mothballs is a serious health hazard with both acute and chronic results

Men who sling mud quickly lose ground
Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: Thomas Reilly] #140748
03/18/07 10:57 AM
03/18/07 10:57 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
On mothballs.
I am often asked by customers on their use. First I stress that they are not labeled for the use of repelling animals and as such are illegal to use. Second I stress that under certain conditions they can have a repellant action, those conditions would be a totally enclosed area with a large amount of mothballs used (here I point out that the proper use of mothballs is for repelling moths in small closets or trunks where woolens are stored). In other words, not the conditions found in an open yard or ventilated attic or crawlspace such as we deal with. I also stress that should such a concentration of mothballs be used it would act as a repellant on all mammals including the human mammals we are trying to help.
Third I explain the fumigant nature of mothballs and the fact that the fumes are heavier than air with the result that the fumes end up somewhere other than where wanted (such as the living area of a house if used in an attic).

[Linked Image]
Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: warrior] #141090
03/18/07 03:56 PM
03/18/07 03:56 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
Yes by all means butt them up against the hole. I also use hardware cloth to "wire them in" so that any skunk in the hole has only one option>>> into the trap.

I also place a regualar not hardwared up trap nearby to catch any skunk that may not be in the hole at the time I set it up.

On all of my skunk traps I simply wrap with cardboard and duct tape leaving both the back end and the door open, works great they do not spray and can see through the back end, and it can be done on the fly with any trap I have already on my truck.

One note... I also like the large (raccoon size) williams trap for skunk trapping. In my opinion the smaller traps do not always have enough clearance for the larger males tails.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: ] #145678
03/21/07 01:10 PM
03/21/07 01:10 PM
Michigan. USA.
C
cagetrapper Offline
trapper
cagetrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Michigan. USA.
The Only thing that I know for a Fact that Mothballs are good for is Snakes. Snakes breath w/ when their tongue goes in and out..And they'll breath the stong odor and they'll slither away..

My clients all do this also, and I just Laugh...There are even some who say that they need to go to the store and get some Tomato Juice cause their dog got sprayed. What I say is this..."If you have a White Dog, the Dog will become Orange" The Tomato stuff just don't work..

As for Skunks..
Just get some Small Marshmellows, or Egg Shells, Get some of Leggett's Skunk and Oppossum Lure, drip some on the eggs, or marshmellows, and you'll have a skunk..Drape a Covering over it and dispose of it or do whatever your State Laws say..

Stan

Stan's Predator and Varmint Control
754 Sunbrook Drive
Grand Rapids, Michigan. 49508-7706
Re: skunks under house/ how to... [Re: ] #146235
03/21/07 05:51 PM
03/21/07 05:51 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
 Originally Posted By: cagetrapper
The Only thing that I know for a Fact that Mothballs are good for is Snakes. Snakes breath w/ when their tongue goes in and out..And they'll breath the stong odor and they'll slither away.-------.

For information only; not flaming.

Snakes do not “breath w/ when their tongue goes in and out”. They breathe through nostrils, trachea, and lungs. The nostrils and tongue, along with Jacobson's organs and olfactory chambers, are used to detect odor. A basic discussion on “How Snakes Work” can be found at http://science.howstuffworks.com/snake1.htm .

The active ingredient of most “moth balls” is NAPHTHALENE. A detailed discussion of NAPHTHALENE can be viewed at http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles/s116znph.pdf

The main active ingredient of Snake-A-Way is also NAPHTHALENE. The MSDS is at http://www.animalrepellents.com/Msds/snakeawaymsds.pdf . For a humorous story on the use of mothballs as a snake repellent see http://home.sc.rr.com/carsan/snakeaway.html We all know how effective Snake-A-Way really is; I hope.

Moth balls are effective,----------------for Moths, when properly used. Additionally, the gasses given off by moth balls, as they evaporate, is flammable when concentrated.

Ron Fry

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper