Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Rabies #2100312
08/12/10 11:22 AM
08/12/10 11:22 AM
Northern Vermont, USA
GregPaulman Offline OP
trapper
GregPaulman  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Vermont, USA
I know this will always be on ongoing issue for all trappers. To make things worse, most insurances won't pay for vacines and some will try to deny treatment if they think it is a "work related exposier" due to workers comp laws. But none of cover ourselves with workers comp on the trapline.

I've done a lot of work with the rabies Hotline in my state and here's a few tips.

1st: you do not have to be bitten to be exposed, any major nerve tissue or saliva fluid will carry it. It is possible to be exposed via airborn such as in the case of bat poop so watch that.

2nd: Although Rabies has a short life out of the body, it will remain active so long as there is any dampmess to saliva, etc. Think about how you handle things and what's left behind. Wear protective gloves and keep a bottle of bleech/water mix to spray over and wipe down your work area and equiptment.

Safety glasses and a mask is what you will be told to use by anyone with the health dept. It is also possible to be exposed by saliva or other splattering you in the face, I know of someone who was exposed via saliva shooken off an animal before skinning.

3rd: Keep in mind, "Exposier" does not mean that you actually got the virus on a mucus membrain (nose, eyes) or in your system. Exposier means just that, you were there and the virus was there.

4th: Secondary exposier to others, example, you're skinning your catch and your spouse or child comes out to watch. Something splatters and whoops! Or after skinning you take off your gloves and apron and go inside and you 2 year old comes running up and jumps into your arms but you unknowingly had undried saliva from an infected animal on your clothes!

There's lots more info and I'm sure people can add a lot. This became more important to me after the birth of my first grandson. And it's such an important topic because
THERE IS NO CURE FOR RABIES! So we have to take every precaution to protect outselves and other.

Here's a couple of tips. If you are exposed, DO NOT TELL YOUR DOCTOR OR ER YOU WERE OUT DOING ANIMAL CONTROL WORK!, if you want your insurance to cover it without a fight.

I wish we all could be vacinated (especially my grandson), but at over $1,000 when I looked into it a couple years ago, I was just waiting to get bit.

But recently I foound out that out local Visiting Nurse Assoc does the injections for free and the way they do it, 7 people can be vacinated from one set of vials. The vials must be used or tossed with in 5-6 hours of opening. My brother and I are going through the shots and with a group of 5 people it's costing $180 each.

This was done in coordination with out state trappers assoc. and state employees and anyone else who wishes to participate. Talk to your local clinics, assoc members, etc and get together as a group and protect yourself and your family. If you get exposed and don't know it, who else in your family could you infect?
REMEMBER, ONLY 1 PERSON IN THE LAST 40 YEARS OF DATA I FOUND SURVIVED!

Teach a kid to hunt, shoot, trap and fish.

American Bluing & Guns, LLC
americanbluing.com

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2103573
08/14/10 08:10 AM
08/14/10 08:10 AM
virginia
B
bobkat Offline
trapper
bobkat  Offline
trapper
B

virginia
Good for you all. Vacination is the smart thing. I have had shots twice and now have long term immunity.

Re: Rabies [Re: bobkat] #2104615
08/14/10 11:34 PM
08/14/10 11:34 PM
Iowa
C
coonhunter679 Offline
trapper
coonhunter679  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I get my radies vacination about 17 years ago. Early spring one year we had a skunk come out in the middle of the day. It was acting kind of strange dad shot it. Took it to local college to have it tested. It was positive for rabies. The vet told us to shot and collect any coons or skunk that are acting odd. So we did. We shot about ten. Had a horses killed three. All were positive for rabies. Went to the doctor for dad to get his booster update and for me to start shots. They wouldn't start mine because of all the rabies case we had. Then we told the doctors. The vet was worried that if any of the sheep got bit it could transfer to us. The Horse were already vacinated for rabies. Them my dad told them I trapped. Then all of the sudden it was no problem getting the shots. My insurance has paid for all of my shot thank god. One of those thinks an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The vet gave us some good advice about radies. If an animal isn't acting like they normal do their probably infected.

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2745138
09/24/11 08:17 AM
09/24/11 08:17 AM
Delaware, Ohio
W
weimwoman Offline
trapper
weimwoman  Offline
trapper
W

Delaware, Ohio
World Rabies Day is September 28th. www.worldrabiesday.org There are links to the Compendium on Rabies which pretty much has every single bit of information on rabies you never wanted to know. The videos of kids in third world countries dying of rabies are awful to watch.

I know someone who got bit by a rabid bat at work and their claim for rabies shots was DENIED because the shots are preventative, not a cure. What?!

Oftentimes you can get shots at veterinary conferences for $20 or some other nominal fee. For instance, the Midwest Veterinary Conference is in February in downtown Columbus, Ohio and they offer the shots. There's a conference in Ontario, Florida, Las Vegas(Western States Veterinary Conference), not sure about any other locations.

My rabies vaccination was about 12 years ago and my titer is still over the top.

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2745322
09/24/11 10:15 AM
09/24/11 10:15 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
They were like $300- $400 when I got mine years ago. I called my health insurance company and they did not want to pay at first. Then I discussed how much cheaper it was going to be than if I went to the hospital when I got bite or scratched by a potentially rabid animal. After a then telling the persons supervisor the same, they agreed to pay for them. I do need to get a titer test to check for acceptable levels of protection. Got my shots at the local County Health Department.

Last edited by ponyboy; 09/24/11 10:19 AM.
Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2753302
09/29/11 05:17 AM
09/29/11 05:17 AM
e. wakefield, new hampshire 03...
A
acts of the wolf Offline
trapper
acts of the wolf  Offline
trapper
A

e. wakefield, new hampshire 03...
I have Blue Cross federal employee basic package and they covered 80% last year. Just call and check with them it doesn't hurt.

If you have to crawl to live, stand and die.

MOLON LABE!
Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2907468
12/25/11 09:34 AM
12/25/11 09:34 AM
Eastern Shore, Md
C
choptank Offline
trapper
choptank  Offline
trapper
C

Eastern Shore, Md
Sorry, new here and probably should have posted in this forum. Hope it helps someone else......

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2903929

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2929540
01/05/12 06:17 PM
01/05/12 06:17 PM

C
canvasback
Unregistered
canvasback
Unregistered
C

"Wear protective gloves and keep a bottle of bleech/water mix to spray over and wipe down your work area and equiptment."

Why water down the Bleach ? Why not use it full strength ?

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2929627
01/05/12 07:19 PM
01/05/12 07:19 PM
wheeling w.v22yearsold
W
wes Offline
trapper
wes  Offline
trapper
W

wheeling w.v22yearsold
How can you tell if the animal is in the fist stages of rabis wat to look for and how might the animal act if it has rabies

peta. people,eating,tastey,animals
Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #2938928
01/10/12 04:39 PM
01/10/12 04:39 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I know that distemper and rabies at first looks the same , but from what I know of that rabies the animal is more agrestive then distemper, I know too many say that a animal had rabies and when they have distemper. This past fall there is distemper in the coon again and it comes around once in awhile . So I hope that everyone watch what they do before they think of what the animal has and think different . Yes it is best to have the animal tested . just my in put

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #6449380
02/03/19 12:30 AM
02/03/19 12:30 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
What animals can carry rabies...just coons and skunks and bats?

Re: Rabies [Re: GregPaulman] #7000934
09/26/20 01:02 PM
09/26/20 01:02 PM
Virginia
W
Walkerdawg Offline
trapper
Walkerdawg  Offline
trapper
W

Virginia
Any mammal, saw it in beaver, worked in Animal Control for 15 years. Mostly coon, skunks, and bats. Horses, cows etc can get it. Never saw or heard of rats, possums squirrel, muskrat getting it. Dogs and cats and humans of course can. Videos online of people with it, pretty gruesome stuff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread