Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Walnut trees #2613661
06/15/11 10:05 PM
06/15/11 10:05 PM
Rural Valley,Pa
stickbowhunter Offline OP
trapper
stickbowhunter  Offline OP
trapper

Rural Valley,Pa
I know they give my garden fits[well the tomatoes anyway]. You can't have tomatos near walnut trees. Just wont work. Now , I have a question. Can the roots of the walnuts kill off my golden seal too? I had an area just the other side of the walnut trees and it was going good for years. The last few it started to go down hill along about the same time the tomatoes would no longer tolerate the intrusion of the walnuts. Does anybody Know if thats why my patch that looked like a lawn now is about 20%.....

Last edited by stickbowhunter; 06/15/11 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

The Size of your Success can be Measured by the Strength of your Desire !!!

Danger is REAL but FEAR is a Choice !!!
Re: Walnut trees [Re: stickbowhunter] #2613839
06/16/11 01:56 AM
06/16/11 01:56 AM
Holland, MI
Senpu13 Offline
trapper
Senpu13  Offline
trapper

Holland, MI
Most likely that is why your plants are dying. Walnuts are allelopathic, which means their roots produce chemicals that inhibit the growth of any other plant. It is a really cool competition method, but is horrible for plant you want to grow.

Cheers,
Ryan

Re: Walnut trees [Re: stickbowhunter] #2614063
06/16/11 11:14 AM
06/16/11 11:14 AM
Rural Valley,Pa
stickbowhunter Offline OP
trapper
stickbowhunter  Offline OP
trapper

Rural Valley,Pa
anybody have any experence or tips for planting seal? Got some time to fall plantings and want to get soil as ready as I can for a good crop. What about mixing in sand to the soil ? Roto till or just sort of for lack of better terms, insert into my plots?

The Size of your Success can be Measured by the Strength of your Desire !!!

Danger is REAL but FEAR is a Choice !!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread