Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
butchering......... #23089
01/06/07 01:18 PM
01/06/07 01:18 PM
C
Claude Offline OP
trapper
Claude  Offline OP
trapper
C

Looking for info on how to properly butcher beaver, and other furbearers.

Last edited by Buzzard; 02/04/09 03:54 PM.
Re: butchering [Re: Claude] #53970
01/24/07 12:24 AM
01/24/07 12:24 AM
Prince George, Va
Foxchaser Offline
trapper
Foxchaser  Offline
trapper

Prince George, Va
When you find out let me know, I have heard if you dont cut them up right there are oil sacksin the beavers back. When you cook em they will taste nasty. I was going to try and cut up the best possible.

Re: butchering [Re: Foxchaser] #55422
01/24/07 09:06 PM
01/24/07 09:06 PM
Northeastern Michigan
DannelBoone Offline
trapper
DannelBoone  Offline
trapper

Northeastern Michigan
Hey Butchers
I cut beaver up and Im not saying it is the right way but mine don't stink or taste bad beaver is some what strong anyways .
When you skin then just becareful when you cut around the castor area . you can grab that whole area where those castors & oil glands R . you know how to skin don't you . I make jery out of beaver and we slow cook them for our wild game Dinner at Camp .
Don't be afraid to try it best of luck

Im WATCHIN YOU & !!LOCKED & LOADED !!

http://wildcatchtrapping.proboards.com
Re: butchering [Re: DannelBoone] #142941
03/19/07 07:12 PM
03/19/07 07:12 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
The oil glands and castor on beaver are simple to remove and should be done so prior to gutting. Just grab them and cut well under them down to the bone from the top of the pelvic bone to the top of the tail.
The second thing that is often over looked if you look at a skinned beaver up by the neck on the belly side you will see a large amount of meat that is actually its siliva glands they are light pink in color when compared to the dark red meat. These are not tastey and should also be removed. Other then that the rest is like any other small game critter gut it out keep it clean and enjoy it. We crock potted half a sm one yesterday while hauling wood my wife and I sat down and ate most of it up when the days work was done.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread