General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: neck snareing coon [Re: mr. finch] #1632210
12/03/09 05:28 PM
12/03/09 05:28 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Hey ADC !!!!! you said "If you set your small loops just the right height off the ground you'll neck snare all the coons you catch. I'd start with a 5" loop and set it 6" off the trail. Use an agressive non relaxing lock"

And just how do you define non relaxing lock ? Who makes them ? can you name any ?

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: neck snareing coon [Re: Newt] #1632352
12/03/09 06:34 PM
12/03/09 06:34 PM
SE Iowa
J
just Offline
trapper
just  Offline
trapper
J

SE Iowa
Originally Posted By: Newt
Hey ADC !!!!! you said "If you set your small loops just the right height off the ground you'll neck snare all the coons you catch. I'd start with a 5" loop and set it 6" off the trail. Use an agressive non relaxing lock"

And just how do you define non relaxing lock ? Who makes them ? can you name any ?

Cam locks and my washer locks
Have a good 1
just

Fur
An American treasure
Re: neck snareing coon [Re: mr. finch] #1633678
12/04/09 08:58 AM
12/04/09 08:58 AM

A
ADC
Unregistered
ADC
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: mr. finch
For me I just choose to use the right cable and locks and set-ups to avoid as much snare mark as possible and target them right behind both front feet on the 2x or bigger coons I target.

~ADC~maybe we can pm each other and talk about that too? thanks jamie

I've found a lock like a quarter sized washer lock on 3/32" cable leaves less of a mark than other set-ups I've tried on coons caught in non-entanglement situations, which I prefer. The snaremarks can be massaged out of a warm coon some as well.

Beav - no killpoles for my coons. I tried them but without wanting to miss a bunch of coons by attempting to neck snare them I didn't care for the way the body caught coons were treated (and the way they treated themselves).

Newt - cam-locks, sure-locks, bullet locks, etc... even slim locks when they are new. wink

~ADC~

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91