No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Old Relic] #5520583
05/12/16 04:08 AM
05/12/16 04:08 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Old Relic
Then show me. Talk is cheap. I'd like to see it done.

I suggested a REAL way to get some good from your free fur. Make it work, and I'll donate fur to the cause.

Well Toby, maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Who knows, since this post is in what most professionals would refer to as a "brainstorming" stage. Since you've little or no professional experience, I understand that it's likely not anything you've ever heard of before. But the basis is that people toss out ideas, and then people discuss those ideas. Some may turn out to be worthless, while others may turn out to be priceless. On rare occasions, people may even toss out one idea, that proves to be worthless to the topic at hand, but invaluable to either another project in the works, or one that may come at a later date.

Nothing bad ever came from brainstorming an idea. In fact, I believe NTA still contributes to a similar idea, no? I mean it's been a couple years, but last I knew NTA still spent a steady few K every year sponsoring fur coats for congressman's wives. It was, I believe, called Fur Wraps the Hill? Maybe you're too green to have heard of it? If so, contact Dave and Karen Linkhart, I'm sure they can fill you in. In fact, they may even be interested in expanding the general idea behind that program that NTA has wholeheartedly supported since the early-mid-2000s to include publicity from donating to the needy opposed to those who already bring in triple digit salaries?

Out of curiosity, since you oppose fur garments to veterans and cancer patients, do you equally oppose them to congress people? If so, have you voiced that concern in a board meeting?

So whether or not this comes to be an active program, I feel the thoughts offered within here are invaluable.... even if their ONLY purpose is to spark a thought in another arena.

Why any representative of the NTA would choose to shoot down proactive thinking, simply boggles my mind.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 05/12/16 04:25 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520589
05/12/16 04:33 AM
05/12/16 04:33 AM
Nebraska
B
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"
BuckNE  Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"
B

Nebraska
Nobody has yet to come up with any ideas for how to raise money for the tanning and garment manufacture. Even if you could get a skin tanned and a hat manufactured for $50, we're still talking about $50,000 just to produce 1000 hats.

I haven't seen Democrats this mad at Republicans since we ended slavery.
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: BuckNE] #5520595
05/12/16 05:00 AM
05/12/16 05:00 AM
Oakland, MS
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Nobody has yet to come up with any ideas for how to raise money for the tanning and garment manufacture. Even if you could get a skin tanned and a hat manufactured for $50, we're still talking about $50,000 just to produce 1000 hats.

Read again. Someone offered the tanning fees free. Someone offered manufacturing fees for about your quote. You don't start with 1000, you start with a couple hundred, and let the publicity carry that. A couple-3 hundred, strategically placed can carry publicity. At that point donors should become easier to find, since something has been actually DONE which would be a new concept.

Been batting this around a bit, Buck, for $5000 I think we can have a lot better start then dumping that money into a local assn that cannot even produce the legal bylaws and passes legislation behind the memberships backs, as suggested on this thread, lol.

I think somewhere between 200-300 hats, and the publicity generated would be a start. Think HATS not full length designer garment coats!

Veterans... good idea. But who else needs WARM hats? People who have lost all their hair!

XX mountain man hats for homeless vets, and XX women's hats for cancer strugglers.

Edit: NOT to say all state associations are the same... some have amazing ones. Big ones like PA, NY, OH, MN... even IL, MI, Wi, etc. I'm sure most if not all would donate to something like this. I've known and am a member of several great state associations.. but not ALL state associations are wonderful.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 05/12/16 05:06 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520599
05/12/16 05:15 AM
05/12/16 05:15 AM
Nebraska
B
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"
BuckNE  Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"
B

Nebraska
I skimmed over this thread twice again, and still don't see where someone offered to tan 2 or 3 hundred skins for free.

But assuming you could get that done, all you need is $10,000 to produce 200 hats.

The original post seemed (to me, anyway) to suggest a place to send fur in order for trapping to continue with the current state of the fur market. 200 hats doesn't exactly provide that outlet.

I haven't seen Democrats this mad at Republicans since we ended slavery.
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520601
05/12/16 05:20 AM
05/12/16 05:20 AM
Oakland, MS
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Check your PMs

And your analysis of the OP does not coincide with mine, and my theory seems to be proven by the OPS subsequent posts. He's not looking for a place to dump pelts, but rather one to make his pelts be more than maggot food.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 05/12/16 05:22 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520646
05/12/16 07:33 AM
05/12/16 07:33 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
All involved in the industry can contribute to this, because all in the industry can benifit
Trappers

tanneries

Manufactures

Distributors

Each would gain from the publicity, so each would have a reason to contribute

Of course some in the pipeline would have more $ in to each garment, but each would likely be able to take advantage of tax deductions if the end product is 100% donated

But it may be quicker and easier (market could rebound in the time it takes to get the entire system in place). The quickest way would likely be form trappers and trapping associations to catch, pay to tan and pay to manufacture

For instance if each trapper had two hats made and then provided them to the final organization to distribute

Actually as trappers we could do this ourselves if enough of us just did it on an individual basis

For instance 20 trappers in SW Michigan have 2 hats made each (kids size only) distribute them with media attention into one diatvantaged community. I would say not intercity but a rural community or native community

If this was done at the same time through out North America we could do it by winter 2018 maybe

Just some food for thought

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520657
05/12/16 07:45 AM
05/12/16 07:45 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

But ideas should at least be given the opportunity to be heard, thought of and discussed, before that idea is rendered garbage.

That's NOT the NTA way, why I FINALLY left after a decade of head to brick wall syndrome.

Some states already have a tanned fur donation system set up, donating tanned fur's to schools, etc.

Unlike Relic I don't have the answer to how you would put all this in motion but unlike him I don't
feel im smarter than everyone else so if I can't figure it out it can't be done.

Good luck.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Jtrapper] #5520675
05/12/16 08:11 AM
05/12/16 08:11 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline OP
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline OP
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Beaglador said he would put up some fur and I will donate 2 hats (adult size) along with some tanned fur. So that's a start.

But it is still the cart before the horse. If the NTA can't or won't help, then as Patrice said, there are some state associations that have a record of doing good things. Any state association with a PR Director is worth asking of.

Talk about brainstorming .....I love the idea of hats for homeless vets and bald cancer survivors. Now that is exciting on so many levels.

If such a program ever gets off the ground, it should not go away when the market turns around.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520713
05/12/16 09:40 AM
05/12/16 09:40 AM
East Pensyltucky
Beaglador Offline
trapper
Beaglador  Offline
trapper

East Pensyltucky
I'm struggling to keep up with this thread but I'm still here and this still sounds like a real idea. So I will ramble on in good faith and hope that this storm will continue.

So I have some tanned fur ready to go to the manufacturer. Which I put a call in last night to see where I may be able to obtain the best pricing on the manufacture of 100 hats (is that too many/ not enough?). Am I willing to provide the skins for 100 hats- probably not- but I will put forth 20 red fox, and 8-10 coons tanned, and I could do that today. So soup to nuts I can put forth 25-30 hats, professionally manufactured for the purpose of promoting fur trapping, fur garments, helping those that can use it, and gaining a tax deduction. Is that clear?

From those of you that are still positive on this idea- can you contact some of the state PR people, or those that have medical contacts in cold regions there have to be support groups for cancer patients, and then there is the military families- someone here should know a route to them? Just to see what avenue is most realistic. Additionally whichever entity handles the distribution has to be able to provide receipts for tax deductions.

Thanks to yotetrapper (I believe that is Angela) for keeping this realistic!

So to summarize I am basically willing to do this largely on my own(not quite on a large scale but it's a start that may provide momentum). I simply lack the contacts at the distribution and PR levels.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520736
05/12/16 09:59 AM
05/12/16 09:59 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
This One time at a Pa rondy,
some folks put on a demo to make your own fur hat.

If,
trappers could get together, with a good teacher or three,
make hats/mittens from their own fur.
Then distribute to someone they know or know of.
This may eliminate a bunch of apprehension, logistics, cost, and or
generate enthusiasm.

As far as orgs, perhaps the with or with out you approach may be better than arguing.

That's just a little rain drop of my pea brain storm. Good luck.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520752
05/12/16 10:27 AM
05/12/16 10:27 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
My comment about orgs was not a jab,
rather a reflection of my experience that members have way more "ideas" than unpaid Officers have the time to pursue.

Over and out.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: yotetrapper30] #5520754
05/12/16 10:35 AM
Northwest, Alabama
O
Old Relic Offline
trapper
Old Relic  Offline
trapper
O

Northwest, Alabama
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30
Originally Posted By: Old Relic
Then show me. Talk is cheap. I'd like to see it done.

I suggested a REAL way to get some good from your free fur. Make it work, and I'll donate fur to the cause.

Well Toby, maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Who knows, since this post is in what most professionals would refer to as a "brainstorming" stage. Since you've little or no professional experience, I understand that it's likely not anything you've ever heard of before. But the basis is that people toss out ideas, and then people discuss those ideas. Some may turn out to be worthless, while others may turn out to be priceless. On rare occasions, people may even toss out one idea, that proves to be worthless to the topic at hand, but invaluable to either another project in the works, or one that may come at a later date.

Nothing bad ever came from brainstorming an idea. In fact, I believe NTA still contributes to a similar idea, no? I mean it's been a couple years, but last I knew NTA still spent a steady few K every year sponsoring fur coats for congressman's wives. It was, I believe, called Fur Wraps the Hill? Maybe you're too green to have heard of it? If so, contact Dave and Karen Linkhart, I'm sure they can fill you in. In fact, they may even be interested in expanding the general idea behind that program that NTA has wholeheartedly supported since the early-mid-2000s to include publicity from donating to the needy opposed to those who already bring in triple digit salaries?

Out of curiosity, since you oppose fur garments to veterans and cancer patients, do you equally oppose them to congress people? If so, have you voiced that concern in a board meeting?

So whether or not this comes to be an active program, I feel the thoughts offered within here are invaluable.... even if their ONLY purpose is to spark a thought in another arena.

Why any representative of the NTA would choose to shoot down proactive thinking, simply boggles my mind.

Did you read my quote? How can you derive that I am opposed to fur garments for veterans and cancer patients?? This thread started out wanting to give garments to third world Kids. When did Cancer patients get injected into the conversation. I even offered to donate fur for this thing that I am supposed to be "Opposed" to.

Your twisting of words and meanings, and even injecting your mental garbage into conversations is why you were not effective as a Director. Insults like questioning my "Professional" experience, is humorous coming from a burger flipper. It's also humorous seeing you post three times a week, what conduct a "Representative" of a State or National Organization should have, when you couldn't seem to figure it out for yourself, in your brief career.

As far as Organizing such a venture, on a scale of 1000+ garments, groups like the NTA or FTA, would be needed to keep it all together, and make it happen. Of course the great minds in this conversation say they "Can't be Trusted!" Your "Brainstorming" can't handle a little reality, and now you want to throw cheap insults, instead of offering solutions.

Lastly, if this fledgling venture can't handle a little reality check from someone in a simple conversation, then my point is already a reality. I haven't seen anyone that has the metal, or the where with all, to put it all together. A project of this size will need a competent board to make the decisions, seek the financing, logistics, and cooperation of all the wheels involved. Then on top of that you need enough trappers to donate enough useable fur to make it happen.

I wish you the best of luck in this venture. I renew my offer to donate fur to make it happen, when you get all of the organization in place.

Last edited by Old Relic; 05/13/16 12:24 AM.

A Nation of Sheep - Breeds a Government of Wolves!
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520755
kansas
H
Hal Aggers Offline
trapper
Hal Aggers  Offline
trapper
H

kansas
I would bet that Moyles would jump on board on this. The convention s are coming soon and this might be discussed there to get more people on board.
There are a lot of cheap coon coming up at NAFA and FHA you also might get them to waive there commission if we had a buyer and get them on board with this.
There are a lot of poor children here that could benefit from this and they would never forget and as they get older there out look on fur will be a good one.
I like this idea.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520768
05/12/16 10:55 AM
05/12/16 10:55 AM
East Pensyltucky
Beaglador Offline
trapper
Beaglador  Offline
trapper

East Pensyltucky
Old Rel & Yote30 your points are both valuable in this discussion- can we carry on?

So on the much smaller/ more realistically scaled model of this project- does anyone know the end users? Who would like their associations name on this?

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Beaglador] #5520794
05/12/16 11:40 AM
05/12/16 11:40 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline OP
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline OP
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Beaglador
Old Rel & Yote30 your points are both valuable in this discussion- can we carry on?

So on the much smaller/ more realistically scaled model of this project- does anyone know the end users? Who would like their associations name on this?

A small scale beta test? Odds are that someone here has had a brush with cancer and can offer some "reality."

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520809
05/12/16 11:55 AM
05/12/16 11:55 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
American Cancer Society helps a LOT of patients, and are easy to deal with.
I saw one hairless woman with a pill box, red fox hat. Sharp, and women can not stand bad hair days. (or months)

Last edited by Wright Brothers; 05/12/16 11:57 AM.

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Beaglador] #5520817
05/12/16 12:02 PM
05/12/16 12:02 PM
Oakland, MS
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Beaglador

You betcha. Done replying to attempts to derail this issue. Will try and find out some info you're looking for over the weekend.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520840
05/12/16 12:30 PM
05/12/16 12:30 PM
Oakland, MS
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
On another note, I think this project needs a name. Even for a small scale. If Phil donates 2 hats to cancer patients he finds through a friend of his wife, or beaglador donates 10 hates to homeless vets, or we all get together to donate 100 hats to a project. It should be done in the name of "______". Even when working through another association. Beaglador is from PA, who has a pretty great association, so let's say he teams up with them to distribute his furs. Then instead of just the PA trappers association being named, I think it should be that "____________" in conjunction with the PA trappers donated XX hats to XX group.

But I'm not good at coming up with catchy names. Any ideas?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5520900
05/12/16 01:46 PM
05/12/16 01:46 PM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
Why does it have to be a big group? Or an official club or assoc? And to me, its ironic that this talk of donating and wanting to do something charitable has the trailer of "who's gonna pay for this stuff?" I think a few random individuals scattered about the country donating or handing out fur hats etc to those in need would do as much good as a national group or whatever you call it. And so what if you had to pay the tanning fees on a few hides to get them prepared? Its charity for crying out loud.

I have a couple pink traps that I break out occasionally, and whatever I catch in them gets sold, and the money from that goes to breast cancer. No frills or fancy membership to a collection. Just a regular, and very much appreciated donation.

Just a few comments from no one in particular...

Re: Giving Away Fur [Re: Phil Nichols] #5521461
05/12/16 11:40 PM
05/12/16 11:40 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Carolina, I like your pink trap idea for breast cancer, such idea's as that are what our national organization's should be
coming up with, looking into, promoting for PR if nothing else along with a zillion other idea's but sadly the idea maker's
got tired of that brick wall and went home.

This thread is about promoting fur but your idea is a great way to promote trapping, my hats off to you for that idea.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread