Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 66 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 65 66
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6206846
04/03/18 01:53 PM
04/03/18 01:53 PM
Chicken, Alaska
Chickenminer Offline
trapper
Chickenminer  Offline
trapper

Chicken, Alaska
Jeff...
Good for you keeping one hive through the winter. I can't believe it's warm enough at your place that
the girls are out flying! -20 here last night.
I have three pkgs on order, looking forward to another bee season.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6207539
04/03/18 11:41 PM
04/03/18 11:41 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Thanks, Both hives would of made it if I wasn't slow on adding sugar bricks. That hive used twice the stores as the other,so it might be a blessing that she is out of the gene pool.

I read studies that cold don't effect bees much.I opened the hives at + 20 to add a sugar brick and had a cloud of bees on me,had to go light the smoker.

Tried again at -10 and still had a few fly out at me, and the rest were munching sugar like it was summer time in there.

Black painted hives helps the solar gain .it was single digits at night here and 28 high today with a N wind 25 G 30 and they flew, tucked in on a south facing slope,in the alders on three sides its a nice warm place that melts of first

I shoveled the snow and sprinkled wood stove ashes and it melted fast with the sunny afternoons we have been having.I put the feed jar of 2-1 on the sunny afternoons and they perked right up.Take it off at night.

I have a 3 '' shim for space for the sugar bricks then a inner cover with a screened feed jar hole and then a medium super stuffed with grass for a quilt box.

I think it would work just fine there too. (Maybe better) get the frosted up grass out before a warm spell and dry it out and change the top covers to dry ones a couple time as they absorb moisture.

Without varroa treatments its all a waste of time.

I treated with MAQs before and after the flow.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6213474
04/10/18 09:01 AM
04/10/18 09:01 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

You guys have varroa mites all the way up in AK? Did they come with some transplants you ordered? I cannot imagine the mites making the trip on a wild bee.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6213661
04/10/18 12:51 PM
04/10/18 12:51 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Yes the mites come in the packages riding with the bees. Just like ticks on a dog they make the trip just fine, and thrive real well in Alaska.

In fact I had a laying worker hive churning out drone brood that turned into a mite hotel. My new queen absconded,didnt want to live in that neighborhood with all them mites.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6213818
04/10/18 02:59 PM
04/10/18 02:59 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Wow. I had no idea. We lowlanders think of AK as being too cold to harbor pests like bee mites. Guess again. That is too bad.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6214334
04/11/18 12:21 AM
04/11/18 12:21 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Honestly I was secretly hoping the same thing, in reality its the same or better environment for mites here.

The hive is pretty strong, been flying every afternoon since April 1

After the first inspection and cleaning out the dead bees, I discovered a deep had seven frames of mostly capped honey. I grabbed three.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6224799
04/23/18 04:36 PM
04/23/18 04:36 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
A friend gave me some stone points his brother made, I was hoping to try them on a bear this bait season but I'm not going to be able to swing baiting this year. The points I'd use on a bear are all close to 250 grains, so I've made up target arrows to match and made my homebrew judos the same. I had broken one judo arrow right behind the head, it was the first to get the heavy field tips. It flew well, so I cut the rest of my target arrows to length and made my judos the same length and weight as well, or as close as I could stand to work it anyway.

The rabbits (yes, I know, they're hares) are tougher than I figured! The first one I hit stopped the arrow and was stunned, but the baby on my back and dog leashed to the waist belt gave it enough time to recover and limp into the brush. But the trail he left! I didn't know rabbits had that much blood. The snow is still waist deep in the shade, I post holed my way to the last blood near a snow burrow and couldn't find him. I had the 6 month old on my back, and the 3 year old walking circles around me on top of the snow. Had to go get the oldest from kindergarten, but me and him came back with snowshoes and a shovel. Dug up the borrow and still couldn't find the thing. Walked circles around just in case, found a couple more blood spots. The last blood we found looked like it layed down under a tree and then something dragged it out and left with it before we got there.

Last night I had the whole family out for an evening walk, and spotted a rabbit about 20 yards from the road looking the other way. If I'd been thinking I'd have let the oldest take a poke with his BB gun, but I'm excitable and let fly. I watched that big flu flu sail through the air and almost couldn't believe it landed square in the middle of that rabbits back! My wife took the baby off my back and I stumbled out to claim my prize. Rabbit soup tonight!

I was surprised how solidly both rabbits stopped these arrows. They're 3/8th oak dowels from the store, with around 250 grains up front, totaling around a thousand grains. The brass cross pieces didn't seem to bend as readily against snow clumps as the nails, but were bent by the rabbits. Itching to try them on a grouse next season. Be safe out there!

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: Aknative] #6225357
04/24/18 08:49 AM
04/24/18 08:49 AM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Aknative
A friend gave me some stone points his brother made, I was hoping to try them on a bear this bait season but I'm not going to be able to swing baiting this year. The points I'd use on a bear are all close to 250 grains, so I've made up target arrows to match and made my homebrew judos the same. I had broken one judo arrow right behind the head, it was the first to get the heavy field tips. It flew well, so I cut the rest of my target arrows to length and made my judos the same length and weight as well, or as close as I could stand to work it anyway.

The rabbits (yes, I know, they're hares) are tougher than I figured! The first one I hit stopped the arrow and was stunned, but the baby on my back and dog leashed to the waist belt gave it enough time to recover and limp into the brush. But the trail he left! I didn't know rabbits had that much blood. The snow is still waist deep in the shade, I post holed my way to the last blood near a snow burrow and couldn't find him. I had the 6 month old on my back, and the 3 year old walking circles around me on top of the snow. Had to go get the oldest from kindergarten, but me and him came back with snowshoes and a shovel. Dug up the borrow and still couldn't find the thing. Walked circles around just in case, found a couple more blood spots. The last blood we found looked like it layed down under a tree and then something dragged it out and left with it before we got there.

Last night I had the whole family out for an evening walk, and spotted a rabbit about 20 yards from the road looking the other way. If I'd been thinking I'd have let the oldest take a poke with his BB gun, but I'm excitable and let fly. I watched that big flu flu sail through the air and almost couldn't believe it landed square in the middle of that rabbits back! My wife took the baby off my back and I stumbled out to claim my prize. Rabbit soup tonight!

I was surprised how solidly both rabbits stopped these arrows. They're 3/8th oak dowels from the store, with around 250 grains up front, totaling around a thousand grains. The brass cross pieces didn't seem to bend as readily against snow clumps as the nails, but were bent by the rabbits. Itching to try them on a grouse next season. Be safe out there!

Can you post some pictures of your arrows, heads, and bow? For a long time I have part-time hunted with a Mike Fedora reflex-deflex longbow. All my judo points get broken. All my wooden shafts snap. Intrigued by others' success in this area.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6225971
04/24/18 09:57 PM
04/24/18 09:57 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
The bow is a 60 pound Samik Sage recurve, nothing special.

The arrows are 3/8s oak dowel from Lowes or Fred Meyers. Their spine and weight are inconstant, I've had to pick through for arrows that shoot well. I'm going to be more picky about my dowels.

Flu flu fletching, self knocks. Been trying different things for the arms, if the nails are too thin they bend easy, too thick they could break the shaft. I picked up a piece of brass rod at Lowes the other day, seems aright. If the piece is too long and gets loose it can shift upon release and cause erratic flight. I happiest so far with 2 cross pieces in the shape of an X with a point out the primer hole. I've only broken one by shooting so far, it was against a hard clump at less than 10 yards. The other I broke when I stepped on it in the deep snow.

Last edited by Aknative; 04/24/18 10:05 PM.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6226052
04/24/18 11:54 PM
04/24/18 11:54 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Thats awesome!! The last two doz arrows my son managed to go through when the hare population was high about 5 years ago. I need to show him this option!!

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6226447
04/25/18 01:53 PM
04/25/18 01:53 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
I think he’d have fun with them. Just be picky about grain straightness and direction, and bend them straight with heat. And make sure that their nock is positioned so that IF on breakes upon string release that the grain is faced so the rear part of the broken arrow goes UP away from the bow arm. Just something to be cautious about. Lots of good videos in YouTube about wood arrow building.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6230918
05/01/18 07:06 PM
05/01/18 07:06 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Thank you

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6231040
05/01/18 09:19 PM
05/01/18 09:19 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
No problem.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6231399
05/02/18 10:09 AM
05/02/18 10:09 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
AKnative has arrow-building work to do now!

We brought him back a sack of turkey wing feathers from our turkey hunt down in 'Merica last week!

Pete

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6253001
06/03/18 11:27 AM
06/03/18 11:27 AM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Boy, I need to get on those feathers!

Does any body have experience with Fibertite roofing? It looks good and sounds good, but local reviews would be nice.

https://www.fibertite.com/

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6261654
06/17/18 02:15 PM
06/17/18 02:15 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
For years now the State of Alaska has been trying to get the Federal Government to honor the agreement that Alaska would manage it's game. Trump's administration is working on rolling back restrictions put in place by Obama's administration that curtailed Alaska's management on Federal land, of which most of Alaska consists.

Comment your support of the Federal government taking steps to honor their agreements here;

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NPS-2018-0005-0001

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6261655
06/17/18 02:18 PM
06/17/18 02:18 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
I got those feathers cut and have fletched some up!

Anybody in Fairbanks have a feather burner? After these ones I cut out a template to cut the shape of the fletch before I glue them on, but a burner would be nice.

Last edited by Aknative; 06/17/18 02:19 PM.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6263817
06/20/18 05:21 PM
06/20/18 05:21 PM
L
Longbowman Offline
trapper
Longbowman  Offline
trapper
L

You need to look up Sterling and Krista Holbrook. They can certainly help you out with a feather burner. Tell them Mark from South Dakota suggested you get a hold of them.

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6330163
09/21/18 05:44 PM
09/21/18 05:44 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
I’ve been building a shop for a while, I’m almost ready to put a garage door on it. I’m still researching, seems like for a residential shop an overhead sliding door on rails is most common. It I’m not sure I want to give up that space near the ceiling, for lighting or hanging storage or working from a rolling winch on the I beam that makes the peak of the ceiling. I’m leaning towards a roll up door. Any body here have first hand experience with both?

Re: The Almighty Alaskan Thread #9 [Re: trapper ron] #6330342
09/21/18 11:24 PM
09/21/18 11:24 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Overhead doors are pretty much trouble free, and I like the torsion spring models. A sliding barn door type is a little harder to seal up and keep out the elements , but doesn't take up any ceiling height and allows for a taller opening too.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Page 36 of 66 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 65 66
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman