No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4415388 - 04/04/14 07:06 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
BigT Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa 39YRS Young
Mr. Twister is a piece of crap for heavy use! The new Rapala Heavy Duty is a beast! American Angler knives are the best IMO but they are hard to find, we use the Shark blade from American Angler as well and its awesome!

#4415442 - 04/04/14 08:04 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
schweg2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW WI
I'm on my second Rapala knife, have no real complaints.

#4415445 - 04/04/14 08:09 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: schweg2]
Weasel'ed Offline
trapper

Loc: SD
Originally Posted By: schweg2
I'm on my second Rapala knife, have no real complaints.

I've filleted a pile of fish with my rapala. My only complaint is that the blade speed is certainly slower than its competitors.

Im used to it though and it has been tough as nails for me.

#4415454 - 04/04/14 08:16 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: BigT]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: BigT
Mr. Twister is a piece of crap for heavy use! The new Rapala Heavy Duty is a beast! American Angler knives are the best IMO but they are hard to find, we use the Shark blade from American Angler as well and its awesome!
I agree.I fried one of them Mr.Twisters half way through a bucket of bluegills.American Angler is the best I have come across.They take a beating.

#4415473 - 04/04/14 08:30 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
1crazytrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: S.E. Nebraska
IMO None! Learn how to use a regular knife. The best fish cleaners don't use electric. Its also kind of hard to clean fish when you are in the back woods or out of batteries. Its not that hard to learn how to cut over instead of through the rib cage. You have better feel with a regular knife than an electric. My cousin and I have proven the point about 20 times that electric is not faster. After the electric guys get through removing the rib cage or cutting it off they lag behind the guys with a regular knife. A team of 2 experienced guys with a regular knife and a townsen fish skinner will beat a team of 2 experienced electric filet knife guys any day of the week..

#4415483 - 04/04/14 08:35 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: upstateNY]
carpcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Central PA
Black and Decker from walmart is the only way to go. They only have one draw back, the blades on them don't have a point so if your trying to get the cheek meat out they don't work for that. I've always wondered why people would spend 3,4,5 or even 6 time the money for the exact same thing. I have litteraly used the same knife and blade set since 1998 on everything including panfish, eyes, bass, pike whatever. I would guess it has cleaned between 4 and 6 thousand fish in that time. Of course, this is just my opinion grin

#4415486 - 04/04/14 08:36 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
Okiecntry Offline
trapper

Loc: East OK & West AR
I've had the best luck with one that was converted from the kitchen to a fish filet knife. I'm talking about the ones in the kitchen appliances section for turkey/ham and not the cheapo versions in sporting goods. The name has worn off of it so I can't help with the name.

#4415489 - 04/04/14 08:37 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: 1crazytrapper]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: 1crazytrapper
IMO None! Learn how to use a regular knife. The best fish cleaners don't use electric. Its also kind of hard to clean fish when you are in the back woods or out of batteries. Its not that hard to learn how to cut over instead of through the rib cage. You have better feel with a regular knife than an electric. My cousin and I have proven the point about 20 times that electric is not faster. After the electric guys get through removing the rib cage or cutting it off they lag behind the guys with a regular knife. A team of 2 experienced guys with a regular knife and a townsen fish skinner will beat a team of 2 experienced electric filet knife guys any day of the week..
I have filleted thousands of fish with both regular and electric.I would take you up on that bet anytime.I will use the electric with a partner de-ribbing,,,against you two with regular knives.Im not talking salmon sized fish here.I use the regular knife on them.Im talking perch,,bluegill,crappie etc.Even bass.The loosers have too cook up the fish and supply the "refreshments".Everybody wins! laugh

Edited by upstateNY (04/04/14 08:44 AM)

#4415515 - 04/04/14 08:55 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: upstateNY]
carpcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Central PA
Originally Posted By: upstateNY
I have filleted thousands of fish with both regular and electric.I would take you up on that bet anytime.I will use the electric with a partner de-ribbing,,,against you two with regular knives.Im not talking salmon sized fish here.I use the regular knife on them.Im talking perch,,bluegill,crappie etc.Even bass.The loosers have too cook up the fish and supply the "refreshments".Everybody wins! laugh

I'll be your rib man upstateNY, then when we get ours done we'll switch spots to help them finish theirs. whistle

#4415523 - 04/04/14 09:03 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Sounds good carpcatcher,,,LOL

#4415524 - 04/04/14 09:04 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
Tim trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Swampeast Missouri
I'm with ya upstate- I can buzz through coolers of bass WAY quicker with the electric.....I can still do it with a regular knife too - did fir 35 years.
Tim B

#4415530 - 04/04/14 09:07 AM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: Tim trapper]
upstateNY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Tim trapper
I'm with ya upstate- I can buzz through coolers of bass WAY quicker with the electric.....I can still do it with a regular knife too - did fir 35 years.
Tim B
Yup,,and I made sure my boys could fillet with a regular knife before I would teach them how to with an electric.

#4416594 - 04/04/14 08:02 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: upstateNY]
1crazytrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: S.E. Nebraska
Originally Posted By: upstateNY

If you were here I would show you what I mean. I too cleaned thousands of perch, blugill crappie, walleys, bullhead for a lake resort, i have used both and I would never use an electric for panfish, the bloody mess created by an electric and the guts is enough for me not to use one. I can filet any fish faster with a regular blade and have less mess on the cleaning table.I like your bet though cause I am not a fighter I like the everyone wins. I hope the fish are yellow perch (the best eating by far!) I would bring the refreshments no matter who wins if they are perch we are cleaning! lol

#4416635 - 04/04/14 08:21 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: 1crazytrapper]
dob
Unregistered

I just bought 2 of the black an deckers today.

Now I just need the water to clear up a lil an it's on like donkey kong again!! Lol

#4416651 - 04/04/14 08:26 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
john owen Offline
trapper

Loc: WI./Florida
American angler is the only one that has lasted for me

#4421055 - 04/07/14 05:51 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: john owen]
dob
Unregistered

The black & deckers are junk!!!!! Both are going back to Wally World an get exchanged for the repala or something else!!

#4421059 - 04/07/14 05:53 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: Tim trapper]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Tim trapper

I DID see the little tackle shop had one of the mister twister PIRANNA's for 40 bucks. Its blue and white and looks more like a shark instead of a grass hopper- lol.
I'm still thinking about buying it.......
Tim B

That's the one I have been using for 3-4 years now. Works good.

~ADC~

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#4421070 - 04/07/14 06:00 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
Tim trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Swampeast Missouri
Now I'm gonna hafta buy the thing- lol
Thanks Jamie!
Tim B

#4421092 - 04/07/14 06:17 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: Tim trapper]
dob
Unregistered

I'm a look for one also.

#4421096 - 04/07/14 06:19 PM Re: What's the best fillet knife???? [Re: ]
jwr Offline
trapper

Loc: Rison, Ar
Dob I know where one of these are settin up

http://www.mtcfoodequipment.com/equipment-list/

fillet all the fish you can catch

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >