ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks #3183230
06/12/12 11:19 AM
06/12/12 11:19 AM
Northern, VA
kill-n-time Offline OP
trapper
kill-n-time  Offline OP
trapper

Northern, VA
Any help would be great. I have a 8x8 and a 12x12 cage traps. I will be setting for the ghogs what type of bait should I use in the trap? And any other tips or trick would be great thanks.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183237
06/12/12 11:24 AM
06/12/12 11:24 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I use sight and taste along with smell. set the opening in the direction that the hog is coming from and I trail them in. your 8x8 you can stick right down in the hole if you know you have a single hog. I like the 8x8 better than a big trap for hogs but there are times for both.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183312
06/12/12 12:45 PM
06/12/12 12:45 PM
Northern, VA
kill-n-time Offline OP
trapper
kill-n-time  Offline OP
trapper

Northern, VA
What kind of bait to use and smell?????? Im new to the gdog trapping, 223 works best but not were I was asked to deal withthem.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183607
06/12/12 05:09 PM
06/12/12 05:09 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Make sure your cage is clean.Use apples,cantelope,banana,brocolli whatever just keep it fresh or youll be dealin with a lot of possum.I also use visual as well as smell once you catch the first one set the same cage in the same spot it helps a ton and you probably wont even need to bait it the second go around.Dont clean the cage either after first catch and use that cage for ghogs only untill you are done with them.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183818
06/12/12 08:07 PM
06/12/12 08:07 PM
Northern, VA
kill-n-time Offline OP
trapper
kill-n-time  Offline OP
trapper

Northern, VA
Thanks that will help

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183852
06/12/12 08:34 PM
06/12/12 08:34 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
Use apples,cantelope,banana,brocolli whatever just keep it fresh...

Yep.

This may sound funny but a little dab of castor seems to speed up the catch.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3183877
06/12/12 08:47 PM
06/12/12 08:47 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
I agree.I have caught ghogs on rub sets made for bobcat and fox using castor.Not quite the fur I was looking for but hey had bait for the next set. laugh

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: The Trapster] #3184145
06/12/12 11:29 PM
06/12/12 11:29 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
There is a lot of archived things on ground hogs on here. I agree with everything said here. One thing different and some one will make fun of it is for visuals I buy silk flowers and greenery because it stays fresh looking for several ground hogs. To catch his nose I use commercial paste baits of the previous mentioned smells with success. My favorite lure is Jameson's formula 1 and 2 with his trailing scent.
The silk flowers and Jameson's is a combination that I recommend above all others.
Another thing I do sometimes is I put my terrier on leash so that he can't get to deep into the hole. When He tells me the hole has a hog in it I will set the hole with a universal from safegueard, a nose cone or a coni if the situation allows.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3185882
06/14/12 09:54 AM
06/14/12 09:54 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I know I sound like a broken record but forget the bait, use double door cage traps with a positive set, no bait. If you have a smelly trap from catching other chucks, all the better. I have never used bait since I went to double door traps several years ago. No maintenance either, fewer non targets. Lady just called, had 7 chucks. Did them all in 2 nights with no bait. A second location had one chuck. Sat there for about 6 days until I got the call the chuck was in the trap. Best part, once it is set you are done until you catch. Setting free standing den sites or under sheds is the norm, but you can trail set structure also. Just too easy and the only time it does not work is when the chuck has moved on.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: Jim Comstock] #3185954
06/14/12 10:46 AM
06/14/12 10:46 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
I know I sound like a broken record but forget the bait, use double door cage traps with a positive set, no bait. If you have a smelly trap from catching other chucks, all the better. I have never used bait since I went to double door traps several years ago. No maintenance either, fewer non targets. Lady just called, had 7 chucks. Did them all in 2 nights with no bait. A second location had one chuck. Sat there for about 6 days until I got the call the chuck was in the trap. Best part, once it is set you are done until you catch. Setting free standing den sites or under sheds is the norm, but you can trail set structure also. Just too easy and the only time it does not work is when the chuck has moved on.

I too am a no bait fan......and I use single door when I use cages. My most recent, I didn't even make it home before the homeowner called and informed it was caught.

-Goofy-
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3186379
06/14/12 04:57 PM
06/14/12 04:57 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
your right Jim but not all jobs are den sites many are open areas where trail sets are used. I prefer snares over every thing else but they may not be the best tool for a certain situation. same with cages there are times when a baited trap is the best method and times when a as you say positive set. heck I never use a double door on my positive sets LOL I can say here that knowing when and where to put a single door positive set in is the key but that would also be a asinine statement. true but asinine.

40% of my work if not higher is hogs from march till November. I do very large property work. my methods will be every thing from cages to snares if I could use killer traps I would. I will shoot long range and or stalk with a 12 ga. I use a bow or cross bow in tight areas that a gun can not be used to get the last ones that know what a trap is if I need too. Baits and eye appeal is only a portion of the method! Paul I like your flower thing and have started using it after you told me in the podcast. LOL I think am going to put some of my sweet corn on them and stick them in the ground just to have some laughs.

Last edited by Jonesie; 06/14/12 04:59 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3188171
06/15/12 11:26 PM
06/15/12 11:26 PM
OH
C
coonsmasher220 Offline
trapper
coonsmasher220  Offline
trapper
C

OH
buy some comstocks choice number one....number two get apples i split them on the cage floo at the opening and rub one half of the apple up and down the bottom of the cage to make a scent path. then toss em in the back...and a good paste bait dont hurt like jamenson's formula 1 or 2.

Ben Boehl
Another Critter Gone LLC
Cincinnati, OH
OSTA, NTA, FTA, OWCOA, NRA
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3189508
06/17/12 10:25 AM
06/17/12 10:25 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Just got a phone call with a good story on chucks. I know some guys use bait and some say clean traps are a must, but check this out. An ADC guy has a some cage traps he got from us, 18 inch double door. He sets his traps before he leaves and leaves them set in the truck all the time. Guess he thinks its easier. When he gets home he just puts the traps on the ground at his house, still set while he rearranges his vehicle for the next day and sometimes leaves them there overnight, no bait, no den, just in the yard. They smell strongly of chucks of course, urine and feces. He has chucks living in his yard but doesn't care, "no one pays me to catch them." So, twice he has placed 18 inch double door traps on the ground, no den, no bait and caught woodchucks! Shows how valuable the scent is, territorial like most rodents. Have no idea if a double door trap gives confidence or a single might be just as good.

This just shows valuable the woodchuck smells are to another chuck and how a guy might be able to deal with a chuck where there is little to work with and they don't like your bait. He also says Newt Sterling has woodchuck urine.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3189681
06/17/12 01:18 PM
06/17/12 01:18 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Jamesons Woodchuck gland is tops. Has that good dirty trap smell to it.

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3189786
06/17/12 02:37 PM
06/17/12 02:37 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Thanks for the heads up on the Jameson lure. Did not know about Jameson's lure either, good to know. Since positive sets are incredibly productive and we use them most of the time, it does sometimes result in some tunnel vision on my part. Always good to have a bunch of different sets, traps and lures in the bag of tricks. Beaver of course respond to castor just about 100 per cent of the time if they have not been pinched at a castor mound. They just can't help themselves. Seems like most of the rodents will do the same, chucks included, territorial, making a smelly chuck trap to a chuck about like a castor mound is to a beaver. Sure don't much care for the smell of chucks, but it all smells like dollars!

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3189813
06/17/12 03:05 PM
06/17/12 03:05 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Little late but for those interested here is this years Ground Hog Woodchuck 2012Podcast with Ron Jones

http://thewildlifepro.com/about/our-podcasts/woodchucks-ground-hogs-2012/

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: Jim Comstock] #3193909
06/20/12 12:22 PM
06/20/12 12:22 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
Just got a phone call with a good story on chucks. I know some guys use bait and some say clean traps are a must, but check this out. An ADC guy has a some cage traps he got from us, 18 inch double door. He sets his traps before he leaves and leaves them set in the truck all the time. Guess he thinks its easier. When he gets home he just puts the traps on the ground at his house, still set while he rearranges his vehicle for the next day and sometimes leaves them there overnight, no bait, no den, just in the yard. They smell strongly of chucks of course, urine and feces. He has chucks living in his yard but doesn't care, "no one pays me to catch them." So, twice he has placed 18 inch double door traps on the ground, no den, no bait and caught woodchucks! Shows how valuable the scent is, territorial like most rodents. Have no idea if a double door trap gives confidence or a single might be just as good.

This just shows valuable the woodchuck smells are to another chuck and how a guy might be able to deal with a chuck where there is little to work with and they don't like your bait. He also says Newt Sterling has woodchuck urine.

I can vouch for the singles......no bait, no trail, just set on the ground next to the garden.

-Goofy-
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3194445
06/20/12 06:51 PM
06/20/12 06:51 PM
Kentucky
TimsWildlifeCtrl Offline
trapper
TimsWildlifeCtrl  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
I use Whistle Pig Groundhog paste, with a bunch of purple clover in the back of the cage. In the front, use your sifter and cover the bottom of the cage with dirt, so they won't feel the cage beneath their feet. Also, make sure your trap dose not rock around. If your trap is stable, placed in front of the hole, the floor of the cage is covered and your bait is in the back you'll have him real quick.

A county boy can survive! ~Hank Jr.~
Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3195377
06/21/12 02:18 PM
06/21/12 02:18 PM
Northern, VA
kill-n-time Offline OP
trapper
kill-n-time  Offline OP
trapper

Northern, VA
I caught a box turtle today! but no ground pig

Re: cage trapping ground hogs tips and tricks [Re: kill-n-time] #3196286
06/22/12 08:32 AM
06/22/12 08:32 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I placed a single door out yesterday next to a garden but the owner called and told me I forgot to actually "set it". Apparently the groundhog wanted in so bad he figured out how to open the door and let himself in because he was in there this morning.

-Goofy-
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread