Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658306
07/24/11 07:13 PM
07/24/11 07:13 PM
N. Wisconsin
K
Kelly Offline
trapper
Kelly  Offline
trapper
K

N. Wisconsin
Don't know what is going on then on my end as I can go to any other site with no problems. Even did a Google serch for his website and tried the links from there and everyone says, Internet Explorer can not display that page.

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658314
07/24/11 07:19 PM
07/24/11 07:19 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Online happy
trapper
GritGuy  Online Happy
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
It's working can't tell you why it's not from your side though. I've been getting orders for over two weeks now from various places and all of them are off the net.
------------------
vikesbull. if I hire some one then the price moves up, which then makes them almost impossible to sell. Trappers are notoriously tight with their dollars and with the economy how it is today it's even tighter, so patience is the key to still getting the product at a cost most can afford.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658372
07/24/11 07:58 PM
07/24/11 07:58 PM
Central Iowa
VikesBull Offline
trapper
VikesBull  Offline
trapper

Central Iowa
Kelly what browser are you using. IE 8 works for me to get to grits site.

Grit tell me a bit more on solar option/cost. Are you saying I can leave up in a tree and as long as sun hits it then it will recharge? I would buy if it can work in cold weather ( -20 - +10) and wind.

Last edited by vikesbull; 07/24/11 08:00 PM.

5. Oppose unscientific and inappropriate legislation pertaining to the management of furbearing animals.
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658419
07/24/11 08:27 PM
07/24/11 08:27 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Online happy
trapper
GritGuy  Online Happy
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
At the risk of getting my rear chapped for digressing this thread I'll fill you in Vikes !!

If you go to Gander Mt. or Cabelas they sell solar panels for feeders. Now these coupled with four Nickel Metal Hydrate battery's will run your unit indefinitely out in the field as long as the sun has 6 hours on the panel. You won't need to buy battery's agian.

All you need is extra long wires to hook up the panel, it's a very simple deal to do. The only bad thing is that if a thief comes along they take the whole deal with them and your out some cash for the whole set up.

This is why I don't recommend the solar set up unless you either have a very large area and rough to get to or are on very secure private ground.

When I tested this idea out here in my area to get another cold weather power source going as I knew the battery's would fail sooner or later, you can only insulate them so much.
I set one of my units up in a secluded place in November and came back every month until April to check for sign, no sets here was just checking travel to the unit. I had literally trails wore into the area from different directions and the unit was still working fine.
All kinds of animals were moving thur the area where none were when I set the unit up.

Now I know all of this sounds like sells pitches but honestly I respect Paul's advertising rules and try to go out my way to only answer questions that people bring here about them. And in doing so yea I get some sells, but I'm only trying to answer yours and others questions about the units. I'm not trying to advertise for sells here on this thread !

Tom

[Linked Image]

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658556
07/24/11 09:40 PM
07/24/11 09:40 PM
Colorado
Chris Miller Offline
trapper
Chris Miller  Offline
trapper

Colorado
I don't feel at all qualified to reply to this thread, but give this one a shot... and tell me what you think.

[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] at the door to your cage. That's right...human urine right there at the entrance. I did a little testing and when I [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] at the door of the cage, I caught animals. Sounds crazy I know, but I try off the wall stuff in calling and now in trapping. When a guy tells me human scent is bad, I immediately call BS and try it out.

It's worked for me...... try it and tell me what you find.

PredatorTalk - Nothing but predator hunting & trapping.
http://www.predatortalk.com
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: VikesBull] #2658593
07/24/11 09:59 PM
07/24/11 09:59 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Bob Small Offline OP
trapper
Bob Small  Offline OP
trapper

Phoenix, Arizona
Vikesbull, I have tried hiring someone, and it's hardly worth it. There's not a lot of money in producing Cages, you figure your time, materials, and overhead, it's hard. I got a new wire bender and some pneumatic tools for the clips and that helps. Bending the wire used to take a couple of minutes, now I can bend a cage in less than a minute. The clips used to take over 15 minutes, now I can put them on in less than 10 minutes. Where I build my cages don't have any cooling or A/C, it was 105 today, helpers don't want to work in that heat. I'm working on getting a cooler place to build the Cages but that takes money too. Thanks for your post!! Bob

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Chris Miller] #2658597
07/24/11 10:03 PM
07/24/11 10:03 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Bob Small Offline OP
trapper
Bob Small  Offline OP
trapper

Phoenix, Arizona
Criss, It's hard to understand what your saying, could you edit your post? Thanks!! Bob

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658633
07/24/11 10:28 PM
07/24/11 10:28 PM
Central Iowa
VikesBull Offline
trapper
VikesBull  Offline
trapper

Central Iowa
Are you cage guys using visual attractor to get to the cage area, and then inside the cage as well? I don't see alot of difference between normal traps and cages with cats except the final commitment. If I feel I am on target I only use a small flag at the set, probably similar to what you would do inside a cage. If I feel I may be off I will use another near the set that can be seen form 2-3 possible directions the cat may come from to bring them in closer for the lure/bait/attractor to take over.

5. Oppose unscientific and inappropriate legislation pertaining to the management of furbearing animals.
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: VikesBull] #2658664
07/24/11 11:09 PM
07/24/11 11:09 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Bob Small Offline OP
trapper
Bob Small  Offline OP
trapper

Phoenix, Arizona
Vicksbull, I have better success, if I try to get the Cat excited, like scratching under a table when a domestic cat appears. (sound) I think the more things you have to excite the Cat the less refusals you will have. The feathers outside the cage, going in the entrance and a small pile in the back, does wonders. The feathers can be seen from a distance especially for a 20' radius in front of the Cage. When you get a bobcat standing in front of the Cage, I think that's the most critical time. A vermin jumping up and down would be great, a good dangler moving in a slight wind good, live eyes help, that shows life. I used to use live plastic eyes 30 years ago in the back of Cubbies with a foothold in front. One eye on a piece of fake fur covered with leaves or grass. The Bobcat sees that, and it looks like something alive hiding or at least fresh. Bobcats are very curious and they get closer to investigate. If they loose interest, your in trouble, you need to keep them going into the Cage. A smell like beaver castor you don't forget, neither does a Cat, and there doesn't have to be beavers around. Sorry I'm going on Smells and I'm still on Sight. When a Bobcat is standing right in front of your Cage then the Smells take over. A Bobcat's nose is better than most people think? I hope this is helping, this is my experience, Thanks!! Bob

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658669
07/24/11 11:20 PM
07/24/11 11:20 PM
Arizona
H
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper
Hyperwrx  Offline
trapper
H

Arizona
Chris- While I would not make a habit of pissing by my set I was scouting new area and was walking down a wash. I stopped and peed on a bush and then decided the area funneled down nicely and a trail cam would do well there. 1 week later I had a pictures of a bobcat and 2 different foxes sniffing the bush I peed on.

I still would not pee on my own sets on purpose.

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx] #2658699
07/25/11 12:44 AM
07/25/11 12:44 AM
Loveland, CO
D
DSmith Offline
trapper
DSmith  Offline
trapper
D

Loveland, CO
Hyperwrx,

I've heard similar stories from my bowhunting buddies who whizzed off their tree stands because they were too lazy to climb down to take a leak, or they knocked their urine bottle over by mistake, or some such. In any case, they deposited human urine at the base of their tree stands only to find it attracted deer rather than frightened them.

At first this seems contrary to everything we've been taught about peeing in the woods, but if you consider that almost all animals investigate the scent posts of all other animals, then it makes perfect sense. Humans are animals, after all, so why wouldn't a deer, cat or coyote investigate their urine smell? And how could they know it was human if they didn't smell it in the first place?? I suspect that most animals are genetically driven to pee where another animal has peed, regardless of species. They can't help themselves; it's in their DNA.

I knew a guy who said he took his dog with him whenever he was scouting new coyote trapping territory because the dog would invariably lift his leg on every bush, twig or rock where another animal had marked it's territory. The guy figured it was probably a pretty good place to make a scent-post set or a flat set, and he was usually right.

Wasn't there was a video on the Briarpatch website a while back that showed a cougar rolling and rubbing itself all over some kind of community scent post that had been used by every fox, cat and coyote in the county? It was a large flat rock discovered by a wildlife biologist who set a trail cam there and supposedly recorded a number of different animals using the post over a long period time. The point being - urine, regardless of origin - is a powerful animal attractant. So maybe taking a whiz at your trap site isn't as harmful as we've been led to believe; it might even help you catch a critter. Who knows?

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658711
07/25/11 01:32 AM
07/25/11 01:32 AM
utah
G
george Offline
trapper
george  Offline
trapper
G

utah
Here's my question about smells I can't count the number of times I have heard make sure you don't over scent the cats. They will come to the set and get enough smell and leave before they actually work the set.but like many other trappers that were introduced into trapping by there family, we have a family "secret scent". Are stuff is powerful. But it works. What is your guys thoughts on strong _lures compared to a more mild lure or baits for cage use. Also I agree being on location is king, but when the cats in front of the cage what do you guys think.

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george] #2658819
07/25/11 08:25 AM
07/25/11 08:25 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Bob Small Offline OP
trapper
Bob Small  Offline OP
trapper

Phoenix, Arizona
George! OK we will start on SMELLS!! I started making lure back in the eighty's, the more powerful lures, I called Call Lures, I have two. When I used these lures at foothold sets, past the trap, the Bobcats would roll. This often would spring the traps, and sometimes you would find fur in the jaws. I found by putting the lure 6' up in a bush or tree, the wind currents would carry the SMELL out further and bring Cats in from longer distances. The call lure couldn't be used close to the set. That's one of the advantages with Cages, you don't care if the Cat rolls or not, he's in the Cage, so stronger lures can be used. If a lure is too strong and a Bobcat can smell it as strong as he wants, he has no reason to go fully into the Cage. You want a lure a Bobcat will put his nose up against, strong but not too strong. Mel Hershberger used to say "You can't put too much Beaver Castor in a lure for Bobcats", some guys use just that. Thanks!! Bob

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658844
07/25/11 09:00 AM
07/25/11 09:00 AM
utah
G
george Offline
trapper
george  Offline
trapper
G

utah
Hey Bob thanks for the pm about getting sounds from the back of the cage without the use of audio equipment, great idea man. Can't wait to try it.

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george] #2658869
07/25/11 09:29 AM
07/25/11 09:29 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Bob Small Offline OP
trapper
Bob Small  Offline OP
trapper

Phoenix, Arizona
George, Thanks for posting about the sounds from the back of Cages! I was told to Put Up or Shut Up and I Put UP. There are many ways to Get Bobcats to Commit to Cages. I would hope more would post, I have been getting a lot of PM's from people telling me they don't know enough about Cages to post. Ask questions that's how we all learn, if I don't know the answer, I'm sure someone out there does! Thanks!! Bob

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658954
07/25/11 11:13 AM
07/25/11 11:13 AM
Idaho
Wildkaat Offline
trapper
Wildkaat  Offline
trapper

Idaho
If I am using a squeaker and set my cages on the travel routes I think the cats will use to approach the area are the cats going to be so interested in the sound that they ignore the smells used in the cages?

RAM
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658978
07/25/11 11:36 AM
07/25/11 11:36 AM
Nebraska
C
cagemaker Offline
trapper
cagemaker  Offline
trapper
C

Nebraska
Say Bob don't tell these two that there's no pan tension adjustment. LOL

Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2658983
07/25/11 11:42 AM
07/25/11 11:42 AM
CA
J
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper
Jeff Yancy  Offline
trapper
J

CA
Wildkaat, I rely exclusively on smell at my sets and have the same thought as you with the sound. I dont feel totally comfortable using a loud sound at my sets even though it may not hinder the cat. I guess Grit Guy would be the person to ask since he has the most experience with the sqeakers.
My thoughts are that a cat normally uses his sense of smell first and foremost then sight and then sound.
I do use faux fur critters in my cages, but with the use of trail cams at several cat catch locations, I was shocked at how little interest the cat was in the site attractant. I have also used multi colored reflective tape in the past and did notice an increase in catches but also noticed an increase in human visits at my sets and an increase in theft.
So I guess we go on to smell. Lets hear all your thoughts on smells at Bobcat sets. I really think we can expand this topic from cages exclusively to include legholds also. One would be surprised how many cats will also not commit using legholds until you set up a few trailcams and see for yourself.
Come on Gene, Otie, Todd, forget the Biscuits and lets hear your thoughts. I know you guys have a few tricks and thoughts on smells.

Last edited by Jeff Yancy; 07/25/11 11:47 AM.

Who is Otis Latham?
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2659055
07/25/11 12:56 PM
07/25/11 12:56 PM
Colorado
S
sixbits Offline
trapper
sixbits  Offline
trapper
S

Colorado
I agree with all of you on every thing.All of this stuff must work.
I saw a man that all of us know throw a shingle that was 2" around on the ground.
He asked how many of those did we think would fit in a square mile? I dont know but the number would be very large.
He said he would see that the cat would step on the one he put down!
I want to say thanks to three guys from NV.for going out of their way and giving me that thought.
Do I use lure? yes,does it bring cats in ???
I am of the opinion that you would be better off thinking about where the cat is going to walk.I dont care what kind of trap you use ,what kind of snare,or any other means of capture ,even the camera.Would it not be easier to set up where your prey is going to walk?
Sorry Bob,I said I wouldnt post on this, but Jeff asked me and that is the best I can offer.
Thanks Gene

Last edited by sixbits; 07/25/11 01:12 PM.
Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small] #2659095
07/25/11 01:54 PM
07/25/11 01:54 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Online happy
trapper
GritGuy  Online Happy
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
The one thing about cats that's inherent in all of them is their desire to satisfy their curiosity. It's the only thing one can be consistent with while going after them.

Yes they smell, yes they hear, yes they see, but they will walk on all of them if they cannot satisfy what they find. If they become frustrated they will not commit to a cage, they need to be rewarded so to speak, sight, smell or find the sound.

One must be able to use these to that advantage to harvest them. You bring them to your set you have to convince them to investigate it.

Having a sight attractant or a smell at your set while using a sound attractant provides this reward, it drops the caution flag so to speak, eases the frustration level in other words.

So the bottom line is using all does not mean your going to chase them away. However sound has been known to be sometimes over powering when used with cages in close proximity,i.e., inside or right on top.

If one has no where else to place the sound they should try to subdue it to not shy the cat away from the set. Not all cats will be bothered, however my testimonials from others force me to believe that enough are that one should use a lower volume when enticing cats to your sets.

Once there they can then take advantage of your regular lures, scents or sight attractants to keep the occupied on your set.

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  tmrschessie, ~ADC~