General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Buckets or boxes for coon?? #4251
12/25/06 06:55 PM
12/25/06 06:55 PM
Armstrong Co, PA
60X Offline OP
trapper
60X  Offline OP
trapper

Armstrong Co, PA
I'm planning on getting some sets ready for next weekend for coon. I was wondering if buckets or boxes made of wood seem more productive then one or the other. I will be using duck 160's on these. I'm thinking the boxes may look more natural and also be easier to hide from theft. Also what size should I make the boxes to fit 160's?

Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: 60X] #4272
12/25/06 07:08 PM
12/25/06 07:08 PM
greenville michigan
P
parttimetrapper Offline
trapper
parttimetrapper  Offline
trapper
P

greenville michigan
I have not seen one out produce the other. I guess I'd go with what is the easiest and cheapest. My dad had a bunch of black plastic pots that he gave me. he got them from the nursery where he bought his evergreens. These are about 2 gallon size and work great for me. They stack together nice and they are light.

Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: parttimetrapper] #4285
12/25/06 07:18 PM
12/25/06 07:18 PM
south of CharlesKS in KS
ShooflyKS Offline
trapper
ShooflyKS  Offline
trapper

south of CharlesKS in KS
5 gallon buckets use the tipical, yu know pig feed , horse sweet feed, cow cubes, corn and mollasas , bananas,etc.

good luck,
shoofly

OMG!!!!!! Andy sent me a jake trap!

Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: parttimetrapper] #4289
12/25/06 07:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I prefer boxes for several reasons. Easier to stabilize and hide as you mentioned. Another thing to consider is many owners of hounds and hunting dogs water and or feed out of buckets. A dog out in front of his owner may decide to look for a drink in the first bucket he comes to. Always good to avoid that sort of run in !!

Wood boxes also seem to hold the odor of bait and lure for a extended period of time.

Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: 60X] #4290
North Central Wisconsin
S
skunkly Offline
trapper
skunkly  Offline
trapper
S

North Central Wisconsin
I've only cought one coon this year out of a bucket. All the rest have been from "made on the spot cubbies" and boxs.

Been a real learning experience this year. One area had one of each (bucket, box, cubby). Each with the same bait. The cubby took 4, the box 2 and the bucket....you guessed it, zero.

Same results in other areas. The natural cubby kicked butt. Followed by the wooden box. And then in a distant last, the bucket.

It might be different where you are, but try gang setting an area with those three and see if you get the same results. It would be cool to see if you do.

I'll still use buckets if I'm short on time, but if I have the time...I'd much rather make a cubby out of tree debris and pine boughs.

Anyway, to specificly answer your question, I'd say go with wooden boxs.

-Skunkly-

"Let a King's offspring be sparing in words, and bold in battle; glad and wholesome the hero be till comes his dying day" The Sayings of Har: Havamal
Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: skunkly] #4301
12/25/06 07:27 PM
12/25/06 07:27 PM
North Central Wisconsin
S
skunkly Offline
trapper
skunkly  Offline
trapper
S

North Central Wisconsin
Oops, forgot to answer your second question.

I make mine big enoufgh to have approx. 1 inch around each side of the coni. I don't really measure, just make due with the scrap wood I have on hand.

-Skunkly-

Last edited by skunkly; 12/25/06 07:35 PM.

"Let a King's offspring be sparing in words, and bold in battle; glad and wholesome the hero be till comes his dying day" The Sayings of Har: Havamal
Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: skunkly] #4372
12/25/06 08:15 PM
12/25/06 08:15 PM
Scottville,MI
J
JohnMcCabe Offline
trapper
JohnMcCabe  Offline
trapper
J

Scottville,MI
Not sure about boxes cause I have only tried square buckets. My opinion has changed. Early season for me they sucked!! Unless you are after possum. I had great luck last week when to weather got up in the high 30's with light rain. Under those conditions my buckets ROCKED!! Live and learn I guess.

"God is voting for you. Satan in voting against you. Its your vote that counts." Pres Boyd K. Packer
Re: Buckets or boxes for coon?? [Re: JohnMcCabe] #4387
12/25/06 08:25 PM
12/25/06 08:25 PM
SE South Dakota
SDHunter Offline
trapper
SDHunter  Offline
trapper

SE South Dakota
For me i use buckets cause i can get my hands on them easily. As for the boxes looking more natural i think a white bucket make a curious coon get more interested in it. But i use 220's with 5 gallon pales a 160 might have to much room around the edge and get reach-a-rounds and have some traps set off with no coon. So that would be an advantage on the boxes, a box that fits a 160 just right. As skunkly said around 1 in round the coni should be fine, prevents reach-a-rounds i think. Well thats my $.02

Season Totals
Coon 48
Rats 10
Yote 2
Red Fox 3
Stinkers 3
Grinners To many
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91