ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pricing #3184261
06/13/12 06:39 AM
06/13/12 06:39 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Hey, Y'all!

I'm new here. Just come over from the Bass-Pro forums where they talk hunt and fish but scant few trappers over there.

I got lots of questions and little time so I'll just jump right in it.

I'm new to the damage control business and have no clue to what agents normally charge. I do plumbing repair and light construction as a mainstay and really feel like I should be paid as much for ADC work as I would charge for plumbing repair. But they are two entirely different businesses and I'm not sure they charging system would be the same.

I can tell you that in the plumbing repair world, I charge 85 bucks for a service call. That takes care of the first hour. 40 dollars an hour after the first... Plus materials.

The 85 dollars is the trip charge which covers my first hour and driving expense. But if I'm running a 10 day coyote line, that's 10 trips. I can't see charging a 850 dollars. No body around here would pay that.

What do y'all suggest?

Last edited by Muddawg; 06/13/12 06:40 AM.

Muddawg
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184371
06/13/12 09:32 AM
06/13/12 09:32 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I charge a 100 a coyote and 100 setup fee . That's for working local . People here are happy to pay that . The other guy is 250

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184497
06/13/12 12:01 PM
06/13/12 12:01 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not so far out of line on set up fee but I doubt I could get that much per critter here.

I know that things are more expensive in some places than in others. Just for comparison sake, what's the average plumbing service call up your way?

Is that the same price for any critter or just coyotes?

Muddawg
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184507
06/13/12 12:14 PM
06/13/12 12:14 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Most of my coyote jobs are done the first 24 hours . If it goes longer than 3 days I figer I'm loosing money . The price of gas and my time is not cheap. If your target is a problem coyote then they will pay it . If people are just wanting it gone because its a coyote they will not pay it. You could go a flat rate price for 10 days of trapping .

Free Trapper
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184522
06/13/12 12:30 PM
06/13/12 12:30 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
Originally Posted By: Muddawg
Hey, Y'all!

I'm new here. Just come over from the Bass-Pro forums where they talk hunt and fish but scant few trappers over there.

I got lots of questions and little time so I'll just jump right in it.

I'm new to the damage control business and have no clue to what agents normally charge. I do plumbing repair and light construction as a mainstay and really feel like I should be paid as much for ADC work as I would charge for plumbing repair. But they are two entirely different businesses and I'm not sure they charging system would be the same.

I can tell you that in the plumbing repair world, I charge 85 bucks for a service call. That takes care of the first hour. 40 dollars an hour after the first... Plus materials. Up here in tidewater Va this would be cheap more then a few of us charge 85 $ /HR for every hour we are there you might find the guys in the local "penny papers" are only charging $40 most of them are not licensed

The 85 dollars is the trip charge which covers my first hour and driving expense. But if I'm running a 10 day coyote line, that's 10 trips. I can't see charging a 850 dollars. No body around here would pay that.

What do y'all suggest?

how good of a yote trapper are you are you required to get all of them including the last one or are you just "giving it your best shot" if you are not good enough to catch the "last one" your $ 40 price might be appropriate, offer not to write an in voice if you do not catch any of the target specie just a few random thoughts

Last edited by aprophet; 06/13/12 12:32 PM.

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184618
06/13/12 02:03 PM
06/13/12 02:03 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Muddawg

I can't see charging a 850 dollars. No body around here would pay that.

What do y'all suggest?

find a niche species that customers are willing to pay to have removed. it may not be coyote, how about beaver? skunk? coon? bats?

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184810
06/13/12 04:28 PM
06/13/12 04:28 PM
Georgia
F
firedawg Offline
trapper
firedawg  Offline
trapper
F

Georgia
flat rate charge here. that way I still get paid even if the nuisance animal gets hit by a car or anything else. there are folks who will pay. The ones that you think won't pay the 850 won't want to pay the 40 either. some folks just don't want to pay anything.

Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3184954
06/13/12 06:23 PM
06/13/12 06:23 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Asked and answered.

If you doubt you're worth 850 then you're right.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3185791
06/14/12 07:48 AM
06/14/12 07:48 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Pricing in a service business is much different than selling a widget. Charge the rate you desire, and make sure your level of service matches the rate. There is nothing wrong with being the lowest priced guy...or the highest price guy. Often, these two bussinesses are not competing with eachother. They are attracting a customer with different expectations.

The difference in pricing will impact your business in the quality of equipment, or the amount of growth you can afford. Each business has different capital needs, depending on the chosen strategy.

It is easy to underestimate your capital needs, because risk can be difficult to assess. What happens when you need to replace a truck? What if the animal returns? What if you get injurred? What if a customer gets injured? What if you damage a house? What if a population decreases and impacts your business? What if fuel prices increase? What if competition increases?

Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3185802
06/14/12 08:22 AM
06/14/12 08:22 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:

"No body around here would pay that."

That's the important part. It doesn't matter how much you think you're worth if no one is going to pay it.

The best idea is to find out what others in your area are charging for the type of work you want to do. If you're a member of your local/state trappers association, you should be able to get a good idea of pricing by talking to the folks there.

Re: Pricing [Re: sgs] #3185860
06/14/12 09:37 AM
06/14/12 09:37 AM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: sgs
"No body around here would pay that."

There has to be market for a service. If the homeowner can't pay what about a group of concerned neighbors, home owner's association? If they can't afford to pay then maybe someone else will. If your a hobbyist go for it but no business can afford to just give away services and expect to keep its doors open.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3185903
06/14/12 10:11 AM
06/14/12 10:11 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
...no business can afford to just give away services and expect to keep its doors open.

No business can afford to charge so much that they don't get any work either.

I don't think anyone here is talking about giving away services. I know I'm not.

Finding out what the going rate is in your area is far more important than how much you think you're worth. You're only worth what people are willing to pay.

Muddawg will be well served by finding out what the other operators in his area are charging so that he doesn't waste time under or over charging for his services. As time goes on he can adjust his pricing to suit his situation.

Re: Pricing [Re: sgs] #3185917
06/14/12 10:20 AM
06/14/12 10:20 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

A homeowner may have an issue paying that but a rancher with a herd worth over six figures will. I never lower my prices to meet a customer but I can say that since we are busy and stay busy.

Its rained here for nearly two weeks from A Tropical Storm that remained a depression x 2 weeks. I am living in armadillo heaven and its must be raining armadillos our there! When I am busy I raise my prices because we can only handle so many customers at a time anyway.

Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3185920
06/14/12 10:25 AM
06/14/12 10:25 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I think that we are saying that a given market is made up of different price points. The range of prices may be wide...and might be wider than you yourself might realize. Then, do not forget suggestive selling....would you like fries with that?

Last edited by DaveK; 06/14/12 10:49 AM.
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3186366
06/14/12 04:46 PM
06/14/12 04:46 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
What Dave said plus add a % off if they take the whole package . People love a discount even if they spend a lot to get it . All these things will save them money in the long run so it's not just some sales man trick .

Free Trapper
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3186390
06/14/12 05:08 PM
06/14/12 05:08 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
In most cases your talking about a home or landscape.Whats their home worth whats their landscaping worth???Thats an easy way to start figuring pricing.I do some local jobs for 75.00 drive an hour or so down the road and it isnt nothing to get 275.00 for the same job.The area will tell you what to charge.Its different allover noone can use the same pricing here as they do in Denver for example.You could try but will find your setting home more than your working.Just my 2 cents.Youll figure it out just know all of your overhead also comes out of those prices.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3186716
06/14/12 08:53 PM
06/14/12 08:53 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I was not suggesting that one base price on the value of a house, that would invoke a morale issue...don't you think?

The idea was that company A may have a lower price structure than company B. The two companies may operate in the same area, but not compete with eachother on price. It would be silly to think that the primary way companies compete is on price. Some people do not care that it costs $200 or $400 to trap a coyote. Some might think $200 is too good to be true...while others can not afford $50.

Perhaps, they perfer to have someone with alot of experience...or unmarked truck..or a national chain...or a mom and pop...or a company that gives back to the local community...or an authentic trapper in camo...or someone with backup trucks. To think that price is the primary reason a customer chooses you is a bit short sighted.

Re: Pricing [Re: Peskycritter] #3189359
06/17/12 07:15 AM
06/17/12 07:15 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
If your target is a problem coyote then they will pay it . If people are just wanting it gone because its a coyote they will not pay it.

Now there's a statement that makes sense!

Thanks, Dude!

I've already had issues with folks that see some critter in their back yard and want it gone just because it's there. I tell them that there must be verifiable damage done before I can remove it and they come up with what it could do. "I have little children!" or "What about our pet labradoodle?"

That's when I would really love to get sarcastic and say "Oh, I'm sorry, Lady. I thought you said you saw a fox. Not a cougar!"

Thanks much, Pesky. I'll keep this in mind when I'm setting my prices.

To everybody else. Thanks much!

I've got some good advice out of this thread.

Muddawg
Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3190067
06/17/12 06:20 PM
06/17/12 06:20 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Lady called today and described a jaguarundi http://t4studios.com/thefloridajaguarundi.html as in like a panther or cougar but smaller with a long tail black-melanistic.

I have known they existed locally and told the lady how lucky she got a chance to see a very rare small cat that predates prehistoric times in Florida fossil records . Every now and then they surface.

I did not want to trap this - it was not even a nuisance anyway and just a sighting. The best advice did not have a price . I said enjoy it and if its not bothering anyone to just leave it alone and she did!

Re: Pricing [Re: Muddawg] #3190450
06/17/12 11:20 PM
06/17/12 11:20 PM
Glenwood Springs Colorado
nighthunter2 Offline
trapper
nighthunter2  Offline
trapper

Glenwood Springs Colorado
I learned the what to charge the hard way my first summer in business I had ideas of what other arc guys were charging and then just played the numbers on each call till I found the cap that 80% of the calls in a certain area turned into jobs and that's about where my service and animal charges have stayed since then

Joe Herrman
Paramount Wildlife Management
Glenwood Springs
(970)309-0865
paramountwm@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread