No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: rick olson] #5689791
11/04/16 07:42 PM
11/04/16 07:42 PM
jonestown, PA
Butcher Offline
trapper
Butcher  Offline
trapper

jonestown, PA
got a good one in my county. rides with me some times

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689804
11/04/16 07:58 PM
11/04/16 07:58 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Have to say also,Ive met numerous Game Wardens in numerous states I've trapped.
The ones I met in New Mexico,North Carolinia,North Dakota,and especially Arkansas,were really cool people.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689825
11/04/16 08:17 PM
11/04/16 08:17 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The wardens and I caught 4 coon and a skunk today It was a great day on the line. We released one coon out of a DP.

Great bunch of guys.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689849
11/04/16 08:43 PM
11/04/16 08:43 PM
Morehead city NC
JakeDog Offline
trapper
JakeDog  Offline
trapper

Morehead city NC
Originally Posted By: Marty
We got a new warden a few years ago and he is not pleasant at all.... smile

The last warden we had was very good but they fired him because he could not afford to buy a house in this county....purchased a house a few miles over the line that he could afford...and they canned him because you have to live in the county that you are assigned to work in.

It seems the new guy here thinks everyone he runs into is a criminal waiting for him to bust for something.

The kdwp law enforcement park rangers are very bad also.

I had the pleasure of running into some very nice game wardens on my Missouri hunts.

Anyway, trapping season open soon.

We had one a few years back that really enthusiastic about his job! I am the type nothing to hide? And would really give him a fit. He stopped me walking down a rock road, had fun in hand he stopped and asked "what I was doin?", I said "rabbit hunting" he asked "how many I had?" I asked "what's the limit?" Boy he thoug he had me too! Well it was a fun conversation back and forth, he'd demand to know how many I had and where they were! I would fire back I'll tell ya how many I got when you tell me what the limit was! I finally admitted I hadn't shot any yet! He was so mad he jumped in his truck and just took off! Me laughing!

He relaxed the closer he got to retirement.

Suppression rules/prevention drools

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689861
11/04/16 08:58 PM
11/04/16 08:58 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Had a local warden stop my brother last Saturday. He was on his 4 wheeler and headed to his stand for an evening hunt. The warden stopped him on a dirt road and attempted to write him up for not having the required amount of fluorescent orange on. My brother asked "How much orange do I need to have on when riding a 4 wheeler"? The warden realized he didn't have a leg to stand on and left him go with a "warning" lol

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689874
11/04/16 09:04 PM
11/04/16 09:04 PM
Milford,Mich.U.S.A.
C
conibearking Offline
trapper
conibearking  Offline
trapper
C

Milford,Mich.U.S.A.
I met ours about a month ago when I was fishing. We chatted awhile and asked him what he knew about trapping.He replied he knew the law but not much how it's done. He said his LT. trapped alot.
I have some books and info I'm giving him. He gave me his card and cell number. Very nice young man,very respectful, big as a tree! Seemed to have common sense and a level head.I really think he's going to be a very good C.O.

Proud member of: Alaska Trappers Assoc.
If you don't set steel,you don't catch fur!
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689911
11/04/16 09:37 PM
11/04/16 09:37 PM
manitoba, canada
J
Jeff Gillies Offline
trapper
Jeff Gillies  Offline
trapper
J

manitoba, canada
Our warden here is the best warden we've had since I was a young kid. I actually went to school with him for natural resources, and he charged more poachers and road hunters in his first 3 months than the previous 4 in all their years combined. I may be a little biased as he is my trapping partner and we put up fur together in his garage. He's great with my kids and a great sportsman. I know lots of guys probably dont like him but thats only because he actually enforces the laws, and they actually have to hunt legally.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Jeff Gillies] #5689943
11/04/16 10:06 PM
11/04/16 10:06 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
All the ones I've met in MO have been nice, friendly people. Got my first lessons in trapping from one.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5689948
11/04/16 10:16 PM
11/04/16 10:16 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
We have each other on speed dial. Whenever i see something that ned attention, I call him and when he needs a boat fast, he calls me. Simple as that

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: rick olson] #5690028
11/04/16 11:14 PM
11/04/16 11:14 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Originally Posted By: rick olson
We have 3 in our area,2 are real good stand up CO's with common sense,the other one is probably voting for Hillary.I'm sure he'll read this,but i dont care.Last dec,yes i said LAST DEC he seized our martens,stating they where tagged improperly,we have coupon tags[like a deer tags]does'nt have to be attached to the animal.You mark/cut out date,am/pm maten/fisher/otter we've always marked them with a ball point pen,cant change once you've marked them,he the CO said they need to be cut out with a knife to be vaild,i've talked to many CO's through out our state and everyone said my coupon tags were legal.Most of the time when you register your pelts to get your cite tags they do not even ask for the coupon tags,once since they started them about 5 years ago.Getting back to last dec,he just informed us we are getting tickets for our improperly tagged marten 10 months 27 days later,like i said he must be voting for Hillary,he's quick on his job NOT......Nick you should be more like Eric and Ben GOOD CO's or are you an ANTI......I guess we'll see each other in court....Enough of my rant,but i really dislike people that have no common sense.
Rick, what does the rule book say regarding the validation of your coupons ?

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690089
11/05/16 12:44 AM
11/05/16 12:44 AM
Idaville, Indiana
M
MB750 Offline
trapper
MB750  Offline
trapper
M

Idaville, Indiana
The CO's around me are mostly great guys if you give them a chance to be. Take time to introduce yourself to them. Once in a while there is that ONE who is new at the job & his badge & gun go to his head. Most of the time that wears off when they get some time under their belt.

For years I have been tomstrap, now I must change because of the whims of the cyber world. NRA Life, ISTA Life, FTA Life, NTA Life
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690101
11/05/16 01:49 AM
11/05/16 01:49 AM
Oklahoma
coonfinder Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday coonfinder  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
All of the ones that I ave meet her in Oklahoma have been really great! I am on the path to become a game warden after college also.

All life demands a struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy,selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690133
11/05/16 06:14 AM
11/05/16 06:14 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I've met very good ones here, and out of state.

Good for WI for running them through a trapping course. I do get nervous when I hear of a newbie coming on that has no trapping experience. I know other wardens who trap have had discussions about trapping to other wardens who don't trap as well.

As some of us know, Some wardens are also heavily linked to some of the trappers assoc's. I know of a couple that have helped in making law changes that greatly effect all us trappers in a positive way.

Last edited by Calvin; 11/05/16 06:15 AM.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690158
11/05/16 06:56 AM
11/05/16 06:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I've only ever met one GW I thought was a complete jerk. Was in CO during one of their deer/elk seasons. Was driving a back country county rd and he pulled me over. Had my wife with me. Said I was road hunting elk. Wanted me to let him "examine" the rifle I had. I opened the bolt so he could see it was unloaded and told him it was fine where it was. Things went downhill after that. Threatened to arrest me. Which I said was fine we will let the judge sort it out. Finally said I could go. Probably should have sued him. Only bad experience I ever had with one.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690162
11/05/16 07:02 AM
11/05/16 07:02 AM
South Central, MN
B
Blindsniper Offline
trapper
Blindsniper  Offline
trapper
B

South Central, MN
We've got a new guy around here and he's a straight up good guy. Been here maybe a year and he's not out to make your life hard and flex his muscle. Just does his job and does it with a handshake, a conversation and a smile.

I've dealt with the exact opposite many times in the past though. Always looking for something to write a citation about. I hope they moved him to the deepest darkest corner of MN. Zero people skills and he worked under the pretense that everyone has done something wrong or is hiding something. Every time we met, I'd get my truck searched and a verbal warning that he's always watching. I've never gotten a citation for anything, so why the warning? lol

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Blindsniper] #5690174
11/05/16 07:31 AM
11/05/16 07:31 AM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
I agree 100%,never had a issue or citation until this new co showed up,like i said the other two are very easy to work with.If your doing something wrong,you should get a ticket that's their job,but the one thats says your guilty all the time of some thing needs to find a new area to call home.I do think some of these CO are leaning hard one way about being ANTI trapping/hunting etc. it's sad if this is true in their field of work.

Last edited by rick olson; 12/02/16 08:13 AM.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: pcr2] #5690260
11/05/16 09:38 AM
11/05/16 09:38 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: pcr2
ours are taught we make money from the states animals and it's their job to get some of it.

I know you've had a few run-ins and been treated unfairly by at least one of the WCO's or DWCO's in your area, at least according to what I've heard from different sources.

But my experience, at least with Ragasta, has been nothing but positive. I had a hunter steal my traps, Ragasta located and returned them. One of my camp members trades, buys and sells guns with him regularly. I've met and interacted with Bill at least a dozen times over the years and he really seems like a decent guy. I was sorry to see him assigned to a different area, haven't met the new guy yet.

Here in my area of southeast Pa, the WCO's and DWCO's are great. One of them is a trapper and has gone to bat for me on several occasions involving trespassing dog-walkers and trap thieves. He even successfully prosecuted a couple of them.

Last time I met them (the WCO and DWCO) was on my front porch one evening after dark last trapping season. I answered a knock on my door and there they stood with one of my traps.

"Now what," I asked.

They explained how a trespassing dog-walker had got her dog into one of my sets. She couldn't free him so went and got her hubby who also couldn't free him and got bit in the attempt. Hubby pulls the stake and takes dog, trap and all, to a local vet. The vet depresses the levers, frees the uninjured dog and charges Mr. and Mrs. Trespasser $150.00 for an after-hours "emergency" visit.

The dog-walkers contact the PGC who contact the landowner, a good friend of mine who I still seek annual permission from and send annual "Thank-you" letters to despite his insistence that it is not necessary.

He tells them that I have permission to trap there but Mr. and Mrs. Trespassing Dog-Walker, "have no business on my property."

The Game Wardens go back to the dog-walkers, tell them to stay off the property under threat of prosecution if it happens again then hand deliver my trap to me and apologize for the trespassers messing up my set. I love these guys!

Over the last forty years I've met a few jerk WCO's. Usually young guys with a fresh, shiny badge looking to assert their new-found power (think mall-cop). Thankfully, they seem to be few and far between.

Eh...wot?

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690273
11/05/16 09:54 AM
11/05/16 09:54 AM
West Virginia
W
wvcoonman Offline
trapper
wvcoonman  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
The one we used to have in my area was a total jerk. Always looking to flex his muscles and write tickets out for anything. Now, that being said, he's the only jerk I ever had to deal with. The state finally found him a different position after he decided to write up every state trooper he could for not wearing helmets at a poker run for another state trooper that got hurt in the line of duty.

Now, with that being said, I've never had any run ins with the new local guys, but I've heard they're pretty good. The different ones I've ran into fishing various parts of the state all seem like top notch guys just making sure you're not keeping more than your limit. The thing about a game warden around here is that you'd literally need a dozen per county to cover the miles upon miles of backroom that get poached hard.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690304
11/05/16 10:38 AM
11/05/16 10:38 AM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
A couple of years ago I got permission to trap some land that the local part time warden also trapped. When he found out about it he was a complete jerk. You can't argue with a gun and a badge. The rest of them I've had no big problems.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690342
11/05/16 11:35 AM
11/05/16 11:35 AM
S.E. Pennsylvania
H
H. Fitzgerald Offline
trapper
H. Fitzgerald  Offline
trapper
H

S.E. Pennsylvania
Having spent many years hunting and trapping, I have came across good and bad. It seems that the new just out of school wardens are arrest happy. Had one warden here that hated steel traps. Had another deputy here that was a trapper so he thought he could pick up anyone's trap and inspect it and then put it back with the jaw up or not even close to where it was placed. Had another warden help me remove a live beaver from a mink trap and never even checked my license. Also had a woman warden here who ask me to take her on my beaver live and explain the sets. She admitted she knew nothing about trapping. Things went well till I told her I had to pee. She laughed and told me to find a tree and hide. She told me that was nothing new because of being in the field or on patrol with her deputies. Like I said some good , some not so good.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread