ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I'm finally learning! (Price structure) #3082582
03/20/12 01:44 AM
03/20/12 01:44 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
A thoughtful review of my own pricing structure brought to light a possable unfairness to my customers so I have now decided to change things up yet again.
I was charging:
$125 service call
$125 set up and 5 days trapping
$50 per animal.

With all the talk about per animal charges, I had overlooked the fact that it was unfair to put a time limit on catching the offending critter. If I did not perform, the customer would be stuck paying more for my failure. The per animal pricing, I feel, is not really a problem as I do not want to get stuck burning fuel on daily trap checks forever without some type of compensation for it. Also considering higher overhead, I have come up with the following that I now feel is fair to the customer as well as myself. This way, if I don't perform, it's my problem, not theirs.

$100 service call
$300 set up and trapping as long as needed or until customer says stop
$60 per animal

Last edited by Budfish; 03/20/12 01:54 AM.
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082722
03/20/12 07:35 AM
03/20/12 07:35 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
So for $300 you will trap all summer in one location and drive to check those traps even when you know yourself that they are not there anylonger?
May want to have some sort of cap on the time frame even if it is something along the lines of-
$300 set up and trapping as long as the animals are still active.
Just my .02 because sooner or later someone try and make you do just what I said, trap forever with no more $ given... This will give you an out at some point.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082727
03/20/12 07:43 AM
03/20/12 07:43 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
I figured I would just determine that myself, but you do bring up a good point. I will put more thought into this before I go with it. I would probably need something to end it besides just me saying there is no animal to catch. Thanks for your input.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082740
03/20/12 08:01 AM
03/20/12 08:01 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
I always put a time limit. You never know when the offending animal decides to play in traffic. If I go over the time limit. I can extend it at no charge at my disgression. I am fair with the customer but a time limit keeps me in control.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082744
03/20/12 08:05 AM
03/20/12 08:05 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
The money is in doing the exclusion work , anybody can buy a cage trap and trap out the animals with it , try to offer something they can't do you them self. If yur just trapping every single stray animal in the neighbor hood your helping other people for free . I trap the min of animals i need to solve the problem then fix the house so animal can't return . The customers then tell there friends how there problem has finally been solved . I can't see any full time company surviving these hard times without doing exclusions , about every body has a neighbor with a trap

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Peskycritter] #3082857
03/20/12 10:04 AM
03/20/12 10:04 AM
Wisconsin
Blackdog Offline
trapper
Blackdog  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
The money is in doing the exclusion work

X2

Just ask your mommy...
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082909
03/20/12 11:06 AM
03/20/12 11:06 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
sometimes i deal with quill-pigs and they are such random travelers. it might take 2 weeks for the rodent to come back to a house and start chewing on a different side of it. when i trap these.. its a waiting game for them. ive waited 2 weeks for the big pigs to come back.. i funnel them into traps around these big houses. exclusion would be a very tough choice on some of these large cottages. so i always charge a daily visit and keep the customer informed on what its costing. and that it might take some time to finally catch this beast. but i always do!

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Peskycritter] #3082910
03/20/12 11:07 AM
03/20/12 11:07 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
The money is in doing the exclusion work , anybody can buy a cage trap and trap out the animals with it , try to offer something they can't do you them self. If yur just trapping every single stray animal in the neighbor hood your helping other people for free . I trap the min of animals i need to solve the problem then fix the house so animal can't return . The customers then tell there friends how there problem has finally been solved . I can't see any full time company surviving these hard times without doing exclusions , about every body has a neighbor with a trap

very few of them know what to do once they get a skunk in a trap. thats when they call me to pick it up and pay me for it.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: wiggler] #3082918
03/20/12 11:14 AM
03/20/12 11:14 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: wiggler
sometimes i deal with quill-pigs and they are such random travelers. it might take 2 weeks for the rodent to come back to a house and start chewing on a different side of it. when i trap these.. its a waiting game for them. ive waited 2 weeks for the big pigs to come back.. i funnel them into traps around these big houses. exclusion would be a very tough choice on some of these large cottages. so i always charge a daily visit and keep the customer informed on what its costing. and that it might take some time to finally catch this beast. but i always do!
How come they don't live in southern mi

Free Trapper
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082925
03/20/12 11:21 AM
03/20/12 11:21 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
their scared to come down in your part of the state... eek

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3082930
03/20/12 11:27 AM
03/20/12 11:27 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
The money is in doing the exclusion work...

While there certainly is plenty of money in exclusion and repair there is still plenty of money in trapping. Ask any mole or beaver trapper. wink

Heck, I make pretty good money on trapping skunks.

Quote:
very few of them know what to do once they get a skunk in a trap.

Ain't that the truth.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083123
03/20/12 01:19 PM
03/20/12 01:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
While it's true that the money is in the exclusions, the fun is in the wildlife. I am all about fun! Take yesterday for example. A big Canadian gander fluffed up his wings and made a running start AT ME. I then commenced to fluff up my scrawny little wings and ran at him. I'll bet he's still telling his goose buddies about this lunatic that almost ran him over.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083260
03/20/12 02:57 PM
03/20/12 02:57 PM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
I understand the exclusion is a major part of solving the problem, but that is not what this thread is about. Exclusion is bid per job. My concerns here are my trapping fees and being fair to my customer and myself.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083328
03/20/12 03:56 PM
03/20/12 03:56 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you just keep traps out catching all the animals your just hurting yours in the long run . You have to leave seed

Free Trapper
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083618
03/20/12 07:41 PM
03/20/12 07:41 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

You have the right mindset, if you are thinking about being fair and consistent to your customers. The per animal fee will help ensure that you are a good trapper and perform. The customer will feel good about paying for performance.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083856
03/20/12 09:13 PM
03/20/12 09:13 PM
Wisconsin
Blackdog Offline
trapper
Blackdog  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Budfish
A thoughtful review of my own pricing structure brought to light a possable unfairness to my customers so I have now decided to change things up yet again.
I was charging:
$125 service call
$50 per animal.

With all the talk about per animal charges, I had overlooked the fact that it was unfair to put a time limit on catching the offending critter. If I did not perform, the customer would be stuck paying more for my failure. The per animal pricing, I feel, is not really a problem as I do not want to get stuck burning fuel on daily trap checks forever without some type of compensation for it. Also considering higher overhead, I have come up with the following that I now feel is fair to the customer as well as myself. This way, if I don't perform, it's my problem, not theirs.

$100 service call
$60 per animal

(edited my post)

I'm totally lost here...so if you still dont perform it costs them $150 more?

Just ask your mommy...
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3083862
03/20/12 09:16 PM
03/20/12 09:16 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
The money is in - - - - - whatever the money is in IN YOUR LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: wiggler] #3084216
03/20/12 11:45 PM
03/20/12 11:45 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: wiggler
I catch a lot of them in my kill boxes up around you when I'm long lining coon , it was wierd last year on the south side of the big river I caught very few coon , I was setting up in the oak stands .now on the north side of the big river trapping the oak stands I had a great catch on every check . It was like something came along and killed all the coons and stopped at the river

Free Trapper
Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Blackdog] #3084299
03/21/12 01:24 AM
03/21/12 01:24 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Blackdog
Originally Posted By: Budfish
I was charging:
$125 service call
$50 per animal.

$100 service call
$60 per animal

(edited my post)

I'm totally lost here...so if you still dont perform it costs them $150 more?

That is what I'm trying to take care of. If I make them pay for a week trapping, and I don't get the critter, it would not be fair to the customer to charge another week for my failure the first week. I was thinking about leaving it open ended, but as was pointed out, I may get a customer who tries to make me trap forever. I think that in my agreement I need an ending time, but I want to be fair to my customers also. A bit more thinking is in order here, but I may have a solution in mind.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) [Re: Budfish] #3084710
03/21/12 11:13 AM
03/21/12 11:13 AM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
You might consider something along this line:

Customer has agreed to $________ for _________ days of trapping or until the intended results are obtained - whichever is first. All initial fees are fully earned after set up is complete. Customer may cancel this agreement at any time without penalty but there will be no pro-rated or partial refunds. Customer also agrees to promptly pay all current invoices upon cancellation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread