International forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the International Trappers forum)

Trading Post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4775473 - 12/03/14 05:48 AM Trapping In Russia
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Loc: Russia Krasnodar region
Good afternoon colleagues. I apologize for my English. I live in the south of Russia, the district at seaside, steppe, the woods are practically not present - they are replaced by forest belts. In my area grow up rice. Respectively there are a lot of pipes, irrigation and drainage canals. At us live: (in Latin: Nyctereutes procyonoides, Neovison vison, Mustela lutreola, Meles meles L., Valpes vulpes vulpes (L.), Canis lupus) raccoon dog, American and European minks, badger, red fox, and wolf. Main objects of food: fish, Crustacea, rodents, drop. What methods of installation of traps except "a dirty hole" and the smelling points you can recommend?

#4775952 - 12/03/14 12:51 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Hello,Konstantine,I look forward to hear about trapping in your area,Your English is fine.Hope you can post some photos of your area.
I trap in North of Ontario Canada just south of James Bay.

Here we trap Wolf,Lynx, Marten, Mink, Fox, Beaver, Otter, Muskrat, Ermine, Skunk,Fisher,squirrel.

#4776153 - 12/03/14 03:26 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Loc: Amite county Mississippi
Ask the guys on strictly trapping or trapper talk they would be more than happy to give sugestions but possibly a hay set for fox
I Like Moddin Traps 'N Trapping Possums
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4776154 - 12/03/14 03:27 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Sorry if my advice is poor all we get in Mississippi is mud mud and more mud laugh
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4779249 - 12/05/14 01:36 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
ate Offline

Loc: spain ( europe)
Hi Kontantine,
To catch Racoon Dog I have carried out a certification using Collarum live trap in Finalnd ,
For canines, you can check out several techniques, like flat set , big hole , curiosity set , etc etc .
Please check out for pictures here : www.ittm.info
However , to trap weasels I enforce you to use killing traps like bodygrips, tuve traps, etc . Here there are colleagues more experienced tan me using them , I can advice you about canines,( vulpes vulpes, canis aureus, canis lupues ) .
regards

#4779267 - 12/05/14 02:57 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Fredrik Lundmark Offline
trapper

Loc: Sweden 65°N
Hello Konstantine,
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to see alot of pictures of how you trap.

take care out there
Fredrik

#4781492 - 12/06/14 11:12 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: ate]
P.A.L Offline
trapper

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: ate
Hi Kontantine,
To catch Racoon Dog I have carried out a certification using Collarum live trap in Finalnd ,
For canines, you can check out several techniques, like flat set , big hole , curiosity set , etc etc .
Please check out for pictures here : www.ittm.info
However , to trap weasels I enforce you to use killing traps like bodygrips, tuve traps, etc . Here there are colleagues more experienced tan me using them , I can advice you about canines,( vulpes vulpes, canis aureus, canis lupues ) .
regards

Is it legal to use collarum in EU and Finland?

#4781501 - 12/06/14 11:20 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
P.A.L Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Konstantine
Good afternoon colleagues. I apologize for my English. I live in the south of Russia, the district at seaside, steppe, the woods are practically not present - they are replaced by forest belts. In my area grow up rice. Respectively there are a lot of pipes, irrigation and drainage canals. At us live: (in Latin: Nyctereutes procyonoides, Neovison vison, Mustela lutreola, Meles meles L., Valpes vulpes vulpes (L.), Canis lupus) raccoon dog, American and European minks, badger, red fox, and wolf. Main objects of food: fish, Crustacea, rodents, drop. What methods of installation of traps except "a dirty hole" and the smelling points you can recommend?

Best trap for Raccoon Dog is KANU trap. Many times you can get double catch. Works also for marten and badger. Our animal-welfare laws bans all the good methods for red fox and wolf. (Killing a wolf is a bigger crime than killing a man here.)

#4782068 - 12/06/14 05:47 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

What about foot snares ? I have a pictorial on a prototype I made with a trap frame and a spring
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4782070 - 12/06/14 05:50 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

What types of traps do you have ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4784638 - 12/08/14 12:51 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

I thank all for answers, I didn't expect such interest in hunting in Russia. I forgot to add still that also we have jackals. Experience at me more, than modest: I hunt with friends on badgers and raccoon dogs with dogs, I decided to master traps and snares for catching of large predators (wolves, jackals) since in my region jackals aren't a natural look (as well as raccoons with an entovidny dog) and destroy a hare, a pheasant and even a fox in a large number. Traps I use bodygrips (250 mm) and leggrips (it isn't sure that this right English name) No. 2. Boco, unfortunately, at us not so snowy and cold (very warm climate since we are in 100 km from two seas). Winter as a rule very soft, only occasionally there are strong, but short frosts (from-10 to - 30C), even reservoirs completely become covered not every year with ice. I will surely lay out photos of the district, the places, most attractive to installation, the traps and also process of installation.

#4784681 - 12/08/14 04:02 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2662884,37.9653786,393m/data=!3m1!1e3 - One of traps was put where two forest belts from a field meet
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.263774,37.9710353,394m/data=!3m1!1e3 - Another - under a tree, the first from the intersection
I try to put traps at intersections or the termination of forest belts. The photo of the district can look in Google the earth (summertime is presented)

#4785935 - 12/08/14 07:57 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Yes lots of us are extremely interested on how others hunt trap and fish in other countries !
Any how for the wolves youre going to need a much larger trap. I'm not sure what make and model those #2 of yours are ( are they coils or long springs ? If they are the old square jaw coil springs made by Victor any thing bigger than a fox will destroy them with out some modifications which will require welding )so I cannot truly tell you how well they would work but that trap size should be kept to fox sized animals ( I think they may work on your raccoondogs but I am not certin )
Over here in the states very few people will use any thing smaller than a #3 size trap for a wolf for good reason, as you most likely know they are extremely strong animals that will break traps ( pop jaws out of the trap frame, bend the dogs ,bow the trap frame , and I've heard they will chew chain to nothing ! )and your wolves are supposed to be much worse eek I have no experience trapping wolves but from what I've seen and read a #4-#5 trap with off set jaws, heavy chain and laminations is preferred. Actually researchers here in the states use a #7 size trap with teeth ( supposed to hurt them less than any thing else) for capturing wolves for relocation and radio collaring heres a link if your interested in reading more about this :

http://www.trapperspost.com/archive2.html

As for sets , something that has been used with much success on canines over here is known as a Pipe dream set where you take a piece of 2inch diameter about a foot long PVC piping ( sorry about not having metric measurements )and drive it into the ground at an angle and use it as the bait or lure holder instead of digging a dirthole.
Also for trapping in freezing conditions sprinkling common stable salt in your trap bed will keep it from freezing.

In Russia where do you buy traps and what lures and baits do yall use ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4786432 - 12/09/14 12:28 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Traps are on sale in hunting shops in a free access in hunting shops or are ordered on the Internet. Here I use such traps (No. 2 - less and No. 3 - more): http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=cyAeU6VJMAc
For fastening of traps I use a metal cable 3mm and self-made Cable Stakes and Stake Driver, and also 2mm a metal chain with the durability of 35-40 kg. I process all this such here paraffin: http://www.cabelas. com/product/Hunting/Trapping-Supplies/Trapping-Tools-Accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/292649580/sc/288163980/Odorless-Trap-Wax/1362957.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrapping-tools-accessories%2F_%2FN-1109398%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_288163980%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat292649580&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat292649580%3Bcat288163980.
Baits I use such: http://www.cabelas. com/product/Hunting/Trapping-Supplies/Trapping-Tools-Accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/292649580/sc/288163980/Cavens-Quality-Animal-Lures/1364153.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrapping-tools-accessories%2F_%2FN-1109398%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_288163980%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat292649580&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat292649580%3Bcat288163980 (Canine Force, Red Fox Urine, Yodel Dog).
With them I didn't achieve big result. I didn't understand - whether they attract predators. Also I use a natural bait - giblets of a bird and hare and pieces of fish. With these baits I caught some raccoon dogs. Very much I want to learn to catch in a large number of jackals and foxes, and in an ideal and wolves.
In metric system diameter of a PVC pipe will be 5sm, and length - 30 cm))) And how you it fix? You dig in as deeply and where you establish a trap in relation to a pipe?
At the weekend I plan departure in a forest belt near the river where many raccoons live - I will put there. 3 days ago friends got with dogs there in 2 hours of 6 raccoons.

#4786444 - 12/09/14 12:44 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

I forgot to tell that local trappers as a bait use a dog forage, bone flour in mix with cod-liver oil and meat slices.

#4786602 - 12/09/14 07:26 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Well I will post some pictures of that style set along with some others. But as for the bait and lure that stuff you brought was formulated over here in the states and many times a lure formulated in one place will not work in another. For instance abeaver lure made for northern bever will usually do very poorly down here in the south . So that is most likely what is wrong . Now something you can do sis tell your freinf to save the urine next time the kill a racoondog or what have you ( shuould probly keep male urin in one bottle and the female in a different one ) urine is an excellent attranct so are glands
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4787326 - 12/09/14 02:55 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Also I'm not sure if you k.ow abou wild life control supplies but they are a trappin suppy dealr who deal with international customers And have a large (and i mean large) selection of traps lures baits sbares and so on heres the link :
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4787356 - 12/09/14 03:23 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

And for information on catch numbers look at Wolfernation. Not sure how much of their content will pertain to trapping in russia but the guys who run the site are professional trappers who take litterly thousands of animals each year. They have a radio show which you can download for free and listen to (or burn it on a cd or so on ) their full of information on snaring and trapping most every furbearer form mice to coyote to beaver.
http://www.wolfernation.com/

And my i ask what brand trap do you use ? Are they made over there in Russia or are they imported.?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4787371 - 12/09/14 03:30 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Here is another trapping supply which is one of the best :
http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4787670 - 12/09/14 06:03 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Ok here some pictures of the pipe dream set ,sorry if they arn't the best light was getting low :

Im using a modified 1 3/4 size trap which has been offset laminated and base plated with a inline shock spring and three swivles:

Fisri bound in the pipe a good bit (enough so it will not simply fall over if touched. Mine is only 5"long since i use them for racoon, yours can be longer, ) at a 45 degree angle or similar.

I bed my trap around 6-12inches in front of the pipe (the white fluffy stuff under the pan is polly fill, its basically the synthetic cotton stuff found in pillows and what not. You can use wire screen,wax paper,pete moss or what you pefer I just pefer polly fill ). Make sure to pack the dirt around the jaws really well so the trap is rock soilid if not an animal may dig up your trap.you can dig your trap bed a little deep and put your chain under it but i pefer to dig a small trench from my trap bed and bury my chain in that.

After I sift dirt over my trap i barley uncover the pan so i know where it is then i can compact the soft sifted dirt with my hands to make it fell like the rest of the ground the i can lightly sift back over the pan

Once this is done i can add some blocking such ast small sticks to help gide the paw the the pan

When the step over the stick they should hit the pan and be caught
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4787689 - 12/09/14 06:06 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Here is another version with a #2 long sping , whos pan is expanded , which uses a small trench off to one side as a blocking
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4788694 - 12/10/14 12:44 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91 Many thanks for such developed answer. At installation of traps I don't use shock-absorbers. I use traps (as well as all in Russia) only a domestic production since transfer very expensive and ruble exchange rate in relation to dollar is now very high and one import trap will cost as 2-3 Russian.
Besides, catching by traps is widespread only in the north of Russia (beyond the Urals or about it). And I live in the South and here units are engaged in this interesting hunting and nobody knows that it is possible to catch successfully jackals traps, for example. And especially it isn't enough about modern technologies in a trapping. Last night I came to the friend to test aromatic baits on his Karelian-Finnish laika. The laika became interested in oil from mussels (it is applied to catching of catfish and is on sale in all shops of 70 ml for 1 dollar), first of all the dog rushed to urine of a red fox, but also quickly lost interest, and here from gland of the coyote hardly tore off)))) both licked and rubbed and span around)))))
At us became warmer after frosts + 7C today. Now there will be a badger. Tonight after work I will go to put traps. I will make a photo of traps and process of installation and I will send I will lay out pictures at a forum.

#4788902 - 12/10/14 07:31 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Glad to help a fellow trapper ! As for the shock spring they are nat needed but i use them for the comfort of the animal (also lots of deer and rabbit dogs are being run near my property and may cross over and get caught,the spring helps them not hurt them selves until i get their to release them) and it also helps to keep the animal from "pumping" stakes out of the ground. As for othee modifications i highly recomend laminations ( adding extra metal to the thicken the jaws) they will spread out the force on the animals foot helping to prevent any type of cutting t the paw and will also give a larger are on which the animal is held wich helps woth holding them in the trap. Offsetting is also good. ( if someone starts talking about how the traps will cut off their and you show them a trap that has jaws that don't close all the way and explain it is for the animals comfort they will usually be much more accepting of trapping) . I can post pictures of how to fo these modifications if you want,you can also ask in some of the other forums. As for the lure i would recommend usind a call lure ( something that woll attract them to the set ) and a bait (which will keep them working the set ).i would recommend asking for advice in the lure formulations forum
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4788955 - 12/10/14 08:10 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Thank you very much. Also I want to remake traps on less travmatichny for animals. Today I go to hunt on raccoons with likes. Tomorrow I will upload a picture.

#4793354 - 12/12/14 05:21 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Hi, everybody! T

oday I put traps and as promised I upload a picture.

#4793361 - 12/12/14 05:24 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Today there passed the small rain and the soil is strongly humidified, and tomorrow promise frosts therefore over a trap I put a piece of a thin polyethylene film, and the first layer of the earth powdered with salt and covered all this with a thin layer of earth.

#4793371 - 12/12/14 05:33 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

#4794161 - 12/13/14 06:02 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
ate Offline

Loc: spain ( europe)
Try Wildlife control Supplies europe ( servitrap@gmail.com ) they supply all kind of traps.
and I can help to catch predators ( specially wolves and Jackals () because Thatīs my current work here in EU ,
regards

#4794594 - 12/13/14 01:38 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

That is a very interesting trap ! In Russia do they make coil spring traps or just long springs ?
Anyhow that is a great looking set ! How many sets do you have out on a daily basis?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4794837 - 12/13/14 04:42 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Aslo i forgot to mention so,ething many trappers and lure formulators use as a base : mice. Just abou every predator eats mice so they make a naturally good bait.What most people do is kill a bunch freeze and then grind them (whole). You could most likely ask some farmers if they would let you catch mice out of their grain bins or what have you. Another Excellent base is used cooking grease
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4795132 - 12/13/14 07:11 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Those traps leave a lot to be desired...

Translation : You could use some better traps !

#4795604 - 12/13/14 11:12 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

hi, everybody! as well as I promised - I upload a picture of the most standard places for hunting

#4795609 - 12/13/14 11:15 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

and here hot scent of a badger

#4795611 - 12/13/14 11:17 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

here in such pipes temporarily or constantly there live minks, raccoon dogs or jackals. on a photo it is visible the tracks filled by animals

#4795620 - 12/13/14 11:26 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, now on test in this place costs 5 traps. on 1 ate all bait without having left traces (probably a mouse or a rat), and on the second there was a single operation. on the others so far anything. Therefore two it was necessary to change statement to the first traps since I think an animal will return

LT GREY, for the lack of other traps I catch these and I derive pleasure from communication with the nature and valuable experience in statement of traps. I wrote that in Russia well limited quantity of traps, and cost 1 import is already now leveled to 4-5 domestic above.

#4795625 - 12/13/14 11:31 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, In Russia make also coil spring traps and just long springs. According to trappers in Russia coil spring traps are weakest and aren't reliable, but I didn't try them. Thanks for idea about mice! I will surely try

#4795993 - 12/14/14 09:35 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, now on test in this place costs 5 traps. on 1 ate all bait without having left traces (probably a mouse or a rat), and on the second there was a single operation. on the others so far anything. Therefore two it was necessary to change statement to the first traps since I think an animal will return

LT GREY, for the lack of other traps I catch these and I derive pleasure from communication with the nature and valuable experience in statement of traps. I wrote that in Russia well limited quantity of traps, and cost 1 import is already now leveled to 4-5 domestic above.
Those are some very nice pictures! So you mainly trap farmland correct ? Over their do you have to get permission to trap farmland or do the farmers not care ? As for the "pipes" you could easily place snares and catch what ever comes through ,for mink a loaded 1/16th (not sure what that would be in metric)should work very well with minimum fur damage. There was a thread on the subject, I'll try and find it and post a link. As for badger ,from what I've seen with American badger is that once caught they my dig up your cable stake or simply dig themselves in the soil,it often looks like a crater from a bomb blast . to avoid this many have started to use drags with 10feet of chain. I'll post a picture of different type of drags soon. As for traps,Iwould recommend looking at the trap shed. Many times people will be selling traps at 1/3 of the standard price (many of which are modified,waxed,or died ). Also many will be willing to trade items for traps ( skulls,claws,teeth,tools,knives,antlers,coins ,tanned furs and so on ).
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4796390 - 12/14/14 02:46 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Farmers as those at us meet quite seldom, joint-stock companies are engaged in cultivation of lands (with an area of lands from 10-12000 hectares).
In Russia hunting economy and use of lands (agriculture construction something, etc.) absolutely different things and them supervise absolutely different ministries and supervisory authorities. For example, the enterprise can plow and sow everything that wants, but has no right to break laws, including in the field of protection of fauna (burning of the eddish which remained from rice, application of some types of agrochemicals, spiral plowing of a field, etc.), the agroenterprises use only the earth and in use of fauna for hunting aren't engaged (production, permission or a ban of hunting, restriction of access for hunters to hunting grounds with the agroenterprises without coordination with the inspector are illegal). In my area hunting is controlled by the senior state inspector of the ministry of natural resources - it issues permits to hunting, controls performance of the law by hunters (norms of shooting, observance of borders of hunting grounds, production of the forbidden types or the forbidden methods, etc.) . Over it there is a regional ministry, and above the regional - the Federal ministry of natural resources, the same system and with other ministries. Quite perhaps will seem to you too difficult and confused bureaucratic system, but as is)))) If it is interesting as hunting at the legislative level at us is organized - ask, don't hesitate, I with pleasure will answer.

#4796392 - 12/14/14 02:47 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, only returned from a field - the mink trampled all traps, but didn't get. Probably 140 kaniber will buy))))

#4796401 - 12/14/14 02:52 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, What diameter of a loop to do for a mink and at what height from the earth to establish? You do simply a loop or with the lock?

#4796459 - 12/14/14 03:47 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

I think i understand to a degree: so those inspectors are basically like our game warrdens correct ? In Russia what is gun ownership like ? Is it eaiser to get say a shotgun than rifle ? Do you need a permit or just need to be of a certain age ? Now as for the conibears bending the trigger wires is supposed to help increase your catch. I will post a few pictures.
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4796470 - 12/14/14 03:51 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Go Ordnance!!!!

#4796509 - 12/14/14 04:09 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Now if you are able to get ahold of cable i strongly recommend making some snares ;
I'm still new to snaring and have not caught any thing yet but i'm only able to have my snares out on Saturday and Sunday. What I use is 1/16th loaded cable snares with a deer stop ( a metal stop that makes the snare close only to a certain point so it can fall of of a deers leg if one comes down the trail.) a relaxing lock (once the animal stops fighting the snare relaxs and doesn't kill the animal),a wammy (a piece of plastic tubing used to attach the snare to a support) and a swivel. I also camouflage my snares with some cheap spray paint so that they blend in better.

Go Ordnance!!!!

#4796511 - 12/14/14 04:11 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

As you can see when camouflaged correctly the snare is almost invisible
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4797586 - 12/15/14 03:40 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Unfortunately I know nothing about your supervisory authorities? In Russia under the new law has the right to own the smooth-bore weapon (for self-defense or hunting - too there are certain restrictions) the citizen of Russia who reached 21 years (earlier this age began with 18, since in our country is age of majority), not standing on the account in narcology and not having problems with the law, passed special training ($100) and having the medical certificate (the therapist, the oculist, the expert in narcology, etc.) . We hand over the medical certificate, the certificate on training, the reference from the local police officer in special allowing body at regional police which is engaged in traffic in weapons control, within a month (as a rule about 2-3 weeks) they are obliged to grant the license for acquisition of the weapon then I buy the shot weapon in shop, at plant or from hands (the detachable coupon from the license remains in shop if I buy from the individual, we sign the contract in allowing body). After that I bear the weapon with the license in allowing body where verify numbers on the weapon and in permission after that I am given out permission to knowledge of the weapon for 5 years. With the cut weapon the same, but previously I have to own the smooth-bore weapon not less than 5 years (it belongs to any kind of the cut weapon, even to 22LR, except pneumatics - hunting pneumatics, with power over 7,5 J it is equated to the smooth-bore weapon and it is also necessary to get permission on an established order for it). Military and police officers have the right to get the weapon without training and cut have the right not to wait for 5 years. At us hunting with the throwing weapon (bow and arbalests) is allowed only in private enterprises on the animals who are grown up in them, and in all territory of Russia is forbidden.

#4797587 - 12/15/14 03:44 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

By the way, absolutely I forgot - in Russia catching in snares is considered poaching))))

#4798283 - 12/15/14 01:09 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Snares are very effective and very humane when set properly.

#4799602 - 12/16/14 04:27 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
P.A.L Offline
trapper

I think snares are illegal in all Europe, at least in Scandinavia. Snares truly seems to work. It would be easy way to cut fox populations. Every effective way to capture predators are illegal nowadays.

#4799787 - 12/16/14 07:30 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Well game wardens a basically "wildlife police " dealing with affairs of hunting ,fishing and trapping (as well as being over programs introducing kids to the out doors such as squirrel shoots or small fishing competitions) they have the right to arrest law breakers ,write tickets,and check licensing and bag limits (some animals can ony be taken in certain numbers per day ) of outdoors men (and women). As for you gun policy say you wanted a bolt action or semiautomatic rifle for hunting say deer or boar size game would you need further licensing for that ? Also any luck with you traps yet ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4799850 - 12/16/14 08:43 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Not absolutely I understood about what it is: license for a deer and boar or half-automatic and rifle of bolted type. Anyway the license is required. Traps are regularly visited by minks, but don't work yet. yesterday on pipes the kaniber put 120 mm. Couple more of traps 4 days wait for a jackal or a raccoon dog and I think early or late I will catch them since traces of animals are.

#4800362 - 12/16/14 03:19 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Can you adjust the pan tension (the amount of weight it takes to set the trap off) on your footholds ? If so i recomend turn down the tension as low as possibly able ( many of the best mink trappers here in the states use a #2size trap with an expand pan and zero pan tension for mink trapping , that size of a foot hold would work more like a body grip and quickly kill the mink much the same as a conibear ). Mink are most always a decently priced animal and should be taken if possible. Is there a water source of any kind near by ? And do you know if it is breeding season for any of your target animals ? With canines especially during breeding season sex is the only thig of their concern
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4800369 - 12/16/14 03:25 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Here are pictures of my trap drags which i forgot to post last week. I use these in places where i my want the animal to hid its self from view or the ground is not suitable for a stake of any form . i use 10'of chain in conjunction with them and my traps
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4801350 - 12/16/14 11:08 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

I now adjust on the greatest sensitivity and just wanted to increase to ploshchat descent))) rutting at dog (foxes, jackals, raccoons) at us takes place in January-February. I look forward this time))))
Many thanks for photos of an anchor - it is necessary to have a couple such for installation on a wolf near a farm

#4801577 - 12/17/14 07:04 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

No problem! I use these for trapping racoon and so fare i have not had one go more that a few feet . These drags a small how ever (many tell me they would work wonderfuly for coyotes) and i think you would need one much larger for wolves. Do you have any welding experience? If so i can give you the measurements.for my drags.
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4806908 - 12/19/14 10:06 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
beece Offline
trapper

Loc: South Mississippi
Konstantine, do you eat coon dogs? Some of us eat raccoons.

Wolfdog, did you make those drags? I've been meaning to make some. Yours look good. Better than the ones in the catalogs.

#4807557 - 12/20/14 10:41 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Yes i did ! Got a video on youtube on how to make them (with flat stock ) look up how to nake a real trap drag
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4818976 - 12/26/14 01:43 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, I have a brief experience of welding works. Now I will receive 5 traps of 3 - 120 mm through passage and 2 - 140 mm. Temporarily I stopped hunting, since a small blockage at work)))
beece, unfortunately raccoon dogs on a smell and meat strongly differ from raccoons not to the best))) from them live such stench costs rotten fish and rancid cod-liver oil that the hole of a raccoon dog can be determined by a smell))))

#4818978 - 12/26/14 01:48 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
P.A.L Offline
trapper

Wolfdog91, I have a brief experience of welding works. Now I will receive 5 traps of 3 - 120 mm through passage and 2 - 140 mm. Temporarily I stopped hunting, since a small blockage at work)))
beece, unfortunately raccoon dogs on a smell and meat strongly differ from raccoons not to the best))) from them live such stench costs rotten fish and rancid cod-liver oil that the hole of a raccoon dog can be determined by a smell))))

Those raccoon dogs sure are some smelly creatures. Would not eat them very easily, just before starvation. Chinese love them...

#4819840 - 12/26/14 05:44 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

That's great to hear ! Welding is one of the best skills a trapper could learn ! Allows you to make and modify many different pecies of equipment as well as modify you traps ! As for racoon here in the southen U.S many people love to eat them ! In fact i make more money on their meat than the hides !

Fully dressed with the paws attached this big guy can easily bring me $15-$20
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4819850 - 12/26/14 05:50 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

In Russia do yall have any kind of animals that you woukd consider junk or trash animals ?
Here we have possum.
Their not the "brightness" animals and you seem to catch them in almost any kind of set you can imagine. Thier fur isn't worth much so many time people release them like racoon many peole actually eat them but they do not look very tasty to me sick
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4820683 - 12/27/14 04:22 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Konstantine Offline
trapper

P.A.L , Well, Chinese in general much that eat)))
Wolfdog91, is some types: ordinary vole (Microtus arvalis), water vole (Arvicola terrestris), gray rat (Rattus norvegicus) well and stray dogs and cats. All of them eat around a bait, spoil the caught animals and quite often appear in a trap

#4821210 - 12/27/14 12:59 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

I used to trap feral cats to give to farmer with rat problems. Some were quit large ! How my i ask are you going to set you conibears? Blind sets,boxes?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4821364 - 12/27/14 03:30 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

Loc: Russia
Pic. of my trip where I Trapping muskrat
http://pilgrim55.blogspot.ru/2014/12/blog-post.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/pilgrim55rus

#4821393 - 12/27/14 03:49 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Those are some wonderful Pictures Taegnik !
I wish I could Read Russian seems like a very good read, I was not aware yall had muskrats in Russia !
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4821412 - 12/27/14 04:07 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

In Russia,muskrat brought from North America in 1928

#4821422 - 12/27/14 04:20 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper

Loc: NC, Orange Co.
Wolfdog91, once I open the link, I move my cursor to the text and right click my mouse. I get a drop down that has an option to translate to English. I am using Windows 7.

Worked for me. I saved the translated version to my PC to read later.

Taegnik, thank you for posting that!

#4821905 - 12/27/14 08:40 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
When I opened it, it was already translated to English.

Very nice blog and pictures.

It looks like you did a great job of putting up your muskrats. They are very similar to our put up muskrats.

Yours

Mine

About 90% of the muskrats I catch in my area are black. Only 10% are the brown variety. Do you have any black muskrats in Russia? Here's one of my black ones.

Thank you for sharing.

#4821946 - 12/27/14 09:03 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Ok got it in English.! So the land lord askedyou to kill a bull for him ? crazy have yall used floats for rats ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4847550 - 01/09/15 02:52 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins
When I opened it, it was already translated to English.

Very nice blog and pictures.

It looks like you did a great job of putting up your muskrats. They are very similar to our put up muskrats.

About 90% of the muskrats I catch in my area are black. Only 10% are the brown variety. Do you have any black muskrats in Russia? Here's one of my black ones.

Thanks for the tip on the blog.I did not think that you will read. Many phrases are not translated.
Paul,wire stretchers i made them myself, in the drawing. in Russia they are not for sale.If I understood correctly

black muskrat are in Russia, but in my area I have not seen.

#4847583 - 01/09/15 03:11 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Wolfdog91]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Wolfdog91
Ok got it in English.! So the land lord askedyou to kill a bull for him ?

No. He killed him, and we helped him to skin it.
Quote:
have yall used floats for rats ?

I don't use them. A lot of place is taken

#4847603 - 01/09/15 03:23 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Ok i understand now. In russia are the anti trappers as bad as over here ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4849329 - 01/10/15 01:21 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

They are, but they not really aggressive

#4865294 - 01/18/15 07:52 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Something i've heard rat trappers do is to find a floating log and use a good hand axe to chop out a small place for the trap to rest and wire it to the logonce the trap has been placed in the chopped out spot.
Go Ordnance!!!!

#4891015 - 02/01/15 11:29 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Wolfdog91]
swift4me Offline
trapper

Loc: American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I haven't been here in a while, but this is a great topic. Someone asked about snares being legal in the EU a while back. For the moment they are legal here in France. I know they are not in Norway, but for now we can use them with only restrictions on loop maximum and height of the loop bottom from the ground to protect roe deer.

I enjoyed the blog but it was still in Russian when I saw it. You have some beautiful marshes there. I bet you have good duck hunting at times.

Too bad things are not so good between our countries now, (politically), because I've thought about coming to Russia to hunt ducks and see some country for several years.

Thanks for posting.

Pete

#4929968 - 02/23/15 01:42 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: swift4me]
Taiga men Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: swift4me
I enjoyed the blog but it was still in Russian when I saw it. You have some beautiful marshes there. I bet you have good duck hunting at times.

Too bad things are not so good between our countries now, (politically), because I've thought about coming to Russia to hunt ducks and see some country for several years.

Thanks for posting.

Pete

In the past year we have on this lake had a good duck hunting

Come to Russia and to persuade himself that we welcome guests.

#4930685 - 02/23/15 07:34 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: P.A.L]
sebastian Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg, OH
Originally Posted By: P.A.L

I think snares are illegal in all Europe, at least in Scandinavia. Snares truly seems to work. It would be easy way to cut fox populations. Every effective way to capture predators are illegal nowadays.

The game warden in Ireland said I could only use snares, no foot traps.
Great picts btw!

#4938728 - 02/28/15 04:50 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Great Duck hunt, Taegnik!

#5030133 - 04/28/15 08:18 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Looks like some awesome duck hunting.

#5224833 - 10/09/15 06:29 PM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Taiga men]
hum Offline
trapper

Loc: barrie/ontario/canada
very nice.my friend take care of your self.bye for now

#5359171 - 01/10/16 05:03 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: sebastian]
mawdy man Offline
trapper

Loc: united kingdom
Originally Posted By: sebastian
Originally Posted By: P.A.L

The game warden in Ireland said I could only use snares, no foot traps.
Great picts btw!

no game wardens in Ireland theirs garda thou nearly the same thing eek

we can use snares hear but theirs a LOT of grey area around them! Scotland has new rules are to be blunt they have made snaring veary near to impossible!

foot hold traps have been banned since about 1962 in Scotland mores the pity

#5359175 - 01/10/16 05:22 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: Konstantine]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Can yall use the collarum mawdy man ?
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5360876 - 01/11/16 10:11 AM Re: Trapping In Russia [Re: mawdy man]
Eddie43 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: mawdy man

no game wardens in Ireland theirs garda thou nearly the same thing eek

we can use snares hear but theirs a LOT of grey area around them! Scotland has new rules are to be blunt they have made snaring veary near to impossible!

foot hold traps have been banned since about 1962 in Scotland mores the pity

mawdy man, we have the NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Services! Those guy's can get you in deep trouble, if your snares aren't compliant with legislation!

I recon Ireland is gonna be as strict as Scotland with snaring legislation, in the not so distant future! Also trapping's gonna get a major shake up too in this country IMO!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ate