No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689386
11/04/16 11:38 AM
11/04/16 11:38 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
We've had good ones and some that couldn't find common sense if it hit them in the head. I've done some nuisance trapping out of season. In each case, I had to get permission from a CO. Most would tell me just to go ahead and trap the animal.

Another told me he would get a permit to me and under no circumstances was I allowed to even set foot on the property until I had the permit in hand. This was in the middle of summer and a nuisance beaver job. He also made it very clear that I absolutely couldn't keep the beaver. Shows how stupid he was. Summer-caught beaver are pretty much worthless; especially in this marginal fur market. When I asked him what I was supposed to do with the dead beaver, he said he didn't know, bury it maybe?

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689389
11/04/16 11:39 AM
11/04/16 11:39 AM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
Don't see any anymore. Reckon they figure I'm to old to be up to no good.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689401
11/04/16 11:56 AM
11/04/16 11:56 AM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
The vast majority here are stand up guys that go out of their way to do their jobs in a rational professional manner.

I have met a few that were real pieces of work.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Trapper Bo] #5689407
11/04/16 12:01 PM
11/04/16 12:01 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline OP
trapper
Marty  Offline OP
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted By: Trapper Bo
What county you hunting in Missouri, Marty?

Its been a few years but I hunted up around Mound City area. The warden that helped me out was in Platte County.

Aaron Post, very nice fellow.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689462
11/04/16 12:51 PM
11/04/16 12:51 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
I seen a game warden one time, he was on a tv show checking on someone.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689472
11/04/16 01:00 PM
11/04/16 01:00 PM
Ohio, Old fart to some.
ack Offline
trapper
ack  Offline
trapper

Ohio, Old fart to some.
ohio has some great guys as W.O.'s. my son has just over a semester left to have the certification to become one.

_________

I used to have superpowers… but a therapist took them away.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689482
11/04/16 01:15 PM
11/04/16 01:15 PM
Washington , N.C.
C
Cannon Ball Offline
trapper
Cannon Ball  Offline
trapper
C

Washington , N.C.
I have seen all kinds of GW's in my life time of hunting. I would call what they do profiling. if you look young and dumb get ready for an interrogation. If you look like you have not changed clothes in a week get ready. If you look like you just showered and are somewhat intelligent then you will probably be fine. If you look guilty of something get ready. If you look cool as a cucumber because you have done nothing wrong then you probably wont have a problem.

But above all things. No need to be all talky with them. Answer their questions and be polite but there is no need for a long drawn out conversation about anything - especially hunting related. This policy has worked well for me. And it has worked well. One of my local game wardens checked me trapping several times. Once he saw I had permission slips in my truck in a file folder and all my stuff was as it should be he never bothered me much again. I would see him on the river in the summer time when they were checking every boat ( especially the ones with the girls in bikini's ) I just got a friendly wave and that was it.

If I put my wife inside a high fence will her rack get bigger ?
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689489
11/04/16 01:25 PM
11/04/16 01:25 PM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline
trapper
muskrat411  Offline
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
the Game Warden where I am is really good to me.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689497
11/04/16 01:34 PM
11/04/16 01:34 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Just met the newest warden in my area. We chatted for awhile shooting the breeze and he's gonna call me on his next skunk job.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689638
11/04/16 04:49 PM
11/04/16 04:49 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Some of them are real good guys, some, I like them when they are sleeping.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689681
11/04/16 05:25 PM
New York
Camohoyt340 Offline
trapper
Camohoyt340  Offline
trapper

New York
I just have to comment on this discussion. Where I live, I grew up under the impression the game warden was someone to avoid and fear. When I began trapping, it was required that I contact the game warden to seal the bobcats I had caught. The first year they opened the season, I needed him to seal mine. I called him and after a few scheduling issues, he came to my house and sealed them. Well I don't think I had followed all the directions correctly and this was a new thing for him also. We ended up getting everything straightened out. He is a decent guy. I have his cell phone number and have called him a couple times regarding hunters poaching in front of my house.

The following year, I needed him to seal my bobcats. Same deal, after a couple meeting cancellations from both of us, he sealed my cats. Later in the season, I get a knock on my door very early on a Saturday morning. I get up and see a car pulling out of my driveway. I was a little confused. I went out and started checking my traps and saw the game warden was at one of my sets. I had nothing to worry about because I'm all legal. I go and talk to him and he tells me about a guy who called him earlier because he was walking his dog down the pipeline and found my traps. The guy said I was trapping illegally and had no tags on my traps. Right away I could clearly see that the game warden respected trappers and the amount of work that goes into trapping. We got in his truck and I led him to the location I thought he was talking about. We both walked out to one of my sets and saw some nice profanity written in the snow with footprints. The guy had stolen my trap (on a drag) and continued walking. We followed his tracks to another one of my sets where we saw the same profanity in the snow and again a missing trap. We talked with the landowner and confirmed that I had permission and the other guy also had permission to be there. The warden asked my opinion on whether or not I wanted the guy to be ticketed. I said "only if it is not going to cause a conflict with the landowner."

Later in the day, I received a phone call from the warden. He informed me that the guy had lied to him about the trap tags not being on the traps, since the warden had checked my other traps and clearly saw all the tags on there, he believed the guy took the tag off. The warden went to the guys house to get my traps, the guy only had one. The other one was thrown in the woods. The warden made the guy drive back to the location (10 miles from his house) and find my trap. the guy was ticketed for tampering with my traps and the warden delivered the traps to my house later in the day. I have nothing but the utmost respect for that warden. I'm not sure of his age, he looks pretty young. I believe he is the replacement for an older warden who had retired. Thanks again Warden ET

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689682
iowa
G
grizzwald660 Offline
trapper
grizzwald660  Offline
trapper
G

iowa
Talked to our new one on the phone. I was asking about youth regulations. He said that he trapped for years and would be happy to help us. Going to meet him next week. He was excited that I was starting a 7 year old trapping.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689691
11/04/16 05:36 PM
11/04/16 05:36 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Only 2 per county in Mo, so very little contact, unless you do it. I'm good with that, but they are all pretty good people so far.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689697
11/04/16 05:41 PM
11/04/16 05:41 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Trap in a load of different counties so started calling the warden to introduce myself before hand. 6 out 7 are great folks. Not bad odds considering.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689714
11/04/16 06:19 PM
11/04/16 06:19 PM
NW Missouri
M
MOcoonskinner Offline
trapper
MOcoonskinner  Offline
trapper
M

NW Missouri
Originally Posted By: Marty
Originally Posted By: Trapper Bo
What county you hunting in Missouri, Marty?

Its been a few years but I hunted up around Mound City area. The warden that helped me out was in Platte County.

Aaron Post, very nice fellow.

Yeh Aaron is a great guy. Doug Yeager is over the Clay/Platte line in Clay and hes a stand up guy too. I had a bunch (5 dozen) of goose decoys stolen a few years back and it was obviously someone local and they were using them. Those two guys checked every hunter they could find for two months looking for those decoys and called me several times to identify some that didnt turn up to be mine. Turns out once they started looking for mine they found a whole slew of stolen decoys that were stole from other people. I eventually found my decoys myself (local Highschool kid tried to sell them back to me after hunting season...Idiot) but Aaron and Doug worked their hind ends off for me that winter and I was never so glad to have them. Like most LEO's, if your doing what your supposed to be then their your greatest supporter, if not then their your worst enemy.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689720
11/04/16 06:27 PM
11/04/16 06:27 PM
new jersey
N
njtrapper1980 Offline
trapper
njtrapper1980  Offline
trapper
N

new jersey
all are pretty good around here, i mean i you get on their radar for doing something wrong look out but the ones i have run into are nice and use common sense, now the county park rangers thats a whole other story. they are only susposed to check county lands but in the last two years they will stop to check you on state and private land and sometimes check you more than once a day,

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689747
11/04/16 06:55 PM
11/04/16 06:55 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline OP
trapper
Marty  Offline OP
trapper

North East Kansas
The new guy here sux.

smile

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: MOcoonskinner] #5689750
11/04/16 06:57 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline OP
trapper
Marty  Offline OP
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted By: MOcoonskinner
Yeh Aaron is a great guy. Doug Yeager is over the Clay/Platte line in Clay and hes a stand up guy too. I had a bunch (5 dozen) of goose decoys stolen a few years back and it was obviously someone local and they were using them. Those two guys checked every hunter they could find for two months looking for those decoys and called me several times to identify some that didnt turn up to be mine. Turns out once they started looking for mine they found a whole slew of stolen decoys that were stole from other people. I eventually found my decoys myself (local Highschool kid tried to sell them back to me after hunting season...Idiot) but Aaron and Doug worked their hind ends off for me that winter and I was never so glad to have them. Like most LEO's, if your doing what your supposed to be then their your greatest supporter, if not then their your worst enemy.

Aaron went above and beyond to try to help me out on a stolen blind and deer decoy. He is top notch.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689751
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I know a few personally here in Georgia.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689756
11/04/16 07:03 PM
11/04/16 07:03 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Was once checked by the retired Steeler linebacker.Had herd he was difficult,
I didn't have a problem at all.

Just because we don't see them dose not mean they do not see us.

Another time while doing a Field Youth Day, there were a bunch of LEOs in the crowd. I did my best to touch on the grey areas of our trapping laws. They thanked me afterwards.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread