ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Tools- What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade #167996
04/06/07 12:52 PM
04/06/07 12:52 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline OP
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline OP
trapper

Recently I joined this forum and have tried my best to lurk in the background. I have have enjoyed reading what many of you have written. Bob Jameson posts have been both useful and educational and I am honored to have access to his knowledge. I am sure many more of you here equally have great things to share.

I have a military background infact, some of my best trapping has occurred teaching SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape) to Pilots as well as trying to protect property in the jungle and in mountain training. I have caught my fair share of monkeys, feral hogs and snakes as well as some strange critters over the years in my travels.

This leads me to my question, what is your basic load that needs to be on your truck to handle most of your calls?

Most of my calls are Raccoons, Possums, Squirrels and Bats and I have read others deal with Pigeons, Ground Hogs and others exclusively. I am sure other species require other items and would love to read that too.

What should be on my truck? What is necessary to be on yours.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Robb Russell] #168319
04/06/07 04:03 PM
04/06/07 04:03 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
I have a complete inventory list I could get ya later, but it'll be a scan not a type in because I am too lazy.

If Raccoons, Possums, Squirrels and Bats are what you are focusing on at this time(with the exception of baits and traps) I would recomend a good set of cordless tools. I even have a 12vDC recharging unit for mine which was a great addition to my truck. Ladders of course. If starting from scratch I recommend a 6' step also a 24'and a 32'extension. You can substitute a little giant type for the step and 24 if youlike but I think that the 24 and the step are faster on and off the truck.

You will need an assortment of fasteners(both stainless and regular) and exclusion materials like sheet metal(not aluminum) and hardware cloth (both 1/2 in and 1/4 in) a supply of copperstuff it, a good caulk gun and an assortment of silicone and latex caulk, I usually get by with a hand full of spray paint colors like Blk, Gry, Wht, Brn, and Almond, occasionally you'll need others (and this may certainly be different for different areas)

For bats I like the Todal guns and foam and think that they are worth the investment but you may get by short term with cheaper.

A 3# hammer, a regular hammer, a multi tool (I perfer gerber over leatherman) Long flat screwdriver, Vice grips, channel locks, tin snips. (I use tin snips to open my coon bait), a mirror, chimney rods (about 20 ft) and a chimney brush. a fish net, a catch pole and a pig-puller.

This is only a beginning, there are a 1000 more things that the other guys can surely point out as well.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Barkstone] #168353
04/06/07 04:25 PM
04/06/07 04:25 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
your truck will evolve with your business.each season will require restocking/retooling.
hang on it's a wild ride!
bob

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #168536
04/06/07 05:58 PM
04/06/07 05:58 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If talking regarding tools required and equipment that depends on each individual job. One cant possibly carry all the materials for all jobs intended that may be anticipated. Just not enough room. We typically schedule specific work for each day and load for those jobs.We carry ladders on all the trucks from a 12ft adjustable collapsable ladder, a 16' and a 28'or 32'.

Some basic equipment( graspers,heavy and medium weight gloves,snare pole,eye protection, screw assortment, wire, duct tape, pet screen netting, caulk gun, infra red camera, rope, lites,(lites can be your most valuable tool at times)A flashlite and a good spot lite are necessities,and a respirator to name a few basics.

With respects to traps one can carry a simple variety stacked inside one another for space economy to address calls that may come in while one is on the road and deal with them hopefully before you leave an area sort of thing.A variety of lures and baits etc.A transfer cage is handy for doing those random quick cash random animal pick up calls that come in very often or quick animal transfers from traps set to not have to pull the trap on site.

We load daily for that days work. If its going to be a bat job day we load specific bat exclusion needed materials. We always carry basic bag tools,cordless primarily but have power tools for barrier install work when drilling into concrete or cement aprons etc for attachment purposes.

These basics will vary with ones experience to that you will know what you need for daily routine calls. Prepare for the crack, crevice and crawl space jobs and you will be set for the most part.Its the attics, crawl spaces,chimney, interior wall, ceiling /floor voids, duct work, trailor skirting belly paper issues that make a job challenging.

It makes me weary thinking about all of them at the same time.:)

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Bob Jameson] #168905
04/06/07 10:23 PM
04/06/07 10:23 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
Great post Bob,

Quote:
Its the attics, crawl spaces,chimney, interior wall, ceiling /floor voids, duct work, trailor skirting belly paper issues that make a job challenging.

Thats also what gets us out of bed in the mornings to keep at it.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Barkstone] #169301
04/07/07 09:27 AM
04/07/07 09:27 AM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
How about on the outside (advertise wise). Any pic's?

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: victoria vixen] #171242
04/08/07 08:39 PM
04/08/07 08:39 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Outside pics? I've heard of a few people who don't letter their trucks due to possible targeting by animal rights fanatics, but not a problem where I'm located. The benefits of lettering far outweigh any negatives relating to lettering. I get work almost every time I drive through a heaviliy populated area (big cities, lakeshore subdivisions, etc) and they tell me they saw me in their area. Most of the time they get the website and/or phone number FROM THE TAILGATE LETTERING. I often notice people sitting behind me at stoplights, writing down my contact info. As far as items/tools/materials on the truck, I do just as Bob Jameson, load for the jobs each day. Of course I have the basics at all times, but for large jobs it often requires taking everything out and loading for the particular situation. This is especially true on large bat or bird jobs. Jobs requiring the driveable scissors lift are easier to load, as I use my flatbed trailer which has plenty of room and storage. Jobs requiring my towable lift are tougher, as it seems I never have enough room in the truck for everything I end up needing. My wife thinks I need a semi.......... hey, maybe a box truck? BTW, the first pic is my son with a nice rat snake. He is a snake fanatic. Middle pic, delivering my scissors lift for a large truck dock bird netting job. Bottom pic, crossing the Illinois River on a ferry.

Ron Scheller

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Ron Scheller] #172387
04/09/07 08:14 PM
04/09/07 08:14 PM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
Very professional Ron, I hope I see more of you guys out there post on this subject....anyone?

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Ron Scheller] #176444
04/12/07 07:06 PM
04/12/07 07:06 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
"Jobs requiring my towable lift are tougher, as it seems I never have enough room in the truck for everything I end up needing. My wife thinks I need a semi.......... hey, maybe a box truck?"

There are a lot of answers to this issue, including vans, bigger trucks, those reading trucks, a small box truck is not a bad idea...

I'd be interested to know who here RENTS lifts for certain jobs... We can't all be able to afford that equipment, and turning down a job because we don't have it on hand is a waste when you can rent it for a job or two and not spend all that money on something you might use three or four times a year... Granted, Ron has a more specific tallent that insures he will use that stuff a lot... Just wondering.
What is in my truck changes but what is always in there is a basic tool chest, flashlights, gloves, catch / release pole, different size hardware cloth and wire mesh, contracts, cards, flyers, magnets.... And a 6 foot ladder... Other stuff changes a lot...

Last edited by Dtwarrow; 04/12/07 07:18 PM.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Dtwarrow] #176591
04/12/07 08:44 PM
04/12/07 08:44 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Surprisingly enough.... I actually RENT lifts during the year! Mine only has a reach of about 40 feet, and many jobs require a 60 or 80 foot driveable lift. Now THAT'S something that's out of reach, cost-wise. Not only are the giant lifts outrageous, you also truly need a semi to transport them. Add up equipment costs, maintenance, licensing, and insurance and it's obvious - just rent them! However, the smaller one like mine has paid for itself many times over. I was spending 5 to 8 grand a year on lift rentals, and bought mine for less than 6500. Best investment I ever made for the business. Saves time, is much safer than ladders, and gets me jobs no one wants to deal with. At one time (10 years ago) I would walk away from jobs on taller structures, as I "thought" pricing lift rentals into the bids would be too expensive. I have since learned that the people in charge of those type of jobs already know how expensive lift rentals are, and it doesn't surprise them a bit. It took many years before I could stop thinking like a homeowner (cost-wise) and graduate into a commercial mindset. I agree, if you're only using lifts a few times a year, DON'T BUY ONE.

Ron Scheller

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Dtwarrow] #176651
04/12/07 09:12 PM
04/12/07 09:12 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I use rental companies across the country as needed. Primarily Nations Rent is the company we seem to use most since we have a business account with their company. So where ever we travel most states have one of their branch offices located within a reasonable delivery distance from our job site. Each job is different with respects to height and accessibility needs so lift requirements will vary per job.

My crew and I both prefer an articulating lift with a jib attached at the end extension where the bucket is located. This type of lift offers the most versatility on a job in terms of structural accessability and positioning. Equipment brand name such the Genies and JLB's offer the most in features from my experience. We rent several lifts a year and the height requirements vary sometimes radically from job to job.

Most bird jobs a scissors lift is adequate but at times a nuckle boom lift is better. Sometimes we need one of each to do a job or two of each etc. You have to determine in your bid as to what your time of completion will be and factor the lift costs in for that time frame. Renting a lift beyond 3 days with the cost you are better to rent it for a week.

Most of our larger bat jobs require 3 to 5 days on a job typically for lift use.

It has been my experience it is to my advantage to rent vs buying a lift for the reasons mentioned. The cost to buy one and have the largest one you may need for a job can be very expensive.Not to mention the purchase of a semi and flat bed trailor to transport. Then there are the OSHA inspections that must be maintained on the equipment to operate it and insure it etc.

All in all we just bid the cost of a rental into a project as with any other cost of doing business and it works out well for us. Some guys own and haul the smaller 30'-35'lifts but they are a pain to work with especially when accessablitiy to haul one in to the right position to reach what you need and then re tow it into position to reach another part of a structure can be challenging if not impossible at times.

It is all up to what you feel is the better option and suits your needs the best. Renting for our company works out nicely with no overhead or hauling a limited height lift around. Most of your avg. homes are under the 25-30' accessability mark so ladders will suffice on the majority of the work one does for bats, squirrels and bird entry points.

When you get to the 3 story homes it can be difficult to reach everything with ladders. Then you must determine if a lift is an option and if so is the structure going to have adequate accessability to manouveur the lift into position to make it feasable to even consider its use.Or if the client can incur the cost of a lift at all.Many variables to consider when considering the use of a lift.

Typically when (1)lift or more are needed you are into a nice job financially. So bidding their cost into the project is necessary to complete the job safely and in a timely fashion.

Here are a couple of lifts we use regularly on the job. Each has their advantages on certain projects.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Bob Jameson] #177848
04/13/07 07:38 PM
04/13/07 07:38 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
cool pics Bob.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Dtwarrow] #180044
04/15/07 11:04 PM
04/15/07 11:04 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I dont mark my trucks any more.I find that people have animals because the neighbors feed them in alot of cases.When they see an ADC truck in the driveway, all kinds of problems start.The client gets harrassed,the traps are missing,then you gotta get the police involved......
I dont get many jobs with the marked trucks so it realy is a better way for ME to go.

http://www.anytimeanimalcontrol.com
Wildlife Control Nationwide 800-714-8727
Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: MikeFlick] #180354
04/16/07 10:13 AM
04/16/07 10:13 AM
Bahamas
V
victoria vixen Offline
trapper
victoria vixen  Offline
trapper
V

Bahamas
Perhaps then, magnetics would be the way to go. You could stop and remove them prior to your arrival if that was a problem. It is a form of advertising as I'm sure any Critter Control or any big outfit will tell you.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: victoria vixen] #180428
04/16/07 11:44 AM
04/16/07 11:44 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We have all magnetic signs on all of our vehicles. That does allow the removal of them upon request of the client if they so wish.There is much to be said for logo advertisement on a vehicle. We have gotten hundreds of jobs and stopped along the road by people wanting help or had a friend that needed some service.

There I believe are more pros to cons in that area.I agree in some cases it is best to be discreet and not to advertise. Like the low income housing units to state an example. But then you have traps that will be seen also in most cases so in a day or so all the rif raf will know what is up any way.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Bob Jameson] #183900
04/18/07 11:15 PM
04/18/07 11:15 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Im talking about some clients being (high profile)clients.Like movie stars and off the charts rich folks.They dont want to be politicaly incorrect,and I give them that courtesy.When i was in Calif.there a differant bunch of people.Animal rights idiots are everywere.Ya realy gotta wach your back.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: MikeFlick] #183943
04/19/07 12:13 AM
04/19/07 12:13 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
 Originally Posted By: bucksnort
Im talking about some clients being (high profile)clients.Like movie stars and off the charts rich folks.They dont want to be politicaly incorrect,and I give them that courtesy.When i was in Calif.there a differant bunch of people.Animal rights idiots are everywere.Ya realy gotta wach your back.

We got a saying about that.

Let them keep their **** (fill in the animal)!

First and foremost, we will not be dictated to by our customers as to how we perform our tasks. They are the ones with the problem, they called us not the other way around. Yes, we do try to respect the sensibilities of our customers. Some do request that we park in the rear or have issues with lethal traps, if possible and if time allows we comply with their wishes. Of course "idiot fees" do apply.
Our trucks are decaled and our people are uniformed. This is one of the things we are especially proud of (like any true professional) and we will not slink around like a bunch of sneak theives with something to be ashamed of.

[Linked Image]
Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: warrior] #184129
04/19/07 10:00 AM
04/19/07 10:00 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I applaud you warrior.

We too have ways in dealing with that small percentage of picky and particular people. Most are not an issue but some can be.

I have worked and trained companies and individual one man operations in Connecticut over the years. This area is full of infamous individuals. That area has a large influx of movie stars and singers, brokers etc. that I have worked for in training these individuals.

Many times you dont have direct contact with these people personally per say.They will have their grounds keeper or security personnel deal with a contractor. But yes they can have their moments of being very sensitive and / or difficult.

I have become very bold and proud of what I do and the service I provide. They dance my waltz or they sit it out or call someone else.And they will follow the rules I set or we will not provide the service.

Experience gives you this ability to stay in control and to command respect as it is due. It does take time to develop some of these skills and confidence. Age is certainly a big factor in helping with this situation.

One of the largest obstacles a new or aspiring NWCO faces is his establishing authority and taking charge. Some just are not able to cope with this area very well. Some never do.

This can certainly become a big issue when establishing the initial ground rules with a client when selling and setting up a job. As well as establishing a firm understanding with the client of what a job is going to cost up front by explaining all the components of the project.

This way when the job is completed there is no mis understanding as to their financial obligation at this time. This can be a very bad situation if not handled properly initially. Many I am sure some have had this happen to them at some point or another.

This I have found to be a big problem with some NWCO's with respects to clarity and understanding on the clients part.

I kind of got off topic here a bit but it just seemed appropriate to interject some of my experiences while on this topic.

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Bob Jameson] #184681
04/19/07 07:52 PM
04/19/07 07:52 PM
Robb Russell Offline OP
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline OP
trapper

This has proven to be an interesting thread and when I started it I actually thought I was gonna see average load lists for calls or in my language "MY Combat Load".All the comments have proven both valuable and useful.

Thank you!!

If you are like me you get a call while on the road and mentally go through whats on the truck today while talking to the customer. You know your average ADC Nuisance Calls.

What's always on your truck for:

1. Bat Jobs?
2. Raccoons?
3. Squirrels?
4. Rats?
5. Moles?
6. Pigeons
7. Sparrows
8. Others

I am asking for that "Item" you would turn around and go back to the shop or home before you did the next job? and more importantly why?

Re: What's On Your Truck: Tools Of Our Trade [Re: Robb Russell] #185846
04/21/07 05:28 PM
04/21/07 05:28 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Most times my traps,ladders,blankets,and bee suite w/smoker are the most important thing on the truck.Im not going back 50 miles to get batteries,bait,wire or anything i can pick up at the home depot i pass every 15 minutes on the freeway.I try to keep a stocked truck,but when the seasion realy gets bumping,well, we all know how long that lasts.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper