Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Spices......... and how to use them #11146
12/29/06 08:49 PM
12/29/06 08:49 PM
Central NY
NYNovice Offline OP
trapper
NYNovice  Offline OP
trapper

Central NY
Because I have a background in food, Buzz asked me to put some posts here on different areas of cooking. So I thnk we will start with spices.
Spices and the use of them may be the single most important part of cooking and yet, it is the area in which most people make the biggest mistakes when cooking.
The first mistake with spices is using too much. Spices were never meant to be the formost flavor in a dish. They are supposed to enhance the flavor of the food you are cooking. So try to remember that when using spice, Less is more.

The second mistake that is generally made is how the spice is added to the dish. Many times I see people add their spices either all in the beginning, or All at the end. Of the two, Adding at the start of making the dish is probably better, however the best way to add spice is a little at a time as you cook it. This will allow the flavor of the spice to blend and steep into the dish. I sometimes add my spice, 3 or 4 times as it cooks. This would also apply to salt and pepper.

The third mistake is closely related to the second mistake. There are certain spices that should be "Browned" with what ever you are cooking, that will take the bitter flavor out of the spice. The prime example is I am sure everyone has had chili that had that bitter taste in it that comes from Too Much "Raw" chili powder. Add your Chili powder when browning your meat and let it cook into the meat. Other spices that fall into this category would be Curry, Fivespice, and paprika.

Last but not least, I see many people who really don't understand what spices mix well with other spices. And unfortunately, that is something that you will have to experiment with yourself as there is not enough room for me to explain all the different combinations and why one compliments the other. LOL>
Some things I would encourage people to try though, is just being creative. But with this comes some responsibility. If something tastes really bad, you CAN'T fix it with more spices. Generally you will just make it worse.
Some things to try:

Leeks and Fennel: Fresh Leeks and Fennel are GREAT together. Especially if you chop it up and saute' it together. You can serve it with Meats, OR you can make a great cream soup with leaks and Fennel and add potato.

Ginger and Fruits: I used to make a nice mixture of Brown Sugar, Fresh Ginger, Butter, a little Brandy, and sliced Fruit. I like to use Peaches, Pears and apple. It is a great mixture, and you can serve it with Lamb, or port, or chicken, or even Shrimp.

Another thing that is very nice to use in salads is Nasturia(sp) blossoms. They have a nice peppery taste.

Last edited by Buzzard; 02/04/09 06:09 PM.

TrapperMans FIRST Haiku Master:
Misted Over Dawn
Cherry Red On the Hillside
A Moment Stands Still

Re: Spices and how to use them [Re: NYNovice] #105821
02/23/07 06:32 PM
02/23/07 06:32 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Nasturia blossoms???

RdFx
Re: Spices and how to use them [Re: RdFx] #107859
02/25/07 01:47 AM
02/25/07 01:47 AM
Central NY
NYNovice Offline OP
trapper
NYNovice  Offline OP
trapper

Central NY
RdFx, Yes. You can use the blossoms. Pull the stamens, and you can put them in salads, or stuff them with a Cream cheese and smoked salmon mix, or just about anything. \:D

TrapperMans FIRST Haiku Master:
Misted Over Dawn
Cherry Red On the Hillside
A Moment Stands Still

Re: Spices and how to use them [Re: NYNovice] #111010
02/26/07 08:32 PM
02/26/07 08:32 PM
Michigan
S
snowman Offline
trapper
snowman  Offline
trapper
S

Michigan
Another problem...

Using OOOLLLDDDD spices. The ones that barely have a smell when you open them.

Re: Spices and how to use them [Re: snowman] #111216
02/26/07 09:36 PM
02/26/07 09:36 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
snowman, you have mentioned a big problem. Alot of people dont know what fresh actual spices taste or smell like. If you have anything in your cupboard over 6 months , get rid of it. Also do yourself a favor and use fresh spice type flavorings in season and see what a wonderful experience to your taste buds!

RdFx
Re: Spices and how to use them [Re: RdFx] #311473
08/25/07 04:50 AM
08/25/07 04:50 AM
Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
S
Smok Offline
trapper
Smok  Offline
trapper
S

Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
Yes you are right RdFx , but some of use are just happy to have some spices in the cupboard , so other then just getting rid of it is there something we can do mybe like blum the spices ???

Do it with what you got and you wont need what you do not have
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread