Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4136508
11/25/13 10:58 PM
11/25/13 10:58 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
I have at times used a rib bone from a calf.
An old trick I picked up Roy Kuykendall , an old government trapper from California.
Roy had some great trick sets and was a wealth of information on trapping coyotes and other predators.
I learned a great deal from Roy in our conversations.
He wrote a book, Fur Harvesting and Predator Control.
Sadly, Roy is now gone.
A lot of great ones are...

LT

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4313876
02/14/14 03:25 PM
02/14/14 03:25 PM
NC / PA
Y
yotes Offline
trapper
yotes  Offline
trapper
Y

NC / PA
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Originally Posted By: Ringbill5196
I once read a fishing article by Al Linder. He said the only difference between a jig and a (Lindy) rig was the space between the minnow and the weight. Simplified it alot to me.

I am new to trapping, but it seems to me a dirthole and a flat set are the same thing. Trap, pattern, and something(s) to attract to the X. One has a hole and the other, well it might too, or two. I did pick up on this that everyone seems to lure a flat set but few seem to bait them.

I have read and watched more than a little bit in the last few months am I missing something? By the way, thank you Mr. Dobbins for this wonderful resource so slow learners like me can catch on.

I always set a trap at a flat set differently than I do at a dirt hole set.

LT,

Could you elaborate on the above sentence?

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4314125
02/14/14 05:45 PM
02/14/14 05:45 PM
northwest pa
JEckman Offline
trapper
JEckman  Offline
trapper

northwest pa
I like a grape fruit size white rock just on the right location with bare ground and a small piece of charred wood when I'm in snow. I've found when I lure these sets I have a lot of coyotes heading to check them out get a whiff of lure then start pacing. No lure and they trot right in without thinking about it. Anybody else make flat/post sets like this?

My last coyote I caught I made the set right before we were getting 5ish inches of snow. Set was just a half inch diameter stick sticking out of the snow about 1O foot out from woods line 2 traps bedded in bulkhead hulls then just let it snow to cover everything. No lure urine anything but that stick

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4314154
02/14/14 05:59 PM
02/14/14 05:59 PM
Western Pennsylvania
cnctrapper Offline
trapper
cnctrapper  Offline
trapper

Western Pennsylvania
I caught 90% of my fox using the flipped over sod from my trap bed with a few drops of gland (red,grey,mink,even bobcat) and a shot of fresh fox urine. I honestly have never caught a fox at a dirthole set. Had the best luck with sod sets. (Thank You Russ Carman!!) Always play the prevailing wind and BED THAT TRAP SOLID! IMHO bedding canine traps is one of the primary ingredients to success.

Invictus Maneo!
Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4314193
02/14/14 06:27 PM
02/14/14 06:27 PM
Eastern Montana
D
DogsRus Offline
trapper
DogsRus  Offline
trapper
D

Eastern Montana
Cow chips. They are everywhere in my country. Best part about them is i basically build a cubby out of them for my dogs. They soak up urine and lure perfectly. They work beautifully anywhere you have zero and I mean zero cover. Bare naked stock dams are my go-to flat sets.

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: DogsRus] #4314508
02/14/14 09:02 PM
02/14/14 09:02 PM
Indiana
Y
Yaz Offline
trapper
Yaz  Offline
trapper
Y

Indiana
Originally Posted By: DogsRus
Cow chips. They are everywhere in my country. Best part about them is i basically build a cubby out of them for my dogs. They soak up urine and lure perfectly. They work beautifully anywhere you have zero and I mean zero cover. Bare naked stock dams are my go-to flat sets.

I will agree with you on the cow pies! However, I have to get the skunks out of the way first. The skunks absolutely love working a pasture flipping them over, and digging in them!

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: Yaz] #4314537
02/14/14 09:14 PM
02/14/14 09:14 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
I would set more flat sets, but I catch myself second guessing and worrying that im not on target enough on their travelway, and overcompensate by making gaudy dirtholes. I also think I severly underestimate a coyotes nose. would a simple turd on a leaf covered logging road be okay, or is this set saved for more bare dirt areas where it would be seen easier?

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4314647
02/14/14 10:05 PM
02/14/14 10:05 PM
Eastern Montana
D
DogsRus Offline
trapper
DogsRus  Offline
trapper
D

Eastern Montana
I use cow chips for backing. I too struggled (and still do) with my lure, urine, and bait selection, amount. I think you hit it one the head with underestimating a coyotes nose. I am guilty of it too but now I have tried so hard to correct it that I'm unsure of my call lure and hardly ever use them. I'm a firm believer that if you are on location very little lure is needed to be productive. My cousin is county trapper he will not re-lure his coyote sets for at least a month. I have the most confidence in flat sets, I believe coyotes are easier to catch when they are on flat ground and away from vertical structure. JMO

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: DogsRus] #4314672
02/14/14 10:14 PM
02/14/14 10:14 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
I ought to know better too. ive gone to sets that were covered in snow for 3 weeks and the coyotes will have dug at them. im going to try to back off the lure and trust my location a little better with subtle sets.

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4314761
02/14/14 10:44 PM
02/14/14 10:44 PM
northwest pa
JEckman Offline
trapper
JEckman  Offline
trapper

northwest pa
If you got coyotes coming through your on location

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4315565
02/15/14 01:01 PM
02/15/14 01:01 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I like to use white...... very white rocks for my #1 backing for bobcats. Or White bones or skulls. Something different that sticks out big times when you put it there for the first time. These white eye catchers work good when I make a walk thru set targeting cats. I make a small pile on either side of where I want the cat to walk thru. I know where several farmers and ranchers have a dead cow piles and I can go there and get lots of white bones and skulls to use. For yotes the #1 backing I use is natural clumps of grass.... followed by cow pies or a chunk of wood or stick. But I have used lots of other stuff and most seemed to work.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: NebrCatMan] #4316067
02/15/14 06:53 PM
02/15/14 06:53 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
some people put lure under something for flat sets, some put lure on something. does this make a difference in what lure you use. something above ground, not in a hole would be easier for a coyote to roll on. would a t bone set use a different lure than putting lure in a mouse hole, or am I overthinking the whole thing. never gave much thought on what lures to use before joining this site, just want to make sure im using them right.

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4322718
02/18/14 05:00 PM
02/18/14 05:00 PM
East OK & West AR
Okiecntry Offline
trapper
Okiecntry  Offline
trapper

East OK & West AR
I have at times used a rib bone from a calf.
An old trick I picked up Roy Kuykendall , an old government trapper from California.
Roy had some great trick sets and was a wealth of information on trapping coyotes and other predators.
I learned a great deal from Roy in our conversations.
He wrote a book, Fur Harvesting and Predator Control.
Sadly, Roy is now gone.
A lot of great ones are...

LT

I ordered a used copy of this book today. Pretty tough to find, so I hope it is good.

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4323092
02/18/14 06:54 PM
02/18/14 06:54 PM
East OK & West AR
Okiecntry Offline
trapper
Okiecntry  Offline
trapper

East OK & West AR
We have a lot of armadillos on the hunting club that I trap on and they are always laying in the road from getting shot. It seems the buzzards are the only thing to eat them put always notice coyote and bobcat tracks around them even though they are not eating them. I decided this year to use a couple of the empty shells by standing them up against some weeds/briars next to the road. A little dab of lure inside the shell and trap blended out front made for a flashy set but didn't look out of place for the gas line guys running the roads I trap on. My first bobcat this year was on one of the "standing armadillo shell" sets. I caught a couple possums at the other set so they are not possum proof - Dang!

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4324100
02/19/14 12:45 AM
02/19/14 12:45 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Well Okie, you know an armadillo ain't nothin' but "a 'possum on the half shell !" laugh

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: DogsRus] #4324126
02/19/14 01:07 AM
02/19/14 01:07 AM
Northeast Oregon
G
GrantRichie Offline
trapper
GrantRichie  Offline
trapper
G

Northeast Oregon
Originally Posted By: DogsRus

You have any pictures of a coyote cubby made out of cow chips? I can find plenty of cow chips for sets, but curious how exactly you are making a cubby out of it. My first thought is that you are just using the cow chip as backing, but would be curious to see a set as you described since it may work very well where I am.

Last edited by GrantRichie; 02/19/14 01:07 AM.
Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4324203
02/19/14 02:27 AM
02/19/14 02:27 AM
Northeast Oregon
G
GrantRichie Offline
trapper
GrantRichie  Offline
trapper
G

Northeast Oregon
I always set a trap at a flat set differently than I do at a dirt hole set.

Novice trap setters (like me) would love for you to expand on this thought. My basic understanding of coyote sets is that I should put the center of the trap pan 8-10 inches back with an offset of an inch or two. The traps are certainly blended differently, but as a novice your comment makes me ask, are you also changing your distance from the object of attraction? Granted on a dirt hole you might make it a slight step down for foot guidance, and you can change your distance to the center of the pan on a dirthole due to the angle of your hole, or you may leave a mound of dirt in front of the hole to help obscure the view and make the animal step closer and as already mentioned a dirthole will be covered with whatever kind of soil you have, while a flat set will be covered with dry grass, pine needles, or whatever is the prevailing ground cover. Are those the differences between how you set a flat set and a dirt hole, or are there more subtle or not so subtle differences that I have not noticed?

And one last question for you veteran canine trappers, do you find a dirt hole set or a flat set any more effective than the other? Because a dirt hole in my tough digging conditions always takes me longer to put in, so if you found them to be rather equal I might be inclined to dig less rock holes, I mean "dirt" holes and put in more flat sets.

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4328649
02/21/14 02:45 AM
02/21/14 02:45 AM
user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
martenpine Offline
trapper
martenpine  Offline
trapper

user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
Skimming through this thread I noticed alot of charred wood mentioned, I like charred wood as I trap in snow country and it really stands out. One thing I have done is collected wood from burns (common here) or the firepit and let them soak in a coffee can half full of urine, then let them dry out.

Moose antler or dried bleached bones have been succesful, having them freeze in or actually freezing them down has prevented a few thefts of my "attractor" through the years.

Recently my trapping partner threw a funky shaped piece of log in my tow behind. It looks odd and I think it will grab some attention. I forgot about it and when we were loading the snowmachines and gear at this pull off on the highway, I stuck it in a snow bank. Since then it has been visited by what seems to be a mirage of dogs and other critters that frequent this stop on the highway. It will be heading down the line this week and placed along the trail with some steel, sort of "pre-lured".

Most recently I stuck a pheasant tail feather in the snow on a powerline, (we dont have pheasants here) but it stood out. I've given it a shot of urine or added some call lure nearby for a few months and finally this week this guy showed up

I think you could probably get a bite from anything that stands out and isn't contaminated with fuel or chemicals. At least it's worth a try.

When there is shot in the air, there is hope.
When in doubt, throttle out!
ATA, NTA, NATCA
Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4475493
05/15/14 10:26 AM
05/15/14 10:26 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Burnt wood stands out well here too, martenpine.
BTW Nice fox !

Re: The No.1 flat set I use is: [Re: LT GREY] #4756987
11/22/14 09:23 PM
11/22/14 09:23 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
ttt

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10