General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? #1796496
02/05/10 11:13 AM
02/05/10 11:13 AM

B
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
B

Let's hear some ideas for what you guys think would be the way to build the ultimate cage trap, and why.

What are you looking for? Weight, door style, locking mechanism, frame, size, folding or non-folding, stacking or non-stacking, etc.?

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1796844
02/05/10 01:34 PM
02/05/10 01:34 PM
Nebraska
C
cagemaker Offline
trapper
cagemaker  Offline
trapper
C

Nebraska
DON'T ASK ME....

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1796861
02/05/10 01:41 PM
02/05/10 01:41 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Buck, this is all theoretical as I have not put anything to paper much less to the prototype stage.
First the pan, flush with the cage floor to defeat the reach over coons and keep it from getting tugged on and bent. Hinged in such a way that the drop is more of a straight down rather than pivoting from one end. To protect this pan from prying paws it is mounted below the cage floor wire with the floor wire overlapping 1/2" all the way around. That combined with minimal drop (+/-1/8") would keep prying paws out.
Next, operating rods should be completely contained. Not inside the trap to be bent or outside to be damaged in transport or fired from the outside. Possibly run underneath since the pan design will require some sort of false floor. On the door I haven't got any firm ideas but here's what I think. The guillotine has it's place but limits the traps use in certain tight spots (think ADC work) and provides a target for some animals to play with (raccoons) as well as increasing the traps visual signature. The slanting door does not have those issues but most designs leave half of the door hanging out the front of the trap when set. Many of these traps can be fired from the outside by bumping the door. The door needs to be completely contained within the frame of the trap to prevent this and to also allow be use in a postive set. While were at it make the foward frame three sided, sides and top so that the addition of a panel on the front could make a nose cone for ADC work for burrowing animals and without the panel lessens the amount of wire the animal has to walk on. Make the door the exact height of the trap so that it is vertical when closed to stop the wedging effect an animal can put on a slanted door. This also should stop alot of raw noses on certain species that push on doors. This would also eliminate the need for a seperate spring loaded bar to hold the bottom down. A simple mechanical lock at or near the bottom should suffice to hold the door closed. It would also facilitate the roll over release once the door was unlocked. The lock should be able to be unlocked from the outside of the trap frame and foward of the door to keep fingers clear of the catch. Here a simple spring loaded bar on each side at the bottom of the frame should suffice. I can see a release something like this, roll the trap onto it's top with the front lower than the rear, this puts the locks up for easy access, reach down with both hands and push the foward end of the lock bars and the door falls open. The only downside that immediately comes to mind is that the door would be gravity only and would not function properly if the trap was positioned anywhere less than horizontal. Somehow, someway I would like to combine the spring assist closing of the slant doors and retain the rollover release. Maybe a seperate setable spring for the door? The trigger mechanism would need some work, maybe a bar underneath that trips another bar that runs vertical alongside the door to hold it open? While were talking ideals this mechanism should be adaptable to operating two door walk through model that can function either as a two or one door.
As for contruction it should be GAW or even GAW (of sufficient guage, slighty heavier than the current safeguards) and powdercoated (our choice tan, brown, grey, black, white or combination thereof) for longevity. While I am not a big fan of the 1/4" rod framed traps due to weight I want a definite reinforcing frame of some sort and not just wire clipped together, those clips get loose and fall off and skunks and dillers have been known pull the wire inward. I also want something other than a 1/4" rod frame with wire wrapped around it as I've seen coon bull their way through and rip the wire off of the frame. Maybe GAW put up in panels of say 1/8" flat stock(possible use of angle for the corners) and then the panels welded to create the cage? This would also give added strength for stacking cages and equipment in storage or protect them from falls (coons tossing them off roofs, techs dropping them from ladders). As you can see this will not be a collapsible or folding cage. I have yet to find one durable enough, but if this design can be made to fold and be durable so be it. For the ADC man this design could be made in a series that takes into acount storage. For instance a coon size that can hold 18 squirrel size two rows three wide and three high (squirrel 4"x4"x18" to fit inside a 14"x14"x36" coon or eight 6"x6"x18" skunk). Okay, those sizes will need some adjusting but you get the idea that nesting traps should be considered in the design. It could even be something like what Yancy did with his cat traps, three or four similar size traps nested for the cat market.
Just some ideas that I thought I would toss out there.

[Linked Image]
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: warrior] #1796865
02/05/10 01:44 PM
02/05/10 01:44 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
While we're at it a hinged door in the top rear of the trap with positive locking for bait placement, maybe even the option of a removable bait cage to slide into the door opening.

[Linked Image]
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: warrior] #1796868
02/05/10 01:46 PM
02/05/10 01:46 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Another wild hair, an optional add on flagging system that pops up when the door is down to make checking from a distance possible.

[Linked Image]
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: warrior] #1796924
02/05/10 02:13 PM
02/05/10 02:13 PM
Indiana
V3N Offline
trapper
V3N  Offline
trapper

Indiana
An instructor in robotics at Rose-Hulman University near Terre Haute Indiana built the one I most admire.
It was based on a Havahart 1079 single door trap.
Under the trap he added a floor that contained a pressure plate. He removed the trigger system completely and replaced it with a soleniod that pulled a pin to release the door. At the back was a feeder like on a rabbit cage that would supply food to the animal and a place for a water supply in hot weather. The top was covered with a plastic top to provide shade from heat and protection from rain.
The thing I like best was the sensor box. On top was a small box with a micro processor that monitored the pressure plate.
He was targeting large raccoons and the plate was set for 5 pounds and 10 seconds. The Doctor believed that a large raccoon weighed over 5 pounds, and that raccoons would not stay in the trap to eat.
He programed the Brain Box to weigh every animal that came into the trap, and time how long they stayed. If the animal was too light a buzzer went off to scare it away. If the animal was heavy enough but stayed over 10 seconds it was a cat or dog and the buzzer went off. If it heavy enough and left and returned 3 times in a row it was a raccoon and the box sent a signal to release the door.
A second solenoid controled a lid that could close over the feeder if the buzzed didn't chase the critter away. The feeder would close for 10 minutes then reopen.
I was impressed. For ADC it had potential. Needed some work but still a cool idea.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: upstateNY] #1796953
02/05/10 02:29 PM
02/05/10 02:29 PM
eastern washinghton
70sdiver Offline
trapper
70sdiver  Offline
trapper

eastern washinghton
I'd buy that trap in a second

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: 70sdiver] #1797171
02/05/10 03:54 PM
02/05/10 03:54 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
When we say Ultimate....is this for a 'coon or a bobcat?
Big difference there!

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: 70sdiver] #1797212
02/05/10 04:07 PM
02/05/10 04:07 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
The perfect trap to one is different for the other.

Design is not the problem. It is cost. The trap can be designed with multiple doors on each end if needed. Locks can be different than other traps. Doors can be on top or bottom. Trap can be made with a pan or wire trigger.Door force can be as much as the metal can withstand.

Cost in this economy prevents dreaming to a great degree. They can be built cheap enough just takes capital and the demand for the product to do the volume needed for the cost effectiveness.

Got to go

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Kirk De] #1797230
02/05/10 04:13 PM
02/05/10 04:13 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I want a mess of the barrel type traps the DNR uses to relocate bears. The could scale them down some for my local area LOL- but the design looks like it should last if you know what I mean.
I also like the wheels trailer set up- I hate carrying critters very far especially if they are alive and trying to tack a chunk out of my backside

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: LT GREY] #1797291
02/05/10 04:36 PM
02/05/10 04:36 PM

B
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
When we say Ultimate....is this for a 'coon or a bobcat?
Big difference there!

The answer is...yes.

Would your ultimate cage trap be designed for both bobcats and coons, just coons, or just bobcats?

If the cage would be designed for just coons or just bobcats, how would you design each of them?

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1797342
02/05/10 04:57 PM
02/05/10 04:57 PM

A
ADC OP
Unregistered
ADC OP
Unregistered
A

Simple Buck! It just has to be escape proof, made of something that would not break, bend, or rust. Folds down with the touch of a button from 18x15x36 to fit into your shirt pocket, weighs less than 1/2 lb., be invisable to thieves and animals, cost under $5 each and be readilly available through any trapping supply buisness. Not too much to ask.

~ADC~

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1797417
02/05/10 05:24 PM
02/05/10 05:24 PM
Colorado
S
sixbits Offline
trapper
sixbits  Offline
trapper
S

Colorado
You going into business Buck? If so I have some Ideas I could let you have for a fee like maybe $1000.00 what do you say.LOL

Why put out traps that cost $200.00 for some [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] to find and think he should take home?

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Mercer Lawing] #1797445
02/05/10 05:33 PM
02/05/10 05:33 PM

B
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
BuckNE OP
Unregistered
B

Sixbits, no, just getting some ideas. There's a wide range of cage traps, and was just kinda curious what attributes people find most appealing in them, and what improvements they could make if they were to design their own.

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: VantuckyKain] #1798069
02/05/10 08:49 PM
02/05/10 08:49 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Why thank you.

PM sent

ML

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Mercer Lawing] #1798725
02/06/10 12:13 AM
02/06/10 12:13 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Furhvrstr- them are nice!

I know I cannot afford to by them- how bout I hire you to come work for me for a year (building cages) as well as tiny salary, you could live in my 2nd house and get a beef a year- I would shoe and pay vet fees on as many outside colts as you wanted to ride
LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Leftlane] #1798764
02/06/10 12:30 AM
02/06/10 12:30 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
Bobcat? I would want one that a cat doesn't actually have to enter to get caught. Inexpensive too.

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1799368
02/06/10 10:34 AM
02/06/10 10:34 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Mine would be,,,,,,

As light as the "Yancy design

As strong as the Schroeder design

And as fast as the Kirk Dekalb design......

(did I miss anyone) ....lol

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Vinke] #1799445
02/06/10 11:02 AM
02/06/10 11:02 AM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Why not make it out of plastic like the heavy duty shopping carts?
It would never rust and would be stronger than wire and rod.
ML

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: ] #1799459
02/06/10 11:10 AM
02/06/10 11:10 AM
NE Kansas
T
trapfurfun Offline
trapper
trapfurfun  Offline
trapper
T

NE Kansas
If a guy could make a live trap that was light weight, fairly inexpensive, caught only cats and when I got there the cat would be skinned, fleshed and drying on a wooden stretcher, now thats a live trap I would invest in!! grin grin

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks--John Muir
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: trapfurfun] #1800641
02/06/10 08:04 PM
02/06/10 08:04 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Man they're proud of that 14 gauge 1" x 1" x 36" Red Brand wire. On the internet it's priced at $284.99 for 100'. Quite an investment but not bad when you figger how many traps that will build. I checked with a local store. He's ordering a truckload next week and will have a price for me Monday.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: Gary Benson] #1801236
02/07/10 12:09 AM
02/07/10 12:09 AM
Colorado
S
sixbits Offline
trapper
sixbits  Offline
trapper
S

Colorado
If you are in a place you dont have coon you can use 1x2 wire.It will hold cats ,badgers skunks.
That is all I use on my traps.

Re: The ultimate cage trap, how would you build it? [Re: sixbits] #1801248
02/07/10 12:13 AM
02/07/10 12:13 AM
Northern California
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper
CAGEYCAT  Offline
trapper

Northern California
I've used the 1x2 also but i do prefer the 1x1

Page 1 of 2 1 2