ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pricing- Getting away from per animal charges #2010856
05/30/10 11:00 AM
05/30/10 11:00 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline OP
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline OP
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
So I am thinking about getting away from per animal charges even though that is how everyone in the area works.

I am tired of sitting around and waiting for peoples payments to come in and having to keep track of who is late and all the hassles. Now that I am getting more busy I just have less time for that stuff.

I guess my biggest question is for a simple call. (Raccoons tearing up yard) how would you charge that?

For instance charge for my service call and then figure out how many animals I will catch over the course of the week (say 6 animals over 7 days) and then figure in distance (say 20 miles one way) and figure out a weekly rate.

I also think by doing things this way I can come in and include catches, repair, and exclusion all in one price. Right now I am charging per animal for the catch and then giving them another price for repair/exclusion.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Nathan Krause] #2011063
05/30/10 02:54 PM
05/30/10 02:54 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Time + materials + profit = works for me

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Robb Russell] #2011096
05/30/10 03:18 PM
05/30/10 03:18 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Nathan, if that works for you let me know. Like you said, everyone charges per animal so it might be hard to look competitive in the customers eyes.

For every job that I wish I would have charged by the job there is one where we get way more animals than either I or the customer expected. A good example is a muskrat job I'm doing right now. Small pond, customer said one muskrat. I looked it over and that's all the sign I saw too. Caught mom, dad, and two young so far. I'm usually pretty accurate on small ponds but this one had me fooled. I'm glad I'm getting paid for all of them!

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2011138
05/30/10 04:17 PM
05/30/10 04:17 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
i always had a few customers, even tho i explained to them everything up front, that felt like i was robbing them because i kept trapping animals. They thought i should catch one or two then seal it up. I explained it all to them but they still had that tone in their voice. One price and theirs nothing to complain about.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: ccary] #2011157
05/30/10 04:44 PM
05/30/10 04:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
And how do you decide on that one price? Is it the same for everyone? How do you make it fair so there is nothing to complain about? Do you have more people turn you down with one price?

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2011175
05/30/10 05:21 PM
05/30/10 05:21 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Paul you bring up good points.

It kinda stems from what crtrgtr was saying. I did a job last month where the home owner thought she had a skunk. I was confident she had a wood chuck. Well I caught 2 raccoons and 2 wood chucks. I told her that I believe the raccoons came from the woods behind her home and the wood chucks were under the porch.

Well she still hasn't paid. I called and asked why and she told me because she shouldn't pay for animals that she didn't call about (she called about a skunk). If I would of told her a price and made her pay up front then I wouldn't be going through this right now.

Paul if you charge per animal how do you have them pay up front? I could see if they were always home and wrote the check when you show up for the pick up. But most of my jobs the customer is not around.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Nathan Krause] #2011240
05/30/10 06:46 PM
05/30/10 06:46 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
With new customers we collect the service call when we set the job up. If they aren't going to be home we get the service call on a credit card over the phone.

If we get the service call we almost always get the rest when we bill them at the end of the job. If they don't pay, well collection agencies gotta live too.

The customers that are not around usually pay the best!

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2011328
05/30/10 07:47 PM
05/30/10 07:47 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
Sorry there Paul, i was simply commenting on the fact that one price would fix that.
I charge a flat hourly fee. Does not matter if i catch 20 animals per visit or 1. I know what i am getting paid and they do to. If a customer insist that i seal up the entry before i feel like its complete i have them sign a waiver, which has not happened since i went to hourly charging.

No my price is not the same for everyone, depends on distance to sight and time of course.

Fairness, they are told up front my hourly rate and i give them different cases for example, one of my shortest jobs and one of my longest jobs. I go thru a good explanation of why some jobs take longer and that it is necessary to SOLVE the problem sometimes.

I actually have fewer turn me down.

Now SAME QUESTIONS BACK AT YA. LOL

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: ccary] #2011370
05/30/10 08:26 PM
05/30/10 08:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
No need to be sorry. Fact is, I'm not always real happy with our pricing system; that's why all the questions. Any time I can learn and improve, I will.

Nathan lives just south of me and if he finds something that works, it'll probably work for me too.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2011508
05/30/10 10:25 PM
05/30/10 10:25 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
i hear ya. I am still not satisfied with my system (or maybe just my hourly rate), i am however liking it better than the per animal for my area. Everyone was always ready for me to quit trapping darn squirrels and fix the hole.
I have found the communication is key no matter the pricing.
If you figure something good out or have any suggestions please pm me. I need to learn and improve, much more than you.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: ccary] #2011604
05/31/10 01:06 AM
05/31/10 01:06 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I have found that a hard Number beats a variable every time....

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Vinke] #2011609
05/31/10 01:40 AM
05/31/10 01:40 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Vinke

Exactly. If I take my vehicle in for a slight transmission slip and the guy tells me it's going to cost $800 to fix it, I'm good with that.

If another guy tells me it might only need a filter and fluid change at $175, but might need some more parts, and it might need an entire tranny.... and I'll tell you the cost WHEN I'M DONE..... he's not working on my vehicle.

There is no "set pricing" on jobs.... each is priced according to problem, distance to site, possible exclusion work, etc. The customer is given a cost for the job, but it will seldom be the same for any two customers, even with the same animal.... all depends on the variables.

The key is excellent communication during the explanation of the service you will provide, as well as the desired result and/or the "best result possible" in the particular situation.

If you tell a customer it "may only cost $275" but it might be as much as $550, the only number in his head is the $275... every time. The customer hears what he "wants" to hear. I worked in the service department of a huge motorcycle shop for 20 years.... and only about 5% of the customers can come to grips with costs of major repairs. Same goes for wildlife control.

I would like to add..... why do I see so many who do bat work on a regular basis (which is never priced per animal) and obviously can price those jobs, but then can't figure out how to price animals other than bats? Try pretending your next coon job is a bat job.... maybe it will be easier to price it out?

Ron Scheller

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Ron Scheller] #2011647
05/31/10 06:42 AM
05/31/10 06:42 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I will let you know what I learn Paul.

I think the next 4 calls that come in I am going to price (per job) and see what happens.

It is funny you said collections. My wife asked yesterday if I will let her be the collection agency. lol

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Nathan Krause] #2011680
05/31/10 08:13 AM
05/31/10 08:13 AM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
good post guys!!

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: ccary] #2011721
05/31/10 09:11 AM
05/31/10 09:11 AM
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
C
Chad Kamolz Offline
trapper
Chad Kamolz  Offline
trapper
C

Redwood Falls, Minnesota
I'm going to try that afew upcoming jobs, with pricing by the hour or the job. I had one guy turn me down for beaver control the other day. I think i'll call him back, and give him a new offer. I actually like the idea, of the per hour charge. I mean think about it, everything in life from working at a "job". To the service of your truck, plumber, electrician, basically everything today is billed hourly. I think around here that pricing all together, by the job. Would get me in trouble, if i did'nt charge enough up front. Chad

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Chad Kamolz] #2011729
05/31/10 09:23 AM
05/31/10 09:23 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
How would you determine what your time is actully worth per hour...I know depending on travel, job situation on hand ect...ect... but what kind of a ball park figure would you start out as ?? In making yourself & customer both feel like it's a good deal

Joe Robidoux
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: swampdonkey] #2011763
05/31/10 09:57 AM
05/31/10 09:57 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Originally Posted By: swampdonkey
How would you determine what your time is actully worth per hour...I know depending on travel, job situation on hand ect...ect... but what kind of a ball park figure would you start out as ?? In making yourself & customer both feel like it's a good deal

That is a good question. I know if I put down $100/hr I would never get a job. If I put $30/hr I would lose my shirt in a lot of situations.

Also how would you charge for those jobs where all your doing is picking up an animal? On an average pick up I am on location for less than 10 minutes. Do you plan to charge for a whole hour or will you just charge for the 10 minutes you are there? If you have 5 calls at 10 minutes each you just burned a quarter of the day and only made a hours pay. Just things to think about when considering hourly.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Nathan Krause] #2011785
05/31/10 10:17 AM
05/31/10 10:17 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
I'm thinking this would be extremly difficult to adjust...It' not like being a mechanic were they are stationary (for the most part)and customers bringing a vehicle to them.. there are alot of questions to this type of pricing that need to be aswered...I dont like the thought of cheating the customer or myself

Joe Robidoux
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: swampdonkey] #2011819
05/31/10 10:48 AM
05/31/10 10:48 AM
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
C
Chad Kamolz Offline
trapper
Chad Kamolz  Offline
trapper
C

Redwood Falls, Minnesota
Originally Posted By: swampdonkey

Yes, their are alot of variables. But just like the per aniamal charge, your hourly rate could be ajusted. According to the situation, travel time, ect. You don't have to have a price that's set in stone. Each job can be quoted, by what needs to be done. That way theirs no set up fee, and no extra per animal fee. Chad

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Ron Scheller] #2012187
05/31/10 05:27 PM
05/31/10 05:27 PM
Mocksville, NC
N
nccoyote Offline
trapper
nccoyote  Offline
trapper
N

Mocksville, NC
Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
Originally Posted By: Vinke

Exactly. If I take my vehicle in for a slight transmission slip and the guy tells me it's going to cost $800 to fix it, I'm good with that.

If another guy tells me it might only need a filter and fluid change at $175, but might need some more parts, and it might need an entire tranny.... and I'll tell you the cost WHEN I'M DONE..... he's not working on my vehicle.

There is no "set pricing" on jobs.... each is priced according to problem, distance to site, possible exclusion work, etc. The customer is given a cost for the job, but it will seldom be the same for any two customers, even with the same animal.... all depends on the variables.

The key is excellent communication during the explanation of the service you will provide, as well as the desired result and/or the "best result possible" in the particular situation.

If you tell a customer it "may only cost $275" but it might be as much as $550, the only number in his head is the $275... every time. The customer hears what he "wants" to hear. I worked in the service department of a huge motorcycle shop for 20 years.... and only about 5% of the customers can come to grips with costs of major repairs. Same goes for wildlife control.

I would like to add..... why do I see so many who do bat work on a regular basis (which is never priced per animal) and obviously can price those jobs, but then can't figure out how to price animals other than bats? Try pretending your next coon job is a bat job.... maybe it will be easier to price it out?

Ncely said Ron, and I agree. I have tried it both ways and prefer to give a set price, or a price for set up and then per day of trapping. All exclusion is priced case by case. To each his own though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper