Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5117569 - 07/10/15 01:29 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
jrt Offline
trapper

Loc: SWVA
Ive picked up a lot of good information on this thread but still have a few questions. Ive not seen much farmland rolling hills and mountain locations here. Where would be ideal cat habitat in locations like these? How would some of you fellow trappers look for and trap a ghost? In my area trappers that catch 3or4 cats have done something around here .I have heard of one double on cats around here since I was a kid. Im assuming caching a cat isn't hard but the location is the key ingrident. Thanks Jr

Edited by jrt (07/10/15 01:29 PM)
RACOON 0
POSSUM 0
BOBCAT 0

#5118822 - 07/11/15 09:21 AM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
DC Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
I just spent the last little bit reading through this thread. There's some good info in it. I have to say out of all the furbearers I trap in my area cats are my all time favorite to pursue.

The area I trap is in the southeast. Here I have a mix of open rolling farm land consisting of cattle pastures/corn fields and big hardwood timber with some spotty thickets/clear cuts. I've used about all the sets mentioned in this thread with some success. There are a couple that do produce constantly for me though in my area.

Before I get into the sets I want to say location is the most important aspect of cat trapping. This has already been discussed. In my area I concentrate almost 100% on clear cuts and thickets. Basically if I can't walk through it without trouble I don't trap cats there. I have caught cats in and around the cattle and corn fields. Usually along the thickest edges. I just don't catch the numbers as fast in those locations. That's why I focus on the thickets.

Within a clear cut or thicket there is a travel way. It may be deer trails or over grown logging roads. It's mostly determined by the lay of the land. Those travel ways is where I catch cats. Now on these travel ways is where I use one of two sets. A blind trail set or a bait station. Nothing else. These two have produced numerous cats for me in short order year after year. Using blind set is simple just block the existing trail down and put your trap at the pinch point. The trail can be made by any kind of animal from deer to rabbits or you can even make your own. I find,especially in snow, that cats will walk the same trail I use or have created. You can often times take your boot and drag out a trail for 50 yards or so through an area and cats will walk it.

Next is the bait station. Check your laws before you do this. Some states you can't set a trap but so close to bait. Some you can't use bait. If your in a state that has a specific distance from the bait you can still catch cats this way. I rarely set traps close to the bait unless there's no other option. I always try to locate these sets near existing trails and place the set on the uphill or upwind side. I personally always hang my bait but no more than 4 feet off the ground. I've noticed that this keeps the bait fresh longer than placing it on the ground. This is very important. Cats like they're food fresh. Even if it's carrion. Also, by placing the bait inside the thick cover you will have less if any at all trouble from birds raiding you. I take my boot and drag out a few trails leading to the bait. Often I have to cut trials to the bait with a pair of limb loppers. Block down these trails with some brush so it's the only way the cat can go. Once a cat finds your bait it will hang around for a day or two. Cats make multiple trips a day to and from these bait stations. Always set multiple traps on your trails going into this set. I've noticed cats tend to travel in pairs. I've picked up numerous doubles on toms throughout the season and a lot of female pairs too. In early season I find that you will catch mostly females with yearling kits.

These two sets are my go to cat sets that work for me. They work from high mountain peaks where I've trapped in elevations of 6000ft to coastal plains region of the south. I usually don't spend more than 14 days at a location. Cat catches usually occurs in the first 3-5 days of setting it up. I've found that you will catch for about 3-4 days solid then the set go's dead. I've left these out for long periods of time to see what happens and it's always the same. Nothing! If you leave them out for extended periods, the coyotes will clean it up in a couple months.

Last thing on bait. You can use just about anything for bait as long as it's fresh. Deer works good but spoils fast. The best I've found is of course beaver. It's got a smell cats love and the fatty meet tends to last longer at the set.

Also, when cat trapping, use as big of a trap that is legal in your area. Cat's have big feet so use big traps. You will get less misses. I don't use exposed traps on my sets just because I catch so man other animals in them. If you want to use exposed traps that's totally fine. It works on cats. Bodygrips also work in these sets. Just set them as if they were a snare. Use common sense on where you place your bodygrips and check your laws.

Hope this helps someone that's after cats.I'll try and post a few pics later on.

#5118982 - 07/11/15 12:07 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: jrt]
longbow31 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Missouri
Originally Posted By: jrt
Ive picked up a lot of good information on this thread but still have a few questions. Ive not seen much farmland rolling hills and mountain locations here. Where would be ideal cat habitat in locations like these? How would some of you fellow trappers look for and trap a ghost? In my area trappers that catch 3or4 cats have done something around here .I have heard of one double on cats around here since I was a kid. Im assuming caching a cat isn't hard but the location is the key ingrident. Thanks Jr

I have the same problem finding cat locations around my area. a lot of open timber and rolling hills. dry creek beds are good sometimes, but if you get a lot of rain like this year it pretty much kills that idea. some areas are just much easier to pick locations. out west in some areas there are fewer features and easier to narrow their line of travel down. around here, if there isn't a logging road in the timber, I am lost lol! these are just my opinions since I don't set just for cats a lot. if you ask me, the guys up north in the big timber that consistently catch cats really know what they are doing.

#5119061 - 07/11/15 01:19 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
arbrown Offline
trapper

Loc: western nc
Jrt. I trap mainly mountains. I look for old logging roads thru laurel thickets, clearcuts, old/grown up orchards. Think rabbits and grouse. Also rocky areas. Ive caught cats in other places but these usually pay off around here.

#5119121 - 07/11/15 02:28 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: arbrown]
DC Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
I agree with arbrown. Water ways always produce cats. Look for thick cover along those water ways. Beaver dams produce also. Cats eat a lot of birds such as ducks. That's why flagging works on cats. JMO. Also set your outside points in the farm land country. Especially if they are near thicker areas.

#5119521 - 07/11/15 08:32 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
RPolk Offline
trapper

Loc: North Georgia Mountains
This has been a GREAT read! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I have a job now that will allow me time to trap, so this will be my first season in 25+ years. Not looking to make money, just pass it along to my son and put up some fur for personal use.

I've seen bobcat on several occasions on the farm I hunt so I'll use some of what I've read here to go after them.

#5120411 - 07/12/15 04:25 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
jrt Offline
trapper

Loc: SWVA
Thanks for all the great info
RACOON 0
POSSUM 0
BOBCAT 0

#5126273 - 07/17/15 10:28 AM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
red mt Online   content
trapper

Loc: montana
Bump for furtrapper

#5139982 - 07/28/15 09:12 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
noobtrapper2001 Offline
trapper

Loc: Texas
ttt

2015-16 Goal

/10 Yotes
/15 Cats
/20 Fox
1/20 Coon
/1 Ringtail
/1 Mt. Lion

#5140232 - 07/29/15 06:21 AM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: DC Trapper]
K52 Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Kansas
DC is right on with the baiting. The closest to a sure thing is if you think cats are in an area is wire a beaver carcass up about 3-4' on a tree trunk. Once the cat/cats find it they will lay up in that area till it's gone. Caught a lot of cats this way. Make sure it's legal in your state, it is here.
Notice that oak tree and after the beaver was gone they still check it out.

Edited by K52 (07/29/15 06:34 AM)
Edit Reason: added pictures

#5194851 - 09/13/15 07:39 PM Re: ** 'Cat Sets and Locations ** Vol 2 [Re: LT GREY]
board stretcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Panhandle of Idaho
TTT

Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22

Moderator:  tmrschessie