Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#4974196 - 03/22/15 12:09 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Indiana
Thanks. When we get our cat season I will remember that.

Don

There's a lot of smart people, far fewer wise men... NonPCfed

#4974243 - 03/22/15 05:36 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
I've caught a lot of cats at coyote dirt holes. When I make a cat set I make a walk through. Like Savell have caught quite a few by a back foot. Don't think I've ever back footed one at a dirthole made for a coyote. Makes me think the walk through is more effective.

#4974410 - 03/22/15 09:04 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

I have not had much luck with the walk through for coyotes. Is there a way to make a walk through more multipurpose???

Don

#4974454 - 03/22/15 09:44 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

When I make one it's blocked down pretty heavy. A lot of coyotes avoid the trap. Was talking to Bob Jameson one time about using a flatset dirt hole set combination. Soon as I described it he called the flat set part of the set a positioning scent. Good a term as any. Its kind of a walkthrough. I like to do it when I get one working the set from the wrong side of the backing. I put a bone or rock or stick or something straight out from my hole. Trap in between. gland lure or urine on flat set. I use something pretty small. Relying on the scent to get them on the trap.

#4974934 - 03/22/15 04:44 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
FOXCATCHER Offline
trapper

Good info thanks Danny. I use a double dirt hole in the same manner. I think that could be a bang up cat set in good cat area.

Don

#4975100 - 03/22/15 06:27 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Cats are funny creatures. I've caught them with nothing but coyote pee at a flat set in spots I never would deliberately make a cat set. Had them walk right by a dirt hole baited up and lured up for a cat. Now I try to fence em onto my trap. You can really block them down in the right places. I still lure bait etc.You get one that makes you think they are like possums and the next aint interested in anything. Lots of guiding is what I do.

#5027838 - 04/27/15 02:00 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: wayne52]
KSlongliner Offline
trapper

Loc: KS
Originally Posted By: wayne52

#3 for this set this year

I like this set a lot! Not an exposed set dude even though I have caught handfuls in them. exposed are way to un natural for my like and for fact a INTERNET FAD. jmo. Good set Wayne.

#5027958 - 04/27/15 07:07 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: FOXCATCHER]
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: FOXCATCHER
I have not had much luck with the walk through for coyotes. Is there a way to make a walk through more multipurpose???

Don

I have found making blocked down,lured walk through trail sets increases my odds of catching a coyote,while,most of my traditional flashy bobcat sets are walk through sets,that most coyotes will avoid. I have quite a few back foot catches,in my walk through sets and I find having a shot at catching a bobcat or any other animal,by any of its four feet,increases my chances for a catch,at any walk through type set. Good Luck

#5028051 - 04/27/15 08:37 AM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
mtcurman Offline
trapper

Loc: Winnett, Montana
Here's a walk through set that paid off for me.. I found this cat's tracks in a skiff of snow, and set the trap directly in them. About a month later, I walked down and the log drag was gone, the cat was about 30 yards down the hill..

#5312573 - 12/12/15 02:59 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
DesertFoxTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern NV
Wanted to bring this to the top for this cat season.

I often read people saying that they couldn't find a spot for a walkthrough. In my opinion, you can always, and probably always should make a walkthrough, for cats. Last season I set an obvious nice natural spot for a walkthrough between two large boulders that created a type of narrow cave. There was not any other naturally walkthrough type areas around, so CatTrapperNV tore up nearly an acre (not really but it probably felt like it) of sagebrush and made his own spot for a walkthrough about ten yards from my set. My set natural walkthrough set produced no cats, while his forced manmade walkthrough set caught 2. Here are two before and after pics of where I had to make a walkthrough, neither were even closed to the hardest or most forced but they show the point I'm trying to make.

This one required tearing up some brush and rearranging some rocks.

This one consisted of me chopping down a Joshua tree and dragging it to the middle of the wash to use for blocking and a drag, and filling in the rest with brush. There is a set at the base of rocks on both sides of the wash.

#5313104 - 12/12/15 09:08 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
wayne52 Offline
Crusty "Old" Wolfer

Loc: lea co new mexico

www.derricks-nm.com

us on facebook

#5313206 - 12/12/15 11:00 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
SONGDOGCUSTOMS Offline
trapper

Loc: Franklin County Va

Here's one of my dirthole walk through cat sets with a flag. There's a Bridger number 3 bedded right in the middle there amd some gator bait and cat collector down the hole on a white t bone. I couldn't get the hole as deep as i could so i threw some grass in the hole for some intrigue. I also put some cat urine and some of John Grahams Badlands Bob on the outside blocking. Took that picture after it had rained 4" in two nights. Set never connected before i pulled that farm. Location is in a bale lot next to a thicket on a dairy farm, i set it up mainly for coyotes but pick up a cat or two every other year at this spot.

#5313242 - 12/12/15 11:40 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
board stretcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Panhandle of Idaho
rick olson, trapping cats in snow with out snares is a real art and thank you for the pics.

Edited by board stretcher (12/13/15 04:48 PM)

#5313759 - 12/13/15 12:47 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
CoonSlayer 2 Offline
trapper

Loc: USA Nebraska Gothenburg 69138
very nice cats

#5313833 - 12/13/15 02:31 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
longspurwv Offline
trapper

Loc: French Creek,West Virginia

#5313835 - 12/13/15 02:31 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
longspurwv Offline
trapper

#5313836 - 12/13/15 02:33 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
longspurwv Offline
trapper

A dirt hole and a double dirt hole set in some prime West Virginia cat country! That tom track above is 5 inches wide.

#5313901 - 12/13/15 03:44 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: DesertFoxTrapper]
cat_trapper_nv Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Nevada
Originally Posted By: DesertFoxTrapper
Wanted to bring this to the top for this cat season.

I often read people saying that they couldn't find a spot for a walkthrough. In my opinion, you can always, and probably always should make a walkthrough, for cats. Last season I set an obvious nice natural spot for a walkthrough between two large boulders that created a type of narrow cave. There was not any other naturally walkthrough type areas around, so CatTrapperNV tore up nearly an acre (not really but it probably felt like it) of sagebrush and made his own spot for a walkthrough about ten yards from my set. My set natural walkthrough set produced no cats, while his forced manmade walkthrough set caught 2. Here are two before and after pics of where I had to make a walkthrough, neither were even closed to the hardest or most forced but they show the point I'm trying to make.

This one required tearing up some brush and rearranging some rocks.

This one consisted of me chopping down a Joshua tree and dragging it to the middle of the wash to use for blocking and a drag, and filling in the rest with brush. There is a set at the base of rocks on both sides of the wash.

Set works great while the trap is there. On our Saturday check we say that someone stole the top trap

#5313969 - 12/13/15 04:27 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
"That tom track above is 5 inches wide."

Yeah,right.I've lived and trapped in mountain lion country for 25 years,skinned and mounted them for longer than that-some were Boone and Crockett MOUNTAIN LIONS.NONE of those EVER had more than a 4" wide track.I lived and trapped bobcats in West Virginia for 15 years and several other states,East and West.There isn't a bobcat alive that has a 3" wide track.

The picture above,that you are referring to,is a bear track.Note that the toe on the left is much bigger than the other.

#5314237 - 12/13/15 06:52 PM Re: CAT SET PHOTOS [Re: Lazarus]
longspurwv Offline
trapper

1.) it's in an area where we have few bears , and I hunt bears and kill bears quite frequently. 2.) it was on a muddy gas well and there were no sow tracks or any other bear tracks there. 3.) I am getting pics on trail cam of several cats right there

Edited by longspurwv (12/13/15 06:55 PM)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie