Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Wade Lacey] #552084
01/31/08 01:03 AM
01/31/08 01:03 AM
N.C.on the Pee-Dee river
W
woodsmoke Offline
trapper
woodsmoke  Offline
trapper
W

N.C.on the Pee-Dee river
Imade up a few live poles out of rebar and washers as i had nothing to stake to close by(within 15')6'exten.cable and a 5/64 short snare dbbl.swiveled no damadge

this one on land same snare setup but secured to stump in water and one swivel(no damadge)

give them cable,at least 10' ;)woodsmoke

LESS THUNDER IN THE MOUTH AND MORE LIGHTENING IN THE HAND
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #552171
01/31/08 07:56 AM
01/31/08 07:56 AM
Allen County, Indiana
G
Geezerman Offline
trapper
Geezerman  Offline
trapper
G

Allen County, Indiana
 Quote:
One of the biggest problems I see besides the snare damage is the fighting that beaver do. seems a live beaver in a snare, attracts all his old enimies. I see a lot more bites from people that sell me beaver that are live snared.

Gotta agree with Don here, I dry land snared a couple beaver and they got tore up by other beavers. Heck the one was still there attacking the snared one when I came to check my line. I set a drowner there instead of that snare and next morning he was doing some extended under water diving LOL

I used 3/32 cable, but thats because I just use it for everything, beaver, coon, yotes and fox. I know theres better cable size for the variety, but instead of having 3 or 4 different sizes I just go with one standard.

But then again I'm no beaver expert, I'd go by what Buzz and Jackie say, they see more beaver in a week then I do all year I'm sure

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Geezerman] #552201
01/31/08 08:45 AM
01/31/08 08:45 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Don said
"ifin ya want to ruin a good beaver, by all means , dry land snare the sucker"

That sounds like you are go'n to totaly ruin ever beaver thats dry land snared.From what I gather You dont like Snared coon eather.

I'm just glad that I dont have Don or Jim grading my fur.I get good grades on both SNARED Beaver and SNARED Coon .

1x19 loads easer than 7x7. and WILL hold a round loop better. Its faster too. No zipper.
I'v been useing it for years.
ADC altho I dont have them HUGE coon you got in IOWA where #9Ga. swivels and 3/32" 7x7 are a MUST.
I'll take 1/16" 1x19 cable for a all around snare. You wont catch too many Gray Fox in 5/64' 1x19.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Newt] #552209
01/31/08 08:58 AM
01/31/08 08:58 AM
Timmins Ontario
G
gibb Offline
trapper
gibb  Offline
trapper
G

Timmins Ontario
Interesting Newt, why not tell everyone how you do it.

Buzz, no one out right called you Dumb.

Beavers caught right behind the ears would be ok.

Hard to see the snare line in a green beaver pelt unless cut right into the leather. I am very glad I do not have to buy green fur.

We receive 1000s of coon body snared that grade out as slights.
Cheers Jim

Last edited by gibb; 01/31/08 09:00 AM.
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: ] #552236
01/31/08 09:25 AM
01/31/08 09:25 AM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Gibb asked "Interesting Newt, why not tell everyone how you do it."
Answer- Dont send them up to the big aution houses. I now sell at a local auction.I still have otter and rats up in NAFA. I sent them up to be SOLD,NOT HOLD. (I know Jim your with FHA)
I DONT caare what the High is I dont care what the Low is. ITS the adverage that counts.AND whatts tak'n out of my check.

As for snares I use eather 1/16" or 5/64' 1x19 with a Slim Lock. MOST beavers Dont fight hard.

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Wade Lacey] #552242
01/31/08 09:29 AM
01/31/08 09:29 AM
Marshallville Ohio
D
Deerehunter03 Offline
trapper
Deerehunter03  Offline
trapper
D

Marshallville Ohio
the ones i have ever seen snared on land havent been bad and i work for a fur buyer. and i also trap for them.

''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Deerehunter03] #552309
01/31/08 10:14 AM
01/31/08 10:14 AM
Timmins Ontario
G
gibb Offline
trapper
gibb  Offline
trapper
G

Timmins Ontario
Newt, I agree with you 100%. The real average is the true measure for a trapper.
Question for you trappers,
Why would a respected fur buyer with many years in the buisness and someone who works for an auction house both tell you the same thing?
I gain nothing by telling you the truth.
Cheers Jim

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: gibb] #552322
01/31/08 10:24 AM
01/31/08 10:24 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
It seems to me when I read my auction results It tells me my highs amd It tells me my lows And It also tells me my AVERAGE so what's the difference between that and selling In the country.
At least in the acution print out It grades each and every piece of fur. When you go to the country buyer you get 3 or 4 piles of fur with no explantion on why just a monetary figure.
And then ther Is that pile that has no value and In most cases the unwary seller lets that fur buyer take It for nothing .
Most trappers don't understand how even slight damage effects the fur during the dressing process.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: The Beav] #552378
01/31/08 11:11 AM
01/31/08 11:11 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Gary I must be a real oddball in the fur bussiness. Just last night I had 2 coonhunters that came to my shop. One had never been here before. As I was grading the coon, I asked him to come stand next to me as I graded his fur. I board size all my coons, so the fellas can see the length of their coons. As I was grading his fur, I explained to him the quality , size and why each coon was thrown in it's respective pile. When I was done grading his coon I asked if he had any more questions about his grade and sizes. He once again wanted me to show him why I had paid 1.50 each on 2 xx sow coons. I then grabbed the 2 coon in question and grabbed a good furred coon and explained to him why the 2 big sow coon had been downgraded so badly. Both of thses coon were what I called suckling sow coon. They had big nipples and no fur, just guard hair on them. I then began to show him how the big sow coons did not have the nice silky underfur the other coons had. I also explained to him about the little whiteish looking guard hairs that extended all the way to the leather. I also explained to him about the leather being black and how the coon was robbed of it's protein from having the young to late in the season.
The 2 coon I threw out will grade no more than a no. III and more than likly a IV. The price on these coon to me will probably be anywhere from a buck to three bucks. Maybe a bit more ifin the buyers are real hungary for coon this yr. It is going to cost me a 1.50 to get the coons scraped and then my time boarding and removing the coons. I will make absolutly no money on those coon. He also had a very very small coon that mught stretch out as big as a xl rat. He received 50 cents for that coon. If the coon has any kind of holes in it, it will be worthless to me. If it happens to be a good coon, I might get a buck or so from it.
So as you see all buyers don't just throw coon in their respective piles and pay for them. I like my trappers and hunters to know what their fur is like as far as quality and size is concerned. Each and every piece of fur I throw out of a lot, whether it be in the grease or a fine finished pelt, will have an explanation to it. I know my fur and I darn sure ain'tafraid to show people what it is all about when grading the stuff.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #552411
01/31/08 11:36 AM
01/31/08 11:36 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Newt ifin ya read my post through, you will see that I said[ not every beaver you dryland snare is bad} Geesh you guys only read what you want to read sometimes.
Newt, as a rule of thumb, I do not like snared coon. Let us say this,. Newt I know from what I hear, that you are an expert at snaring. I do not doubt that you can put a snare on an animal and not damage the critter. I will go one step further and add Buzzard to your class of snare men. I don't know if you can or if you can't stop snare damage, I have never seen any of your pelts in the grease or finished, so I can't say yae or nay. There are professionals in the world that can work wonders with tools, I suspect you and Buz. are each very professional.
But let us say just for giggles here, that a lot of readers on this site are looking at this thread about snaring. 95% of these people will never reach the status that you and Buz. have reached in your snaring abilities. So let us go to the next step here.
This is supposed to be an informational site, is it not?
Well then what we might be doing is giving a lot of people the wrong idea about snaring animals. Just cause you can do it correct, does not mean that the average Joe in the field can do it the same way. I see way to much damage from snares, to tell all the trappers on this forum to just go out and set snares and every thing will be ok. That is false. Snaring takes a very special ability to do correct. If you are going to be a snareman or woman, then by all means do it correct.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #552421
01/31/08 11:40 AM
01/31/08 11:40 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
BeaverBgone, to answer your question about neck snared beaver. No the neck snare is not likly to damage the beaver. It just depends on how many times he has crossed under the cable and drug it acrossed his back and how many times another beaver has attacked him, as to how much damage there is to his pelt.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #552557
01/31/08 12:50 PM
01/31/08 12:50 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Don you are the exception. Groney got his selling hole so high above the ground you can't even see your fur once you throw It up there. No individual grading there. Three piles and the out pile.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #552661
01/31/08 02:19 PM
01/31/08 02:19 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
 Originally Posted By: don Wolf
...It just depends on how many times he has crossed under the cable and drug it acrossed his back ...

Most of that needs explanation methinks.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: ] #552695
01/31/08 02:51 PM
01/31/08 02:51 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Ahh now it's Mr. Wolf is it. And what the heck ya mean I don't get no lolipop! I have gotten very few lolipops im my life Buzzard and I really don't care for them.
The stuff I talk about on here is from personal experience, things I have seen in my bussiness as a furbuyer and as a trapper.
Anyway Buzzard, that is what makes us individuals. Like I said before, I have not seen your fur nor Newts fur and chances are, I never will. So who am I to say that your beaver has any kind of snare damage on them. I sallute you Sir, if you have found a way to not have snare damage. The only way it remotely works for me is the drowning device.
I am trying to figure a way to get coons down the drowners , with snares on them also.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: ] #552739
01/31/08 03:16 PM
01/31/08 03:16 PM
Southeast, Indiana
S
Sliprig Offline
trapper
Sliprig  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast, Indiana
Interesting thread, Don care to share your drowning rig?

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: Sliprig] #553509
01/31/08 08:52 PM
01/31/08 08:52 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Buzzard the reason for a snare instead of a foothold is, thieves. I live in a pretty heavy population area.

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #553515
01/31/08 08:53 PM
01/31/08 08:53 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
a drawing of my drowning rig.

Instead of rebar, I use 3/8 cold roll 1018 steel. If you want to use rebar I suggest going to 1/2 in.

Last edited by don Wolf; 01/31/08 08:55 PM.
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: ] #553616
01/31/08 09:35 PM
01/31/08 09:35 PM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Buzzard said "why use a snare and not a foothold when theres not much walkin envolved ?"
Altho this question was not directed to me. My answer would be.

Snares "to me" are the fastest and easy'st way to catch a beaver. When otters were bringing $100 or more, than what they were worth. I set a lot of body grips.Just by chance on getting that extra otter. Now with otters back down where they are suposed to be .I set mostly snares for beaver. I dont even own what most trappers would call a "Beaver Foot Hold"
Dont get me wrong.I will set for a otter on good sign.

Don, I guess I did jump the gun on you. But I get mad here'n people down'n snares all the time. WHEN they dont know what they are talk'n about.

January 19-20-21 2024

www.snareone.com
Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: ] #554138
02/01/08 01:34 AM
02/01/08 01:34 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Newt my sincere apology about me making you think I was downing snares. I love snares. I sure as heck would never down them. I just think, if you use them, use them in the correct fashion.
I, me, myself and I and only myself,l no others included in this statement, do not know how to use a snare on dry land for catching beaver and raccoon without having some sort of snare damage on them.
I tried a new typ lock this yr. on raccoon, because a good friend , told me that I would not be able to find my snared coon amongst my foot trapped coon. I could tell very easy which were snared and the ones that were not snared. I will say this about the lock, it did help a good bit. I may have a learning curve to go through yet, I do not know if that is the case yet or not.
I have caught beaver on dry land and did not like my results. To put it simply, I guess I just don't know what I am doing.
Hail to the Kings of snaring!

Re: Beavers held live in snares? [Re: don Wolf] #554353
02/01/08 10:00 AM
02/01/08 10:00 AM
richmond, virginia
N
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper
NWS,LLC  Offline
trapper
N

richmond, virginia
snares catch me animals i otherwise would be unable to easily capture. i use a long extention cable to tie off, some are tangled on the bank and some are in the water swimming.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91