Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Possum Bake-MAMA Leila's Hand Me Down Recipe #2829182
11/14/11 04:19 AM
11/14/11 04:19 AM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline OP
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline OP
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
MAMA LEILA'S HAND - ME - DOWN OVEN -
BAKED POSSUM
After you kill the possum be careful not to let him get away. While you're talking and planning how you going to eat him, he's going to be slipping right from under your nose. All he was doing was playing possum. Skin him and clean him before you go another foot, then the mess is gone and he won't get away. When you get him home, rub salt and pepper all over his body then run a mixture of vinegar and brown sugar over the salt and pepper. Wrap up the possum in a good baking pan and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, put the pan with the possum still in it (hopefully) on top of stove. Add 2 or 3 spoons of bacon fat and sear him on all sides. Then add chopped onion (2 of them). Put in the oven and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Pull him out and roll him over, and now you can add your sweet potatoes (just surround him with 'em). Put back in the oven and bake for another 1 1/2 hours or until he is tender and juicy.

"Possum is tender and milk regardless of what other people think, " Mama Leila say, "but you've got to watch 'em cause they'll slip away." laugh

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: Possum Bake-MAMA Leila's Hand Me Down Recipe [Re: RiversNorth13] #3791548
05/06/13 10:31 PM
05/06/13 10:31 PM
Wisconsin
jooleyen Offline
trapper
jooleyen  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Mmm. sounds pretty darn good. I need to choose a recipe for my first possum. He's waiting in the freezer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread