International forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the International Trappers forum)

Trading Post

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4458124 - 05/02/14 12:43 PM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
mtcurman Offline
trapper

Loc: Winnett, Montana
Very interesting.. Thank you for posting. I always enjoy seeing how trappers from different parts of the world do things..

#4459359 - 05/03/14 09:12 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper

Loc: Europe
Because I don't Think anyone else has shown one yet ....? Here's a 'Humane, Dingo, Foot Snare' (minus any snare). The second shot is to demonstrate the spring arm, in the fired position.

I understand these were designed to be used by what ever govt. dept has a hand in catching Dingo's. However, as far as I know, they didn't really catch on, let along Dingo's.

Might this be a Humane Dingo ....?

Caught with a camera. Because the Foot Snare wasn't a lot of good.

#4629388 - 09/02/14 05:00 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: Aportman]
Timon Offline
trapper

Loc: Riverina, Australia
To sell them on ebay you need to state they are for collecting purposes only, antique, etc etc.
Cause in Australia, the use of steel jawed leg hold traps is illegal, and has been for a long time
(even though most farmers in Rural Australia still use them, due to the high price on new, legal traps.)

#4912624 - 02/14/15 09:16 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
ctnwco860 Offline
trapper

Loc: CT
Funny, we've shipped a bunch over there but haven't seen anyone mention the Padded CDR trap, now provided witht he Expanded Pan (optional). Has anyone on here tried them ? [img:center]http://http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=NWS001&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CDRPAD[/img]

P.O. Box 538
East Granby, CT 06026
ctnwco860@gmail.com
www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

#4925459 - 02/21/15 02:46 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
ate Offline

Loc: spain ( europe)
Thta´s like a Billard Trap Alan , french Brand , I have close to me thes kind of traps. I have used and I prefer other footsnares

#4937201 - 02/27/15 06:19 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: Timon]
nickaustralia Offline
trapper

Loc: queensland Australia
Originally Posted By: Timon
To sell them on ebay you need to state they are for collecting purposes only, antique, etc etc.
Cause in Australia, the use of steel jawed leg hold traps is illegal, and has been for a long time
(even though most farmers in Rural Australia still use them, due to the high price on new, legal traps.)

hey mate might just correct you on that one in QLD and WA it is still legal to use steel jaw traps hence why if you go on traps.com.au or trapping.com.au or any of the other trapping supply places in aus the still sell steel jaw mb's cdr's victor's and so forth and also you are still able to use the lanes steel jaw in qld and wa

cheers nick

#5540218 - 06/02/16 06:51 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: ctnwco860]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: ctnwco860
Funny, we've shipped a bunch over there but haven't seen anyone mention the Padded CDR trap, now provided witht he Expanded Pan (optional). Has anyone on here tried them ? [img:center]http://http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=NWS001&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CDRPAD[/img]

There are a few around and I've used them myself. The guy selling them about a decade ago, actually sold them under his own business name - the WAC trap. I think it stood for Wild Animal Capture.
So trappers here don't even realise it's a CDR.

When set, they lay very flat and steady which is good in hard ground. I like the PIT system. The pan is a bit small for me but the expanded pan is too big in my opinion. I prefer a medium sized pan that won't fit the target animals foot between the pan and jaws but also won't allow it to stand on pan and jaw at the same time.
I've trapped with Clint Locklear and his big pan CDRs in Texas and I understand the logic but I've never actually had the problem to begin with - target animal prints between pan and jaws.
The problem we have seen with the CDRs is the jaw rivets seizing up, sometimes to the extent that the springs don't have the power to even snap the trap shut. This is even with regularly waxed traps. The solution is to grind and tap out the rivets replacing them with stainless bolt and nut.
Just my honest opinion. I know one trapper who prefers them and another who came up with the big pans years ago. They certainly hold well.

#5540229 - 06/02/16 07:00 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: Pest's Dad]
alpine hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Pest's Dad
Because I don't Think anyone else has shown one yet ....? Here's a 'Humane, Dingo, Foot Snare' (minus any snare). The second shot is to demonstrate the spring arm, in the fired position.

I understand these were designed to be used by what ever govt. dept has a hand in catching Dingo's. However, as far as I know, they didn't really catch on, let along Dingo's.

They were used around here in my state, Victoria. Maybe New South Wales as well.
I never used them because they were phased out before my time but they were liked by many of the trappers. The current trapping regs in my state allow for foot snares but only under an 8 hour checking regime - so virtually impossible to use. It was more of a government policy change that phased them out rather than not being effective.

#5540252 - 06/02/16 07:26 AM Re: Australian traps - historic and current [Re: alpine hunter]
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper

Loc: Europe
Cheers, AH. That's a most interesting bit of information

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ate