Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Maypop #3855709
06/22/13 09:45 AM
06/22/13 09:45 AM

M
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
M

What all is harvested and when? What is it worth? Put up a pic of the flower on Trapper Talk and it did not generate much interest. Beautiful flowers and dang hard to make jelly.

Re: Maypop [Re: ] #3855948
06/22/13 12:36 PM
06/22/13 12:36 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
I don't buy it, but some buyers do buy the herb not the root. The herb dried out usually brings about 1.00 a lb. for nice well handled product.

Re: Maypop [Re: don Wolf] #3855987
06/22/13 12:55 PM
06/22/13 12:55 PM

M
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
I don't buy it, but some buyers do buy the herb not the root. The herb dried out usually brings about 1.00 a lb. for nice well handled product.

That include the whole plant less root, flower and fruit? I dried about 4 bushel last year. Tried to powder it myself. Success evaded me. How would you go about powdering that stuff. Maybe I should stick with the leaves Eh?.

Re: Maypop [Re: ] #3856244
06/22/13 04:23 PM
06/22/13 04:23 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
as far as I know, it would include the flowers and fruit. I don't know how you could get the fruit to dry good though. I think it would cause the rest of the plant to mold if it wasn't handled correct.; You might pull the fruit off and try to dry it seperate from the leaves and vine. Why powder it? you need an exspensive machine to powder stuff in large amts.

Re: Maypop [Re: don Wolf] #3856262
06/22/13 04:43 PM
06/22/13 04:43 PM

M
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
Mtwildman OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
as far as I know, it would include the flowers and fruit. I don't know how you could get the fruit to dry good though. I think it would cause the rest of the plant to mold if it wasn't handled correct.; You might pull the fruit off and try to dry it seperate from the leaves and vine. Why powder it? you need an exspensive machine to powder stuff in large amts.

Sticky as the fruit is I doubt it would ever dry. I have seeds from last year that I never cleaned and they are still somewhat sticky. I have used it as a sleep aid. Being able to powder it and capsule it is much more convenient than chopping it and making tea. I also dabble a little with seeds and such on Ebay. Way too much of this stuff to unload on Ebay though. When they say it is invasive they are very correct.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread