Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 133 of 191 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 190 191
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2885341
12/14/11 03:33 AM
12/14/11 03:33 AM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Thanks for the advice guys. I had it in the shop tonight, but found out it need new slides along with the windshield. I'll try the zip tie thing next go round.

Nice cat Jeff!

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2885353
12/14/11 05:33 AM
12/14/11 05:33 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Ya the only thing worse than snow is nothing but ice. Which is what I am going back to Homer to. Hoping for some snow soon. Anxious to get started.
It is a pretty nasty Dec for sure Jeff. Cool picture.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2885553
12/14/11 10:11 AM
12/14/11 10:11 AM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
We just need it to get cold. While I like trapping when it is warmer, being just below freezing every day plays havoc with all the overlfow everywhere and spots of open ice. Need things to freeze!

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: Top Jimmy] #2885643
12/14/11 11:29 AM
12/14/11 11:29 AM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
It is awfully warm down here as well. Temps near 40 and steady SE winds.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2885738
12/14/11 12:54 PM
12/14/11 12:54 PM
Kenai, Alaska
V
Vance in AK Offline
trapper
Vance in AK  Offline
trapper
V

Kenai, Alaska
Starting to snow lightly this morning here in Kenai FT. Calling for 2.5" a day for 2 days then 1" a day for 3. It will help! Probably mostly rain down you way though frown

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2885744
12/14/11 12:59 PM
12/14/11 12:59 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline OP

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline OP

W

McGrath, AK
Zero and getting marginally better here this morning

Mean As Nails
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: mad_mike] #2885915
12/14/11 03:20 PM
12/14/11 03:20 PM
Petersburg, AK
C
cweg94 Offline
trapper
cweg94  Offline
trapper
C

Petersburg, AK
Originally Posted By: mad_mike
It is awfully warm down here as well. Temps near 40 and steady SE winds.

i still had to defrost my truck this morning i'm hoping the cold weather holds so i can go chase some beaver.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2887255
12/15/11 02:27 AM
12/15/11 02:27 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Here's one of the locals. Been hearing about this girl for three years, seen some pictures, but saw her myself yesterday. Wishing I would have had my better camera with me.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2887260
12/15/11 02:33 AM
12/15/11 02:33 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Awsome pic St cow season is open here smile

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2887262
12/15/11 02:35 AM
12/15/11 02:35 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
That would be quite a trophy with a 60" headset

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2887341
12/15/11 06:03 AM
12/15/11 06:03 AM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Fur is green! Found this on the main forum. Good stuff.

http://www.furisgreen.com/fur_is_green_media_coverage.aspx

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: Aknative] #2887847
12/15/11 01:48 PM
12/15/11 01:48 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Aknative
Fur is green! Found this on the main forum. Good stuff.

http://www.furisgreen.com/fur_is_green_media_coverage.aspx

Allan Herscovici has a great book he wrote way back. It is called "Second Nature: The Animal-Rights Controversy"

He is a great guy and speaks with an open mind when it comes to fur . He has been an advocate of the fur resource for many years.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2888124
12/15/11 04:25 PM
12/15/11 04:25 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
Article in the DNM on the fur handling class put on by ATA and Alaska Raw Fur.

-TJ

Fur Handling Class

FAIRBANKS — Crowded into a small room with dried wolf, lynx and fox skins hanging behind them, a dozen trappers sat in a semi-circle of folding chairs watching Marty Middelstadt operate.

They looked on intently as Middlestadt, wearing a long, black, leather apron, blue surgical gloves and glasses, made his first incision.

The patient, in this case, was a dead marten hanging by one back foot from a rope attached to a hook in the ceiling.

“For the fur market, they don’t buy feet, so you start with the ankle and come up the side of the leg,” Middelstadt said as he gently cut around the ankle with a small paring knife and then began making a cut down the marten’s leg. “I like to have something really sharp so you don’t have to push very hard and end up cutting holes (in the fur).”

That was a line that Middelstadt repeated several times during a fur-handling workshop sponsored by the Alaska Trappers Association on Saturday at Arctic Raw Fur Co.

The all-day clinic was designed to teach trappers how to handle fur from the time it is taken from a trap until it is presented to a buyer. Middelstadt, who has been trapping and skinning animals for 40 years, along with Bill Wivoda, owner of Arctic Raw Fur Co., served as instructors for the seven-hour workshop.

Middelstadt and Wivoda first told the class to treat the animals they trap or hunt with respect and to use as much of an animal as possible.

“If you’re going to kill something, treat it correctly and don’t waste it,” Wivoda said.

From there, Middelstadt and Wivoda went on to teach trappers the finer points of skinning, fleshing, stretching and drying the hides of beaver, marten, fox, lynx and wolves.

Trappers learned the proper ways to split and turn the lips and ears on a wolf, skin the feet of a wolf and lynx, and remove the tail of a marten without pulling it off, among other things.

Professional advice

Imagine Michael Jordan teaching you how to dunk a basketball. Or Wayne Gretzky showing you to put the puck in the net.

That’s what it was like for the trappers who gathered in Wivoda’s small shop on D Street for Saturday’s workshop.

Between them, Middelstadt and Wivoda have a combined 60 years in the fur business, both as trappers, buyers and skinners.

“These guys are the pros,” Dan Nelson, a recreational trapper from Fairbanks, said.

The 35-year-old Nelson, who has trapped for six years, attended Saturday’s workshop hoping to pick up some pointers, specifically about marten.

“I didn’t know a hill of beans about marten, and I’m going to do some marten trapping this year, so it was good timing,” he said.

While he has attended both the ATA’s wolf trapping and general trapping schools, Nelson said, those workshops focused more on catching animals than skinning them.

“I think I know the basics, but it’s nice to hear it from guys who have been doing it their whole life,” he said.

Shannon Epps, another recreational trapper at the clinic, said the same thing.

“I want to learn how to do stuff the correct way,” he said. “These guys are showing you the correct way to do it.”

Epps, 44, was interested in the tools Middelstadt and Wivoda use to flesh and stretch hides, as well as how to skin a wolf so he’ll be ready when he catches his first one.

Saturday’s workshop marked the first time the ATA has put on a fur-handling clinic for the public. Randy Zarnke, who helped organize the workshop, said it was the result of a one-hour presentation that Middelstadt and Wivoda put on during an ATA meeting last year.

“We got good feedback so we sensed there would be interest,” Zarnke said.

The cost of the workshop was $75, but Zarnke said those who attended will recoup that with the tricks they learned.

Neither Middelstadt or Wivoda worried about sharing the secrets they’ve learned during 40 years of trapping and skinning.

“I hope to pass on what I’ve learned to people who want to learn it, so they can take care of the animals they hunt or trap,” Middelstadt said. “I think people are hungry to learn how to do it. There’s not much out there as far as books or videos.”

Presentation is key

The first half of Saturday’s workshop focused on beaver and marten, the latter of which is “the bread and butter of trapping in Alaska,” Wivoda said.

“Our marten are the best in the world,” he said, holding a shiny, reddish-brown marten hide.

Wivoda went over the three different size classes of marten hides, which are based on a measurement taken from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail when stretched on a board. The biggest skins, those measuring 23 1/2 inches and up, are worth $85, he said. Pelts that measure 21 1/2 to 23 inches pay $60 and skins 19 1/2 inches to 21 inches are worth $40.

“You see the incentive for staying in that extra, extra large group,” Wivoda said, referring to a list of sizes he written on a white board. “Size is everything with a marten.”

That’s why it’s critical when skinning a marten to leave as much hair on the back as possible, Wivoda said.

“A half-inch might be a $20 bill,” Wivoda said.

Middelstadt demonstrated the proper way to stretch, flesh and pin a marten hide on a stretching board. After getting the skin centered on the board, Middelstadt ran his fingers tightly down the board.

“We’re not trying to stretch it into a bigger size,” Middelstadt said. “We’re trying to get it taut so it will dry.

“Tight is what makes it dry faster,” he said.

Drying marten on a wider stretching board also makes them look bigger and fluffier, Wivoda said.

“Presentation is everything when you try to sell them,” he said.

Damage control

While most of the workshop focused on actual fur handling, Middelstadt and Wivoda also provided some tips on things trappers can do in the field to prevent damage and save time.

For example, they said to use dry, not green, spruce poles for marten sets to prevent sticky sap from getting into a marten’s fur, which then must be cleaned.

Marten pole sets should be high enough to keep dead marten off the ground after they are caught, they said.

“The closer they get to the ground, the better chance there is for a squirrel or mouse to come along and tear up the fur,” Wivoda said.

Frozen marten can be wrapped individually in old sleeping bags so they don’t get damaged by traps, axes or other marten bouncing in a sled or trapping box behind a snowmachine.

“A frozen marten has got sharp claws,” Wivoda said. “Those claws can tear little pieces of fur out when they get bouncing around.”

Thawing frozen animals too close to a heat source will cause the hair to “slip,” or fall out.

“It’s better to let them thaw slowly for 24 hours at 45 or 50 degrees than to put it in front of some heat source at 90 degrees and try to thaw it in two hours,” Middelstadt said.

Wivoda held up a marten skin and showed how he could pull hair out where it thawed too quickly next to a heater.

“That’s a damaged skin,” Wivoda said. “A damaged skin is worth approximately half of what an undamaged skin is. That’s one of the reasons we’re holding this class. So we can prevent this kind of stuff.”

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2889274
12/16/11 12:30 AM
12/16/11 12:30 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
TJ; That is fantastic! Kudos to those guys for donating thier time, and you for relaying it!

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2889453
12/16/11 02:27 AM
12/16/11 02:27 AM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Here's one of the bigger fox I've caught this year. I had to weigh it as it just "looked big". 18 pounder. I had one that went 21 pounds a few years ago. This one definitely fit into Len's vulpes vulpigalus...or whatever smile

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2889480
12/16/11 03:38 AM
12/16/11 03:38 AM
Alaska
akpawpincher Offline
trapper
akpawpincher  Offline
trapper

Alaska
Pretty fox!

Finally done with finals! Something is gonna die this weekend!

Trapping and predator hunting since 1984: "So that others may live."
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: white17] #2890806
12/16/11 08:30 PM
12/16/11 08:30 PM

C
canvasback
Unregistered
canvasback
Unregistered
C

white17:

Looks like there is snowmobile tracks on the Kuskokwim River in that photo of the river by the parking lot. Has the ice gotten that thick on the river so soon ?

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: Kusko] #2890817
12/16/11 08:32 PM
12/16/11 08:32 PM

C
canvasback
Unregistered
canvasback
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: Kusko
Here's one of the bigger fox I've caught this year. I had to weigh it as it just "looked big". 18 pounder. I had one that went 21 pounds a few years ago. This one definitely fit into Len's vulpes vulpigalus...or whatever smile

Kusko: Great looking Red Fox ! How many would it take to make a pair of fur gauntlets ?

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: ] #2890838
12/16/11 08:38 PM
12/16/11 08:38 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline OP

white17  Offline OP

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: canvasback
white17:

Looks like there is snowmobile tracks on the Kuskokwim River in that photo of the river by the parking lot. Has the ice gotten that thick on the river so soon ?

It is in some spots. On the other hand, a lot of people don't have much sense

Mean As Nails
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #5 [Re: ] #2890840
12/16/11 08:40 PM
12/16/11 08:40 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Looks like a nice cherry red you got there Kusko. Bet at weighing 18 pounds you will use a bit of sawdust on the fat on that one. smile

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Page 133 of 191 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 190 191
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman