Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Paul Dobbins] #219597
06/03/07 03:47 PM
06/03/07 03:47 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline OP
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline OP
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Do you lure makers have outside wash areas? What I mean this is an area outside where you wash your tools and utensils after mixing/working with lure? I do and boy do the local dogs and cats have a ball in that spot -lol. Gotta watch where I step there sometimes though.

Also, do you mean your "one who cracks the whip" doesn't make you have one "special" pair of shoes to be worn only in the lure shed. These shoes are never to touch the floors in the house, or vehicle. They have to remain outside. LOL - I do.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Paul Dobbins] #219649
06/03/07 05:17 PM
06/03/07 05:17 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
From a few instances i've observed over the years I would say one can also overlure bobcat sets. Many times I have advised trappers who complained about bobcats walking by their sets and cubbies to try using less lure and most have reported more positive results. Ace

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #219905
06/03/07 09:20 PM
06/03/07 09:20 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Nope I only have two pairs of shoes.The farm shoes are worn just about everywhere, house too on the trips back and forth. The others dont get much use.Limited dress up and church shoes.

I try to be careful but you know how that goes.She tries to keep me in line but I about have her worn out now from yelling over the years. LOL

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: frankb_ks] #220189
06/04/07 08:23 AM
06/04/07 08:23 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Another good post with some top notch trappers/lure makers giving advice...thanks guys!

Question for Asa...you've been asked this before I know but put up with me again..after catching a skunk...there is a tremendous amount of smell. How come coyote/fox don't seem to shy away but are actually attracted to this spot...I can catch a few afterwards?

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: MChewk] #220214
06/04/07 08:41 AM
06/04/07 08:41 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Mike: Skunk probably isn't one of those ingredients that can possibly put a canine into the wary mode. Skunk is so natural in a canines everyday life and its not unusual to smell where skunks sprayed for a variety of reasons. However, skunk musk used alone would not be the perfect lure as it is so common place that canines might not work the set, just come near for a look and move onward. Skunk musk makes a good call to get them in close enough to a set for a multi-compounded lure to take over and guarantee a set working most of the time. It is these multi-ingredient lures that might be deemed unnatural in loud amounts with the odor emitting from a little hole combined with excessive human odor. Just as an example, a dab of asafoedita gum at a set might evoke curiosity but a whole pound might be overwhelming and it might get analyzed from back aways from the set with the animal moving onward without coming in closer. Ace

Last edited by Asa Lenon; 06/04/07 08:42 AM.
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #220234
06/04/07 09:01 AM
06/04/07 09:01 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks Asa...good insight...makes sense.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: MChewk] #220255
06/04/07 09:37 AM
06/04/07 09:37 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
This subject also reminds me that I favor lures with a reasonable amount of skunk musk in thier formulation whether it is in July or January. I used my Coyote and Fox Super Range All Call lures which contain skunk musk during the hot Summer months for 25 years during Michigan's bounty era. In my opinion, the addition of subtle skunk odor makes the whole set scenario seem more natural and works as a natural suspicion remover. One has to use reason when formulating lures with skunk musk or it will simply overpower all of the other fine working ingredients contained in the lure. If one is going to tip the skunk musk bottle and pour it to a lure then there is no sense in bothering to add such ingredients as asafoedita, castor, muskrat musk, tonquin, ambrette, valerian, muscaro, civet, etc., all one will end up with is a skunk gland lure in a base smell that has been obliterated by excessive skunk musk. From my testing and experience, it is all of those underlying multi-ingredient odors working together that ensure the best positive results. The skunk addition simply offers a longer call and suspicion removing quality to a good formula. Ace

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #220425
06/04/07 01:39 PM
06/04/07 01:39 PM
Farmerville, La
O
offshoretrash Offline
trapper
offshoretrash  Offline
trapper
O

Farmerville, La
thanks Asa for all the info!!!!!