ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167097
05/21/12 10:37 AM
05/21/12 10:37 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
There's lots of people using them that's forsure . I just don't like them . If been using spear type traps all my life . When I was a little kid I keep the whole neighbor hood trapped out . there's a little nack to setting them up but they work for me . I would rather people see my mole traps no need to hide them . People call in hey your traps down . I do use the Steve's traps now but that just started this year . My spear traps work right out of box . They don't rust . I have some that are from the early 1900s . There like 2' tail but still smoke the moles . There also fast to setup no tools needed .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Treating out o sights [Re: Peskycritter] #3167277
05/21/12 01:43 PM
05/21/12 01:43 PM
Missouri
MoFarmBoy Offline
trapper
MoFarmBoy  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I have some that are from the early 1900s . There like 2' tail but still smoke the moles . There also fast to setup no tools needed .

Pics, please. Do they have the round plunger loops?

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
box, and the cartridge box.
Re: Treating out o sights [Re: Nic Pallo] #3167323
05/21/12 02:27 PM
05/21/12 02:27 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Originally Posted By: Nic Pallo
I only use my 2 OOS traps for pulling dead raccoons and squirrels from chimneys after they were "smoked out" from the homeowners. Lower the trap down in the set position on a rope and when within a foot of the dead animal drop it and let it fire on it. Pull up and woolaa you got your dead critter wink
Other then that, I only use steves traps for moles anymore. No need for ANYTHING else in my book

Did anybody else catch that tip? Thanks Nic that is a good one to file away for later use.

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167381
05/21/12 04:07 PM
05/21/12 04:07 PM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
X2 Good Tip!

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: MoFarmBoy] #3167470
05/21/12 05:35 PM
05/21/12 05:35 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: MoFarmBoy
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I have some that are from the early 1900s . There like 2' tail but still smoke the moles . There also fast to setup no tools needed .

Pics, please. Do they have the round plunger loops?
Yep they got the round plunger loops . I think there like 1918 or 15 or something like that . I beleave there the first of there kind . There also very sharp still . There made to last . I will have to dig them out my kids always killing moles around the house with them . Came home one time he had like a doz set in a ten by ten area

Free Trapper
Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167526
05/21/12 06:28 PM
05/21/12 06:28 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
My son removed a big dead coon yesterday out of a chimney . First they had to have a chimney guy come out and hammer drill into the chimney because there was no clean out . My oldest son works for a differnt company than mine . He's 15 and been working there sense he was 10 . He is there go to guy now . I have two sons and having both of them together with me driving around all day is more than I can handle . There always picking at each other . Yesterday he work all day then weed whacked the guys yard for two hours as his boss got in a nap . He only makes 20 bucks aday but made a extra 20 with the yard work . from time to time he feels the need to get payed more . I'm always telling him it's not about the money right now son just keep your head down and get your work done and the money will come . It's starting to get pretty funny because there always calling in my boy when it's something hard to get to . On the weekends there having him reset the traps on jobs where they haven't caught there animal yet . Now the new plan is there going to put this new guy on the road which is family to the owner . He wants my son to ride along with this new guy all summer and do all the setups and train this new guy . I'm kinda having a problem with this one . For one how's this guys driving , second is my boy going to get payed atleast the same wage as the new guy . I'm thinking if they got him training people now it's time he gets payed a little more . I'm going to tell my boy about this tip and see what he thinks . Maybe he could have used it yesterday . I carry a frog spear which goes on to my chimney poles and a little larger fish spear that has barbs on it . I've remove a lot of things with them both . Works good on them kitchen stove vents that come out the side of the house . It also gets the squirrel nest out of there to . I got a picture on my face book of me spearing dead squirrels of a vent

Free Trapper
Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167583
05/21/12 07:21 PM
05/21/12 07:21 PM
Redwood City,California
S
SteveAlbano Offline
trapper
SteveAlbano  Offline
trapper
S

Redwood City,California
The spear style mole traps go back a long way. I have one from 1886 that's pretty cool looking. I think I can post a picture later.

And they probably go back way before that in England.

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167588
05/21/12 07:24 PM
05/21/12 07:24 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have a couple that I got at yard sales and from a customer. They are strong and about 2 feet tall or better.I wont set them, just keep them for posterity.

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3167594
05/21/12 07:27 PM
05/21/12 07:27 PM
Redwood City,California
S
SteveAlbano Offline
trapper
SteveAlbano  Offline
trapper
S

Redwood City,California
Post pictures, and I probably can tell you what trap they are and when they were made. I have a mole trap collectors manual(by Rex Marsh), and several dozen old mole traps. I love old traps.

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3167674
05/21/12 08:24 PM
05/21/12 08:24 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
Originally Posted By: Nic Pallo
I only use my 2 OOS traps for pulling dead raccoons and squirrels from chimneys after they were "smoked out" from the homeowners. Lower the trap down in the set position on a rope and when within a foot of the dead animal drop it and let it fire on it. Pull up and woolaa you got your dead critter wink
Other then that, I only use steves traps for moles anymore. No need for ANYTHING else in my book

Did anybody else catch that tip? Thanks Nic that is a good one to file away for later use.

No problem smile

Re: Treating out o sights [Re: 22mag] #3168013
05/22/12 12:04 AM
05/22/12 12:04 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I'll dig them out and make a video .i have like a collection of differnt years . I think mine are the first Victor spear trap . I think they made them so tall because people where fur trapping moles . Not really sure just a guess

Free Trapper
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread