Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Question about soft coon with humidity #506851
01/08/08 12:51 AM
01/08/08 12:51 AM
Nevada
thrstyunderwater Offline OP
trapper
thrstyunderwater  Offline OP
trapper

Nevada
I went to take some coons off of my stretchers today and they were all soft from the humidity. Temps here today got up to 70 and then we got a ton of rain. Needless to say the humidity went up. All the coons are not soft and won't stand out straight like a board. They would 2 days ago, so I know that they've been on the stretchers long enough. Do I need to leave them on the stretchers longer? Will they dry back out? Am I screwed?

Originally Posted by Ole Hawkeye
Pat, as usual, you are right....

Re: Question about soft coon with humidity [Re: thrstyunderwater] #506871
01/08/08 01:01 AM
01/08/08 01:01 AM
Jackson cty. Wisc.
M
MADTRAPPER50 Offline
trapper
MADTRAPPER50  Offline
trapper
M

Jackson cty. Wisc.
Personnally, I would put them back on the stretchers and place a fan on them until things settle down again.

GOIN' FOR A LOOKSEE
Re: Question about soft coon with humidity [Re: MADTRAPPER50] #506927
01/08/08 01:53 AM
01/08/08 01:53 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
If your coons has been drting several days and the head , ears and tail are dry, don't worry about the hides. They will stiffen up as soon as it cools off.
I just finished taking about 400 off stretchers and they were pretty limp. A few days ago some of the same batch was stiff as boards, like to never got them off the boards./ Now they slide off the boards like they had grease under them.
If the skins are not completely dry they will wrinkle, if they were dry, they should be ok. They may curl a bit and if they do , just put a piece of cardboard on them and add a little weight.

Re: Question about soft coon with humidity [Re: don Wolf] #506942
01/08/08 02:14 AM
01/08/08 02:14 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Our damp humid climate I always kept a small heater going and a fan on everything, if not it takes forever to get anything dry and stiff here. Plus the mold and mildew starts to show up on leather if moisture is allowed to stay in the 'shed'.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91