Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Stroke! #5528280
05/19/16 11:18 PM
05/19/16 11:18 PM
Idaho
P
peej Offline OP
trapper
peej  Offline OP
trapper
P

Idaho
Ten days ago my lifetime hunting and fishing partner and my best friend,my go to guy for all my problems,my hero,my Dad had a massive stroke.To say I'm devastated is an understatement. he is completely paralyzed on his right side. He couldn't talk or even swallow.The docs painted a grim picture for us that first day. My dad had given me a copy of his living will but like an idiot i didn't read it or discuss it with him. He has told me before that he didn't want to be kept alive and end up being cared for in a nursing home.So when this happened I was shocked to read in his will that he checked the box where it said he allowed a feeding tube and hydration tube to be installed. After discussing it with the docs we went ahead with this. after a couple of days my Dad shocked the docs by being able to sit up without falling over.Then he started trying to speak.Nothing coherent just noises. Day 4 and he is standing on his good leg.Day 5 and he gets moved out of the hospital to a convalescent home for rehab.Now he is trying to talk and is actually saying words but they are out of context. Day 7 sees the feeding tube removed and he is feeding himself with pureed food. But now it seems that depression is setting in. He seems to be giving up as he realizes where he is at. Im wondering if any one has stories of loved ones recovering from stroke? Ways of keeping him from falling into deeper depression. etc. Any prayers would also be very welcome.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5535335
05/28/16 01:02 AM
05/28/16 01:02 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
The brain is a remarkable creation by God and the soul in humans is even more wonderful. There are numerous stories of recoveries and that the person is more than the brain. Ronald Reagan with dementia gave the gift to his family in recognizing them before he went home. My aunt went into coma after a botched surgery, and when the doctors talked about pulling the plug, she could hear every word discussed, and when she recovered with therapy, she is still going strong now into her 80's.
Therapy has progressed immensely, and when I was the one who was taking my Mom to physical therapy, it was the greatest gift in I was involved, helping her to learn to walk again and giving back to her for all she did for me as a child.

Always build a bridge to the person in helping them build a bridge to something hoped for. Tell your Dad how much you need them in advice, in their experiences with the outdoors, and find that link to something you can help him to work toward, whether it is some outing this autumn fishing or hunting.

My Uncle suffered from an aneurysm in the lower brain, and he recovered too. He decided that life was too short and had 10 good years hunting, fishing and trapping, before brain cancer took him. Life never ends and is always worth living in the new form we live into. When I was struck in my shooting eye by a broke rope, my first thought was I was going to have to learn to shoot with my left eye. You have to be positive and be the parent in some ways now, to help your Dad come to the point of, we all have some limits and in them we have more to offer.

God bless you and I will pray for you both.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5535361
05/28/16 03:52 AM
05/28/16 03:52 AM
PA Venango Co.
R
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper
Ron Marsh  Offline
trapper
R

PA Venango Co.
A year and half ago my wife's niece had a stroke so bad that they had to remove part of her skull. last week she danced with her husband at their son's wedding.
Payers sent for all of you.

PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-516-2923
Re: Stroke! [Re: Ron Marsh] #5536990
05/30/16 07:40 AM
05/30/16 07:40 AM
Idaho
P
peej Offline OP
trapper
peej  Offline OP
trapper
P

Idaho
Thanks for the words of encouragement and hope.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5765804
01/09/17 08:42 PM
01/09/17 08:42 PM
Crawford County, Illinois
V
Virgil Tech Offline
trapper
Virgil Tech  Offline
trapper
V

I've been lurking here for a couple years or so and just registered - this is my first post
I'm 45, I had a stroke June 23, 2016 when I was 44.
I was in the hospital for 4 days. Mine was caused by high blood pressure which I attribute to my job. I suffered with depression afterward for several weeks and still fight it from time to time. My lasting side effects from it are mostly swallowing and feeling on my left side. I'm somewhat numb on the entire left side of my body. Hot or cold doesn't feel like anything except warm. If I touch something hot I don't know it's hot for several seconds. Certain things touching my left side can send me over the edge, as in instant rage or an involuntary reaction to jerk away. My wife still has a hard time comprehending this - when she rubs my back or touches my leg/foot sometimes it just doesn't feel good at all and I can't take it. My Dad is 76, he had a stroke 2 years ago, it affected his ability to walk so he now wears an ankle brace. Clouds make him cry. He still does work as a handyman so his limitations are very few, luckily mine are the same way.

peej I'd like to know how your dad is doing now. Hopefully he's regained most of his skills and abilities.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5766094
01/09/17 10:54 PM
01/09/17 10:54 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
above and beyond any thing you have to stay positive!! And deep down realize you are still alive for a reason if it was your time you wouldn't be here god left you here for a reason his way of saying you have unfinished business! if I come off sounding cold im not I have been thru it my self had a massive heart attack 1-17-11 the doctors told me my heart was dying and I was 38 at the time but the doctors got the ball in motion and put me on the transplant list.At the age of 42 I was transplanted I got a new lease on life, but a wonderful family lost their son so I could live.So I don't take one second for granted! But while waiting to be transplanted I had a stroke luckily I was sitting in the hospital when it happened. I was on a L.V.A.D which is more or less a fake heart, lift station so to speak my heart was still trying to pump just not real strong that device pushed blood to my heart.Which to install they have to bust your sternum open heart surgery after one week I was up and walking again,one month I was fishing by myself again.With a very reluctant family.But I caught a cold and the sneezing on a fresh busted open sternum was to much it busted again that's why I was in the hospital waiting to be operated on again. They did the surgery and put a titanium plate in my chest and screwed it to my rib bones. Long story short one of my rib bones broke a month later and had to go thru it again,this time every thing went fine. My stroke left the left side of my body a little numb and still is a little but not bad.Ive got a smerk now instead of a smile, the left side of my face droops some but who cares im alive.Igot the call on4-26-14 to get to the hospital in the next eight hours to confirm my spot on the list lol I was there in four 120 miles away St.Louis M.o Barnes Jewish Hospital they got me checked in and did all the last minute tests and told us every thing looked great they said on paper it was a perfect match, they would do the operation the next evening. them doctors are like machines they do two a day 13 hrs each and I was the second on the list for that day.My wife and family asked me how I could be so calm and I replied you got to have faith and have dogged determination, at this point I was still up walking around on my own perfectly. the nurse came got me and the family and said it time and I stroll into the or walking of course and hop up on the table and ask were is my anistics thelead nurse looked at me and said your here for a heart and I grin well ya!! She grinned and looked at the doctor and my wife and replied this is a first for me he noded his head and im about to explode what?? they both said you walked in here most people were on a stretcher im still grinning setting their in my camo ball cap which they took from me! Wasnt happy about that,i look at my wife and tell her I will be getting that back after I wake up!to me the surgery only took a few minutes 5 weeks later I wake up apparently im a bleeder!when I did wake up I felt like I had had the you know what beat out of me twicebut come to find out I had compartment syndrome which is blood settling in your lower appendagis , arms and legs which mine was my left arm they had to do surgery while I was in the icu they couldn't move me to many machines hooked up to me and after waking up again I had another stroke lol this one reversed the effects of the first one. Lucky is what my name should be!! After all that 6 weeks later, I finally get to go home its now the middle of june 2014 but at least I got to go turkey hunting that year.Funny but not so funny while they was prepping me for surgery the nurse found a tick on me just shrugged my shoulders and told her par for course, august of 2014 I was back in the hospital from a tick bite I had erlichiosis with a 103.9 feveri felt like someone beatthe you know what out of me again. but all and all was it worth it you bet it was got to trap that following winter, 6 yotes 50rats 2 mink 10 beavers and my first otter. This is the kicker and reminds any one the good lord handles our fate remember I went in on 4/26/14 my birth dat is 4/25/72my donor died 4/25.14and my transplant number I 727and my wifes birthday is 7/27/73 tellme that's not a signtried to make this a bit humorous it has been on heck of a journey but im glad it was me not anyone else. Ihave a strong mind and that's what it takes to overcome ANYTHING! don't worry about your depression it will pass I had it too ask your doc about Zoloft.But to date im doing great 27 yotes14 beavers 4 foxs 27 rats no otts or cats yet season not over either.Did get to meat the donors familymother grand pa grand ma and great grandma and his brother.And words cant exprees how amazing they are .So I hope this long story helps to get your spirits lifted

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Stroke! [Re: TONY.F] #5766227
01/10/17 12:05 AM
01/10/17 12:05 AM
V
Virgil Tech Offline
trapper
Virgil Tech  Offline
trapper
V

Great story Tony, glad you made such a good recovery!

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5767276
01/10/17 09:19 PM
01/10/17 09:19 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
thank you it has been one heck of a ordeal
this is what a L.V.A.D looks like I had to wear that for a year and a half before transplant

Last edited by TONY.F; 01/10/17 09:21 PM.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5767292
01/10/17 09:35 PM
01/10/17 09:35 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
virgil tech were is Crawford county?My sister lives in bath

Re: Stroke! [Re: TONY.F] #5767321
01/10/17 09:54 PM
01/10/17 09:54 PM
V
Virgil Tech Offline
trapper
Virgil Tech  Offline
trapper
V

It's on the east side of the state, Interstate 70 runs through Clark county which is the county north of me. The Wabash river is the state line and less than a mile from me. I'm centrally located to nowhere fast. grin

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5767338
01/10/17 10:01 PM
01/10/17 10:01 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
that's most of Illinois sorry M.O is just as bad if not worse, so your not far from greenville

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5772245
01/14/17 11:13 PM
01/14/17 11:13 PM
Idaho
P
peej Offline OP
trapper
peej  Offline OP
trapper
P

Idaho
Thanks everyone for the responses. Tony F.WOW! Inspirational! So my Dad is now at home with my Mom. She takes great care of him.He is mostly confined to a wheel chair but he can walk a little with the help of a walker. He still has trouble with his speech and doesnt make much sense most of the time when he talks.His right arm is still pretty much useless but he is showing some signs of movement.He has P.T. about 4 days a week and continues to make a little progress each day.His spirits are greatly improved.He has really been enjoying the NFL playoffs.Its funny in that when he doesnt think about what he wants to say he will blurt out several coherent sentences.It happens quite a lot while watching football.

Re: Stroke! [Re: peej] #5772364
01/15/17 12:24 AM
01/15/17 12:24 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
sounds stupid but give him a roll of yarn and let him tie knots you wont believe how much it helps your hand eye coordination I told my P.T that and he couldn't believe no one else thought of that fishing helps a lot also, go slow with him nudge don't push.Its up to him to get better or not. God willing he will push himself, anything is possible, challenges bring self rewards and confidence, their are still things I don't feel confortable doing alone,im still very nervous setting 330while im by myself. And yes I have caught my self a few times, never bad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread