ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117497
04/11/12 11:47 PM
04/11/12 11:47 PM
southern ontario canada
C
coonwild Offline
trapper
coonwild  Offline
trapper
C

southern ontario canada
one other thing is why would you talk about your customer's investment like that on camera , sit down and think for a minute about what you said in that vid !

Duncan Wildlife control your solution to wildlife problems

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117498
04/11/12 11:49 PM
04/11/12 11:49 PM
USA
B
bushytail Offline
trapper
bushytail  Offline
trapper
B

USA
http://youtu.be/-JaVvBQc9JI

^^^ Just for you Pesky

Originally Posted By: coonwild
one other thing is why would you talk about your customer's investment like that on camera , sit down and think for a minute about what you said in that vid !

Unreal isnt it. Sometimes your better off to keep your mouth shut and in this case the camera off.

Last edited by bushytail; 04/11/12 11:56 PM.
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117520
04/12/12 12:06 AM
04/12/12 12:06 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
I think people are thinking I was just going to climb up it as it set ,I should have set up the other ladder next to it , I don't climb up it from the tire , I clime on it where it hits the roof on the garage , I use two ladders , I know the ladder would hold me but don't wish to bend or weaken my good ladder , i wasn't even wanting to show that any way I was showing off my hooks and foam I like . I know when I got my first hook ladder it was a whole new world , I was thinking there could be some guys out there that dint know about the hooks , but I geuss you can only talk about that stuff at seminars or something judging by the response . I fell off the roof last summer and it wasn't good , it was two weeks before I could even try to walk , six weeks till I could climb on a house and that was one legged , I was lucky the way I see it ? . I try to write something on here people make fun of me so then I post a video I get yelled at saying I don't belong on any job holy smokes , I guess posting on here is reserved for the prefect people in the world

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117523
04/12/12 12:09 AM
04/12/12 12:09 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I think people are thinking I was just going to climb up it as it set ,I should have set up the other ladder next to it , I don't climb up it from the tire , I clime on it where it hits the roof on the garage , I use two ladders , I know the ladder would hold me but don't wish to bend or weaken my good ladder , i wasn't even wanting to show that any way I was showing off my hooks and foam I like . I know when I got my first hook ladder it was a whole new world , I was thinking there could be some guys out there that dint know about the hooks , but I geuss you can only talk about that stuff at seminars or something judging by the response . I fell off the roof last summer and it wasn't good , it was two weeks before I could even try to walk , six weeks till I could climb on a house and that was one legged , I was lucky the way I see it ? . I try to write something on here people make fun of me so then I post a video I get yelled at saying I don't belong on any job holy smokes , I guess posting on here is reserved for the prefect people in the world

try telling that to the OSHA inspector.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117687
04/12/12 07:51 AM
04/12/12 07:51 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
WTH??? i wanted to watch the video and now its invite only?????? i thought we were all brothers from another mothers?

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3117896
04/12/12 11:10 AM
04/12/12 11:10 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
i thought we were all brothers from another mothers?

Funny guy. wink

Pesky's setup is one used millions of times each year across the country. Is it safe? Yes, if done with a second ladder which he should have mentioned. Is it osha compliant? I don't really know. Was Pesky running any risk of an osha inspection and fine? Absolutely not. Is he sorry he posted that video here? I expect so. But it is a good learning experience on ladder safety and posting videos here.

It can't hurt to shoot for bullet proof status when it comes to safety.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: sgs] #3117909
04/12/12 11:24 AM
04/12/12 11:24 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
well said SGS,

This is actually one case where pesky volunteering his video created some discussion that I as one who just invested in hooks and a serious harness was interested in. So I will thank pesky for throwing himself into this one because for me you folks confirmed some things and an important discussion about safety is being had here.

From here could go on further and go away from what is wrong with his setup and instead lets see other folks doing it the way it can be done or sharing the equipment they bought like nic and dave shared.

My current roof needs are in one area of the state, otherwise everything is nice and flat for the most part and I am a bit spoiled.
Now I'm up on metal roofing with serious pitches and can see why so many guys opt for the lift and build it into the bid. I would still
have to get on the roof physically in places, but the back of the place I'm working on now I've decided to let the ground harden a bit and do
a lift rental versus risking my neck (the only neck employed and bringing in income in my little company).

So how about it, Bud had a good suggestion on the OSHA course. Last year I was trying to find a good rope access course that covered multiple
topics from roof rigging to other types of harness and rope work including rappelling and others. Ended up running out of time before company
launched, but am still looking into those types.

I took a rock climbing course professionally last year and it was worth the money in knowing how to make anchor points, be correctly tied in
and have redundant anchor systems. Still isn't totally applicable to roof work but the concepts in safety are very similar, other than in climbing you know you will fall often daily and hourly but you want to know your anchor is "bomber" as they say.

So lets move on and keep this going but in a productive way.

Justin

Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:

Funny guy. wink

Pesky's setup is one used millions of times each year across the country. Is it safe? Yes, if done with a second ladder which he should have mentioned. Is it osha compliant? I don't really know. Was Pesky running any risk of an osha inspection and fine? Absolutely not. Is he sorry he posted that video here? I expect so. But it is a good learning experience on ladder safety and posting videos here.

It can't hurt to shoot for bullet proof status when it comes to safety.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118047
04/12/12 02:01 PM
04/12/12 02:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I can't believe that Pesky has serious falls off ladders too. ( Pesky, I've fallen enough so that my ladders were taken away. I have this really cool but very empty ladder rack on my van. )

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118278
04/12/12 05:39 PM
04/12/12 05:39 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Thanks for sharing, Pesky. It is great that people are learning and using the post in a productive manner. Remember the rules....no flaming...

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118281
04/12/12 05:43 PM
04/12/12 05:43 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, I for one, am inflamable.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: sgs] #3118706
04/12/12 10:29 PM
04/12/12 10:29 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:

. Was Pesky running any risk of an osha inspection and fine? Absolutely not.
wanna bet? all it takes is a phone call.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118913
04/13/12 07:08 AM
04/13/12 07:08 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Look at it logically Bud. With over 100 million work sites in the country, OSHA'S inspection priorities put calls from little old ladies rather low on the list. Add to that the fact that the inspectors would have to schedule an inspection, they're not sitting around waiting for a call. On top of that, add the fact that Pesky was probably gone within an hour and I repeat, he was in no danger of an OSHA inspection or fine.

I've seen that ladder setup so often that I'm not sure osha even has a problem with it.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118943
04/13/12 07:40 AM
04/13/12 07:40 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Sqs, please review the fall protection standard for construction...and the defintion of a steep roof.

osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/subpartm.html

Last edited by DaveK; 04/13/12 07:42 AM.
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3118977
04/13/12 08:07 AM
04/13/12 08:07 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Reviewed as requested but I didn't find anything concerning Pesky's ladder setup.

Am I just missing it?

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119005
04/13/12 08:38 AM
04/13/12 08:38 AM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
I've seen OSHA come out on construction jobs. One time I caused the visit because the inspector saw me on the skyline walking a 2x8 carrying a sheet of plywood, from the interstate. Said I needed to be tied off to something, there was nothing there except the rickety scaffold I was building. Inspectors used that and other instances as "teachable moments." I have never seen or heard of fines, unless someone was dead or missing a major body part. (I have heard that they are worse up north, where everything is unionized). Alot of OSHA regulations are downright silly, wearing a hardhat so a 3,000 pound piece of steel doesn't give you a boo-boo on your head while it crushes you, for instance.

You really cant regulate safety, it's something people have to learn to prioritize on their own. Some people are smart, some bold, some just need more experience to scare the bold into smart. Some will never learn. Darwin had a theory about that.

Be careful out there.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119027
04/13/12 08:59 AM
04/13/12 08:59 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Sqs, you need to use a fall protection harness....in addition to the ladder hook set up. On the ladder set up, you have to follow the labels on the side of the ladder.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119162
04/13/12 11:11 AM
04/13/12 11:11 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:
wanna bet? all it takes is a phone call.

Tattle tail,,,,,,,,,,,lol

OSHA has not authority over Pesky concerning fall protection ,,,,,,,

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119190
04/13/12 11:44 AM
04/13/12 11:44 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Thanks Vinke. I've been looking for the regulation concerning osha's authority and finally found this...

link

Quote:
Question 1: Can OSHA cite a self-employed individual working on a construction site for violations of OSHA construction standards?

Answer: No. If a construction worker is truly self-employed — is not an employee — and has no employees working for him or her, OSHA has no authority to require that individual to abide by OSHA construction requirements.

Looks like you're off the hook Pesky. wink Unless, of course, there are even more regulations from the nanny state.

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119246
04/13/12 12:52 PM
04/13/12 12:52 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Except, there are employees in this example. Kids are employees...although they may be exempt from some employment taxes. The real risk is not the cost of the OSHA fine....it is the injury. Has anyone found tools to make that job safer? Be safe out there!

Re: Using ladder hooks and pur black [Re: Peskycritter] #3119264
04/13/12 01:06 PM
04/13/12 01:06 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
What the heck is OSHA? Operators Shouldn't Handle Animals?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread